Leftover MWF

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Blue As A Jewel

Leftover MWF

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I've nearly finished a puck of MWF and I have a bunch of bits leftover - they've cracked but still lather - can they be amalgamated again - I've half tried and they really don't want to stick together - suggestions?
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

My MWF is in a tight container and getting near the bottom. I started getting residual soap around the edge my brush didn't pick up @ halfway down. I simply scraped the bits loose to rest on top and continued as usual. Eventually it lathered away. Chips, cracked pucks or a new puck- it still lathers regardless.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

You might get them good & wet and then rub them together for a minute, or if they're small enough pieces the same trick might be used to stick them to the top of a new puck.

I haven't actually tried that with MWF, just a suggestion based on other soap.
Sodapopjones

Post by Sodapopjones »

notthesharpest wrote:You might get them good & wet and then rub them together for a minute, or if they're small enough pieces the same trick might be used to stick them to the top of a new puck.

I haven't actually tried that with MWF, just a suggestion based on other soap.
You can also take a piece of plastic wrap, place it on the wet bits and press down with a lid or your fingers and get a thin piece to press out.

This works well with many soaps I have hand milled, :wink:
Hi, my name is Aaron and I'm the poster boy for Omega.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ravi they have stick back together for me just by getting the bits wet but if that didn't work I would wrap them wet in wax paper and mash them together.
Regards,
Squire
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Thanks for the suggestions - I did try and wet them to stick them together - but it really was a half attempt - I think I'll try the wetting and mashing bit...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I milled the remnants of my puck and pressed them in to an empty Harris Shaving Stick container. Works like a charm :D
Eric
Empty Words

Post by Empty Words »

When I have little bits of soap left, I wet them and rub them into my beard like a shave stick.
dcrosso

MWF pieces. What to do?

Post by dcrosso »

I know MWF is one the the best performing tallow soaps. If you have not tried Williams shaving soap, perhaps now is the time to try it. Put the Williams into a nice mug and take the MWF pieces and work it into the edges of the Williams puck. You now have a nice super cream when you lather up. I did that with some dried out Cella and it works great.
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

You could unwrap a new puck and mash it down into the last (damp) bits of the previous puck.

- Will
nav

Post by nav »

wenestvedt wrote:You could unwrap a new puck and mash it down into the last (damp) bits of the previous puck.

- Will
I would mash the left over MWF bits on top of the new puck. That way, the old puck gets used up first.
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I take all my leftover bits from various soaps and smash them in a tin for use when traveling. The traveling Frankensoap works quite well, though not as good as MWF alone.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

We could always make a group collection of remnants and leave it as gift at Mother Shipley's cave in Yorkshire to insure MWF always stays in production.
a-cut-above

Re: MWF pieces. What to do?

Post by a-cut-above »

dcrosso wrote:I know MWF is one the the best performing tallow soaps. If you have not tried Williams shaving soap, perhaps now is the time to try it. Put the Williams into a nice mug and take the MWF pieces and work it into the edges of the Williams puck. You now have a nice super cream when you lather up. I did that with some dried out Cella and it works great.
This is what I have done with "remnants" (including ends of shave sticks) for years: I pack them around a William's puck. I call it my William's potpourri in the SOTD posts.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)