TOBS St. James Scent Question

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
jww
Woolly Bully

TOBS St. James Scent Question

Post by jww »

Has anyone had experience with this soap? I am looking to add a shave stick to my travel kit and am intrigued at the list of ingredients which include "Bergamot and Mandarin combined with crisp herbs. Heart notes utilise florals, fruits and spices on a base of Sandalwood, Amber, Patchouli and Musk" according to Fendrihan. I am simply curious how it smells in layman's terms. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

Wendell,

I've never tried the soap, but I did buy a tub of the cream several years ago. If I had to describe the scent with a single word, it would be "weird". It's hard to describe. There's a medicinal note to it. It's certainly not like anything else out there.

I think St James is probably one of those love it or hate it scents.

Regards,
Rick
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Thanks - I don't want to take a chance on something I haven't tried unless there is good intel from around the forum.
Wendell

Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

If it smells like the cream, think a less musky T&H 1805 with a stronger Aquatic note (assuming you’ve sampled 1805). It is a modern type aquatic scent that is quote pronounced when in the cream form. The cologne has a nice staying power as well.

I like the scent enough to use it 2-3 times a month, but that is it for me.
PeterS

Post by PeterS »

Esoteric83 wrote:If it smells like the cream, think a less musky T&H 1805 with a stronger Aquatic note (assuming you’ve sampled 1805). It is a modern type aquatic scent that is quote pronounced when in the cream form. The cologne has a nice staying power as well.

I like the scent enough to use it 2-3 times a month, but that is it for me.
I also found the St James very similar to the 1805, just as Mr Taylor is similar to the Grafton.

Pete
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

That's interesting. It's funny how people percieve smells differently. I see the similarity between Grafton and Mr. Taylor (though only slightly), but St. James seems nothing at all like 1805 to me.

Regards,
Rick
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

gruffydd3 wrote:That's interesting. It's funny how people percieve smells differently. I see the similarity between Grafton and Mr. Taylor (though only slightly), but St. James seems nothing at all like 1805 to me.

Regards,
Rick
Very true. I quite like the St. James scent but really don't care for 1805 at all. Both fall under what I perceive as 'aquatic', but 1805 (both cream & edt) have this repulsive base note that remind me of something an old lady would wear!

I also believe the TOBS cream performs better for me, but as always YMMV.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Let me ask my question this way.

How would you describe the scent to someone who has no reference point to draw from? Not that I don't know what 1805 smells like, but I am looking for a non-product related description rather than a comparative description.
Wendell

ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

Not relating it to other scents I would say the lemon and mandarin(combo) come out the most in the scent. I think the blend of the amber and patchouli help mellow it out of its citrus scent though. The bergarmot might also be to blame but it helps out every scent and gives it that earthy yet citrusy scent. If you arent looking at the cologne or AS and just the soap I wouldnt worry about the complexity. Lemon/mandarin with a musky undertone is what you will get. I have the cologne, AS, and SC but not the soap. BTW...I have it on both wrists and smelling a tub of the SC right now. Another note...I have never heard anyone disliking the scent;)
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

Describing a scent without a comparison is next to impossible for me. I would howvever be happy to put a sample of the cream in the mail for you.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

jww wrote:Let me ask my question this way.

How would you describe the scent to someone who has no reference point to draw from? Not that I don't know what 1805 smells like, but I am looking for a non-product related description rather than a comparative description.
to me, 1805 smells like cucumbers. how's that? :P
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
IanM

Post by IanM »

Not wiffed the soap, but I have just had my nose in the tub of cream that I have.

There's a freshness there. Slightly sharp but not overly so. The sharpness is a little more rounded than say a lime scented cream.

Also, I wouldn't really class it as a traditional scent. It's a little bit more modern to my nose.

That's my description, but I don't really have a reference point.

There's nothing about it that I don't like.

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Thanks all -- this has been helpful -- I will probably grab a stick for my travel bag to supplement my Palmolive classic stick that I carry in it everywhere I go.

Think it's time to order a Semogue 1305 and a new supply of alum at the same time.

:D
Wendell

gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Wendell,

Here is the link to Taylor's fragrance descriptions - hope it helps - I have Almond and Mr. Taylor's and like them both.

http://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/acatal ... ances.html
Good shaving,

Gary
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Thanks Gary -- that looks helpful. What I really wanted was D.R. Harris Lavender, but none of my Canadian suppliers have had that in stock in quite some time. So - I am thinking St. James may be the next best option for now.
Last edited by jww on Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendell

95%

Post by 95% »

gil3591 wrote:
jww wrote:Let me ask my question this way.

to me, 1805 smells like cucumbers. how's that? :P
To me it smells like Taylor's Avocado, to the scent of which I had an aversion (putting it far too mildly.)
Porter
brothers

Post by brothers »

Coming into the discussion a few months down the road, thanks to my samples from Joanna at TSD, out of all of the 6 I got, St. James is the only one I enjoyed so thoroughly that I immediately purchased (with parabens) from Connaught. I also used up the whole sample before I started on the tub.

I had a tube of the earlier version of Avocado that I thought I enjoyed, until I became familiar with St. James. At first I thought they were nearly identical, but it didn't take even a week until I became aware that I no longer found the fragrance of the Avocado shaving cream to be attractive. I gave it away.

The fragrance of St. James, to me, is fresh and clean, masculine and it does remind me of the sharpness I associate with a spring morning with bright sunshine and I'm feeling great. YMMV :lol:

Regarding the lather, it's excellent, whether loaded directly onto the Omega 20106 boar and face lathered, or lathered in a bowl with the badger.

Based on all of the above, I'm now ready to order up a stick of St. James soap to go with the cream.

Wendell, if you've managed to read this far, sir, I'm interested in knowing if you were able to get yourself a stick of the soap, and what your impression is.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Never actually got a stick, as I found some Lavender and purchased that instead -- but did get a stick of Arlington as well, which I also quite like.
Wendell