Truefitt & Hill's New Sandalwood Shaving Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Out of fear that I might never experience the current pre-reformulation T&H Lavender, I purchased a pot of it today. This is a grievous trespass against my ongoing battle with myself to not buy any new stuff until I "need" it. HAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol: , that makes me laugh, just reading it. I'm an idiot. Anyway, the statement I've read in these forums that T&H Lavender is pretty close to Coate's is all the motivation I could honestly ask for. I'm pretty sure what I receive is going to be the good stuff, but the proof will be in the pudding, won't it? I have a dab or two of the old Coates to compare to. Fingers crossed and all that.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

When I saw the words "Truefitt & Hill's", "New", "Sandalwood" and "Shaving" at the start of the thread, I had a momentary burst of joyous anticipation hoping the next word would be "soap". Maybe T&H will get their act together, stop fussing with creams that don't need fussing, send the Marketing Dept. on holiday (or re-assign to the loading dock), and put their chemists to work on an excellent sandalwood shave soap. Tallow would be nice, but they did a good job on their only shave soap, so I could cut them some slack and hope they do a good job with a vegetable oil formula (lots of potassium salts, and stearates please).
Hope springs eternal.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
e d o

Post by e d o »

Whenever I see the words "sandalwood", "new" and "re-formulated" I immediately think that they need to put less sandalwood EO in it due to scarcity and expense. Of course this only applies to products scented with the genuine article and not a synthetic fragrance.
TruefittBrittney
Vendor

Post by TruefittBrittney »

Hello, SMF!

We thought it would be good to shed some light on the new Sandalwood. Many of you have contacted us directly regarding the reformulation, details, etc. The fragrance is indeed different from the older, Sandalwood. We know some of our shave cream purists will naturally prefer the old to the new, however, truth be told, the old Sandalwood was by no means a barn-burner, here in the U.S. or in Europe. The new Sandalwood is made from the same base all of our creams are made from – a base that generates incredible lather and cushion. There will also be a complimentary line of Balm and Cologne to accompany the Sandalwood Shave Cream as well. We’re looking forward to integrating the new Sandalwood into our range – and anticipating it will do well. The new Sandalwood tub will come in the 6.7 oz. size and we expect our first shipment to arrive today or tomorrow. In the coming months, we will be incorporating the new Sandalwood Cream and Balm into our Sample-paks. However, until then, we will only be offering the new Sandalwood in Shave Cream Tubs, Aftershave Balm and Cologne.

On a different topic, we often receive questions regarding a number of our products, one in particular is the Ultimate Comfort Shave Cream. Originally developed and marketed by North America, most UC Products were made in Canada at one time. We have since changed production from Canada to the U.S., except for the shave cream. Despite the package difference, UC Shave Cream has always been produced in the UK, and shipped to our Canadian facility or what has now become our North American factory. Ultimate Comfort Shave Cream remains as one of our most popular and requested products around the world.

Other ranges which include 1805, Trafalgar, Grafton, West Indian Limes, Lavender, Almond and Rose have remained the same and will continue to do so. As production continues, we’ll transition the remaining ranges from the traditional 5.8 oz tub size to the new, 6.7 oz tub. The latter three fragrances will be making the change to the larger tubs in the coming months.

As always, thank you for being a valued Truefitt & Hill customer. We appreciate your passion for wet-shaving!

Brittney & The Truefitt & Hill Team
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Thanks for the information, Brittney. I'm glad to know the base formula will be the same as the other creams and not identical to the UC cream. Also, of course, I am thrilled to know that the rose and lavender creams will remain unchanged save for the size of the tubs.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Sadly, I'm sure Brittny meant 'complementary' rather than 'complimentary' - but who am I to turn down such a generous offer?

Chris
Forum Pedant
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I too am glad to be reassured that their other creams will remain the same, in scent as well as formula. Whether the UC cream is actually compounded in Canada ( as the bottom of the pots used to proclaim ) or the US, or the UK, it is clearly a different product from the rest of the T&H creams and I would have been chagrined indeed if any of them had been shifted over to that formula. Thankfully, that does not seem to be the case. The T&H Lavender is one of my most favourite shave products of anything still being produced and I'd hate to lose it. In fact, it's probably time to get some more pretty soon ( chuckle ). Thanks for the post, Brittney.
Regards,
Gordon
Ken

Post by Ken »

drmoss_ca wrote:Sadly, I'm sure Brittny meant 'complementary' rather than 'complimentary' - but who am I to turn down such a generous offer?

Chris
Forum Pedant
Chris,

And I'm sure you would have received all that stuff free if only you had spelled her name correctly.

Ken
drumana

Post by drumana »

haha! Zing!
-Andrew-
paddy

Post by paddy »

OK, I'll fess up. I actually like UC.

I think I'll get me hat now...
fwiw i also rate truefitt's ultimate comfort cream very highly. i never fail to get anything other than a superlative shave with it. i've tried around 40 different types of creams and UC is in my top five.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Paddy, how would you characterize the fragrance of the UC cream?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
paddy

Post by paddy »

it's definitely lavender based. fairly mild and quite pleasant to the nose.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

^^ Similar to Castle Forbes as it is Lavnder EO but not quite as potent.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Esoteric83 wrote:^^ Similar to Castle Forbes as it is Lavnder EO but not quite as potent.
The UC is no where as potent as the CF lavender - I find it a very delicate lavender with an almost vanilla creaminess to it...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

^^I found that a sample I had around the time it came out was in the ball park but not quite as strong.

I did however think it shaved better than CF Lavender. Probably because at that time I had not quite nailed down the cream / water mix. I traded it off years ago. The Limes is where it's true potential became clear to me.
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I wanted to resurrect this thread and ask if there's any consensus on how T&H Sandalwood Cream performs? Is it the same formulation as the traditional cream, or more like their UC cream? How's the scent??
Cheers,

Craig
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

I just opened a tube of the new Sandalwood - my take is that is performs equally as well as any other scented T&H cream (my experience is 1805 & Grafton).

The scent is very amicable - while I am not familiar with their original Sandalwood, this is a fine bouquet. Not quite Trumper's but certainly a contender...
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Thanks Jason! I think that T&H creams are the best that are currently available. Glad to learn that the scent of their Sandalwood is decent.
Cheers,

Craig