how long does MWF last??? i know..

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
marsos52

how long does MWF last??? i know..

Post by marsos52 »

i little while back there were some posts about how long a puck of soap lasted from beginning to end..

so i thought it would be cool to see for myself...i started a brand new puck of mwf the first of this year.. i shave 7 days a week, and do three passes a shave..

i will admit maybe one time a month i shaved with trumpers for a change up..

well this week i totally finished the puck of MWF.. there is still a ultra small ring of soap left around the sides of the dish.. but it isnt worth the effort to use it. thats how tiny it is.. generally i use that little ring of left over soap to helf anchor the next puck to the soap dish.

also i should add..i used my two rooney brushes and fully load them..
i like after my shave to do a cool water rince and re-lather my face while i clean-up my mess and put my stuff away..

if i didnt fully load these brushes im sure i would have gotten at least another month ...many two months from the soap

so all in all,, i got eight months from that puck of mwf.. and it was a very nice experience too

marc
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

8 months seems to be the norm for all soaps. I think Im still the record holder here with the magical puck of trumpers rose...3 years and counting LMAO

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
cymric

Post by cymric »

8 months, 7 days a week, 3 pass-shave? That means (as a puck of MWF is 125 g) you used 0.55 g soap per shave. It means you use about half of what I normally use. I would not be able to do a comfortable 3 pass-shave with just 0.55 g of soap. One and a half-pass at best, I think.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

clive,,, i am guessing you shave just once a week or just use the trumpers once a week???

cymric you have really done the math ,,wow..just for the record,,i totally load my brushes fully. and get great lather..and i always even after lathering four times still mostly have alot lesft in my brush..im not stingy
with my lather at all..

marc
cymric

Post by cymric »

marsos52 wrote:i totally load my brushes fully. and get great lather..and i always even after lathering four times still mostly have alot lesft in my brush..im not stingy with my lather at all.
What do you mean with 'fully loading'? How long do you spend on the puck?
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

cymric ,,,when i say i load my bushes fullly..i get as much soap as the brush can hold. how much time i use to do that,,,i have no clue..
i just can feel it...i doesnt take long at all..when the brush is full if i keep trying to load more soap the brush than begins to make lather

so that's how i know..im very old school and i make lather and everything else with shaving by feel..and decades of practice

my lather is not think and not loose or watery..but at the thicker side of things.. when i have my face lathered and ready to shave..you cant see thru the lather ,that is for sure..i dont go for the santa claus look..mounds and mounds of lather..just enough for cushion and protection

hope that helps
marc
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Lets see, I joined SMF 11 months ago. I had a Merkur HD and blades, a puck of Williams and turkeybaster brush in my treasured coffeecup from Romania honouring Vlad Teps the Impaler- my kind of guy for subtlety.
I upgraded to a Vulvix best grade brush and Trumpers rose for a month.
I discovered MWF and gifted the Trumpers and brush to my nephew and my first puck of MWF to the bicycle man trying to shave with gas station pink hand soap.
I was in turn gifted with a Grosvenor LE and two pucks of MWF by 3 friends. So I've been using puck #2 since Oscar Wilde's and my shared birthday- another my kind of guy for being outrageous. I give my face a cursory one pass on day one and a full three pass on alternate days. I gently recover any remaining soap from the brush back into my container and rub my hands in what isn't scraped off. The next morning I will stare at the dried foam and brush marks for winning lottery numbers- ancient celtic form of divination.
The puck only recently revealed a crescent of container base. I expect I am good until Winter Solstice/Christmas,Channuka when I will replicate the folkstory of stone soup with my multicultural friends and relations.
I'm not on a crippled Apollo spacecraft measuring oxygen and fuel. I use the stuff like Mickey Mouse in Fantasia controlling water.
I managed to splash coffee on my face and Woods of Windsor in my mouth pre sunrise today.Wait till Basenotes hears THIS review! SLEEP, now that's something worth measuring :lol:
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I managed to splash coffee on my face and Woods of Windsor
just another addition to the long list of smf horror stories, which by the way are Uber funny as long as they are happening to someone else :lol:

Marc, 3 times a week, 4 if im getting kissed, BUT I also lather up twice because I shave my head as well.....so all in all I go to the puck as often as a regular shaver

clive
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

clive ,,by now you should know not to always take me seriously
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

LOL, I know but others new to forum readign thread might be confused :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

marsos52 wrote:clive,,, i am guessing you shave just once a week or just use the trumpers once a week???

cymric you have really done the math ,,wow..just for the record,,i totally load my brushes fully. and get great lather..and i always even after lathering four times still mostly have alot lesft in my brush..im not stingy
with my lather at all..

marc
A truly fully loaded brush would probably make enough lather (real lather, not suds) to fill up the bathtub, and it would use up a quarter or so of the puck of soap.

All we mean by a fully loaded brush is that there's a generous amount more than enough to shave with, and that changes according to who's doing the shaving, whether the water is any good, and whatever else.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yeah, there certainly are a number of relevant factors. For years, back when I only bought one cake of soap at a time and used it every day until it was gone, I used to get 6-7 months of shaves from a cake ( C&E. later Trumpers ). But I didn't do as many passes back then, nor did I load the brush as fully, and the brushes I was using weren't as high grade. Just guessing, today I'd probably get no more than maybe four, or four and a half, months from a similiar cake.
Regards,
Gordon
cymric

Post by cymric »

notthesharpest wrote:A truly fully loaded brush would probably make enough lather (real lather, not suds) to fill up the bathtub, and it would use up a quarter or so of the puck of soap.
Even though the above is a rhetorical reply: I doubt it. There isn't sufficient room in the brush to absorb a quarter puck of soap; and the viscosity would be so high that it wouldn't penetrate the denser areas of the brush.
All we mean by a fully loaded brush is that there's a generous amount more than enough to shave with, and that changes according to who's doing the shaving, whether the water is any good, and whatever else.
So I am trying to put some numbers to the matter. Some people load for a count of three to five and consider their brush 'fully loaded' at that point. I consider that 'a waste of time and shaving soap'. In addition MWF is full of chelating agents meaning that water hardness is eliminated as a variable up to a certain point.

Average soap usage per shave in grams or ounces remains for me the most interesting indicator, and quite fortunately it's very easy to calculate: how many shaves until the soap is gone.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

This I know: MWF, in company with many other fine products lasts just long enough so I miss the excitement of a package from Phil. I have made a mathematical discovery. MWF @ $13 is just enough to round up an order to His $80 free shipping pricebreak. I have run this calculation with hypothetical orders both rational and surrendering to my spirit guide, the magpie. 10 out of 10 recent hypothetical orders all found a puck pushing it to the magic savings amount.
I was at the drive through crematorium earlier. Girl asks " do you want to supersize your order or get a beverage?" I just sighed, calculating how many bars of Mitchells I can buy carrying water in the car and declined.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i honestly had no idea that you guys have calculated things so far..
i would never even dream of even doing the simplest of math for any thing dealing with shaving soap

and even though i am amazed with your interestes and thinking...im not going in..i just simply enjoy the product and the old world shaving process

i really could not care if a shaving soap puck lasts a month or a year..

maybe because i have been shaving with de's for so many years without really good soaps and brushes..or maybe just getting to old to dwell on the deeper side ...

in fact as most know i use only two lathering products.. and seldom even try others...well my point is it wasnt easy not rotating to the trumpers as often as i am used too

this week i have shaved 3 or 4 times in a row with trumpers and it feels so good..

and no im not going to see how long a puck of trumpers will last me

especially after this thread

have fun guys i know i do

marc
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I doubt it will last with more than 5 months if shaved daily. I need to order a few pucks, since on center a hole already appearing on the current one.

Jarmo
Jarmo
ferroburak

Post by ferroburak »

That is not bad :)
jpq5

Post by jpq5 »

KAV you have the most interesting anecdotes
The difference between genius and stupidity is that
genius has it's limits. ---Albert Einstein
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

3+ months for me if I use the same product but I shave twice daily.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I find it almost impossible to stay with only one cream or soap product for even a week. I did recently stay with one for about 10 days, it took a lot of effort, and I'm proud to claim that small victory. I'm currently embarking on a planned month-long stint with my friend Castle Forbes Cedarwood. I'm sure I can do it, but I think there will be a day here and there when I veer off the sidewalk to try something new. If I give myself that little freedom but don't let myself feel as though I've failed by taking just one day away from "job 1", then I can make it all the way to October on the CF.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444