Favorite soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
MARKHOLLADAY

Favorite soaps

Post by MARKHOLLADAY »

I was wondering what is everybody's favorite soap and why ( lather , scent, etc ) ?
95%

Post by 95% »

Mark, I welcomed you just now in the other forum, but welcome again. If you will read the posts in Big Swifty's thread below called "the One", you'll get an idea of our varied preferences.
Porter
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

First, welcome to the forum. My favoured hard soap is Mitchell's Wool Fat.
I have some small background in the sheep industry via a 2 year agriculture degree. I do not suffer lanolin allergies and it's superb for my skintype. It can be problematical creating lather with hard water and not as popular in humid and hot climes. As a educated consumer, I know the english farm communities do not practice the horrors of factory farming and keep rural land resources better intact for UK native wildlife. The pressure against it's use in products is by animal welfare activists with an agenda. The irony is the UK has a large rare domestic animal population and active farmers preserving this diversity.Anthropologicaly this is called appropriate technology VS the clearcutting of southeast asian rainforest for palm oil monoculture.
This is a product that exchanged the problems of domestic animal ethics for wild animal ethics. There are some lovely products that use it. My issue is having to determine if their palm oil resources are biosustainable.
Oh, MWF smells nice, has minimal packaging and lasts me 9 months per puck.
MARKHOLLADAY

Post by MARKHOLLADAY »

I too really like MWF, I have created my own lanolin enriched soap that has twice the lanolin as MWF and is easier to lather because the soap is of a softer consistency. I will be offering free samples of my soap in the very near future just for feedback before I offer it for sale
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

tabac-lather and scent
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

The shave soaps from Geo. F. Trumper and D R Harris. They are triple milled and thus very dense and last a good long time, while at the same time delivering superlative lather with adequate cushion for the sharp blades and shaving style that I use. They are also available in a number of very classy old fashioned scents ( both firms being old Jermyn Street perfumers afterall ). They are my benchmark and pretty much the only shave soaps I'll spend money on these days.
Regards,
Gordon
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

D R Harris Almond.

Dry, earthy scent (Eau De Qunine, apparently) and great lather and the almond oil is good for the skin (again, apparently).

I like the fact it hasn't been arsed about with for nearly 100 years (and thrice I say, apparently).
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

The virtue of a favourite is the paradox of trying something different with the known. I've tried a artisan soap and a major american brand that sent me into the shower in physical distress. There are a few more I have tried, and intend to with their own delights. A 'favourite' is like the apple eaten between wine tastings to clear the palet.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Mark, Harris Almond and Trumpers Lime, both for performance and scent. There is a lot of good stuff out there but I could easily live with just the two.

If you want to make a commercially viable product just copy the best.
Regards,
Squire
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Tabac and MWF. Great stuff and especially like the scent of the Tabac.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

In no particular order. These are my current favorites:

Cella
Speick
Institut Karite
MWF
Paul
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i have tried a good amount of soaps and creams

i have narrowed down to two ...that give me what i call the WOW factor..

wow. is when i use a product that proforms in every single way i want and like and expect.

what i look for in a shaving cream or soap (i like soaps much more)
is cushion and protection.. scent,, how it lathers,,and how my face feels after using the product

the two that give me all these things and puts a smile on my face is
Mitchells wool fat,, and trumpers ...most i use the coconut oil but my bowl has a fresh puck of rose and thats smells great and does exactly the same as the coconut

marc
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

Trumper Rose & Harris Arlington get weekly airtime, regardless of the season.

I couldn't say one or the other is 'better' though.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Gold Dachs Spezial remains a favorite of mine for quite some time. Clean, fresh soapy scent along with close cutting performance, seems to really get the hairs standing while being quite slick with decent cushion. It's the only soap I have multiples of in my stash.

A close second would go to Cella, Valobra (stick) and Speick but Gold Dachs is clearly on top for me.
Good shaving,

Gary
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

My favorites change almost weekly but I would have to say Tabac or Trumpers Rose. I have 3 Trumpers soaps(Almond, Limes, Rose) and had Violet. The Rose is by far better in quality. Dont know what it is but it is nice! I am going to give Palmolive an honorable mention as well.
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

In order of preference:

TABAC: very rich lather, scent is pleasantly strong. Does not dry out

Mitchell's Wool Fat: rich lather, scent its very nice. VG skin conditioning afterward

Palmolive stick: great for travel and face lather. Nice scent. Does not dry out skin

ARKO Stick: great for travel and face lather. Scent is good. Does dry skin a little, so best for summer or warmer climates.

These are the currently available soaps I have tried and a liked thus far. I will try Trumpers some day!
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
MARKHOLLADAY

Post by MARKHOLLADAY »

What does everyone like to spend on average for there shave soap or is quality more important than price ???
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

MARKHOLLADAY wrote:What does everyone like to spend on average for there shave soap or is quality more important than price ???
i think you're running in a crowd that would ignore price for quality
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

My two favorites in daily usage are D.R. Harris Almond and Tabac. Both are superb, IMO. I can't say which is better.

I'd also give honorable mention (at least) to Valobra stick shave soap and Art of Shaving shave soap. Both are tallow-based, and I think both perform quite well.

If you can disregard price (and considering how long a puck lasts, it really isn't a great deal of cash), you might buy:

Harris Almond
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Tabac
Trumpers Rose

I can tell you that -- while there are lots of great choices -- there is a lot of enthusiasm and passion around here for those four soaps in particular. But -- even with these titans -- here are some complaints that you hear from some members:

* The MWF has lanolin and not everyone can handle that.
* Tabac is highly scented and some people don't like it.
* I personally seem to get some irritation from all Trumpers products, and I imagine that I'm not alone.
* I've heard some complaints that Harris Almond smells too much like quinine and is not sufficiently almond-y.

So, not everything works for everyone. I promise you, however, that you could easily trade -- on the Selling and Trading forum below -- a lightly used puck of ANY of those soaps.

Finally -- as a cost saving measure -- I suggest that you skip wooden bowls or ceramic jars offered by the mfg. You can always get that later, if you've settled on certain products. Meantime -- IMO -- it's just extra expense that you can easily avoid.

Good luck!
KAV

Post by KAV »

I like to spend all the money I used to waste on Gilllette and Barbasol.