Hooked on Canned Lather

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Im sort of surprised that the 'geeks' are being so nonchalant(?) about the can.

the stuff is horrible...man up and admit it hahaha :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

I used Edge sensitive for and mach 3 and the turbo for years. The problem with me was the cartridge razor was hell on my face. I found the DE and everything was great. I went back to try the can stuff and found that it was a great product but too much cushion for me(foams). I understand why they do it and probably cater to the catridge crowd as cushion is very important with that type of razor. I to can resort back though as it is just not fun at all the scents just dont compare.
95%

Post by 95% »

Speaking just for myself, the English creams and soaps work perfectly with my Gillette Fusion ProGlide. I'd try the canned lather again, except I don't want to miss a day's shave with the good stuff.
Porter
brothers

Post by brothers »

I don't mind the canned shaving cream, actually, it's just as Gordon has stated: it's more fun with the brush and the lathering process. I have noticed one thing about ALL aerosol shaving creams I've ever used over the decades - they all have a similar overriding chemical smell and/or skin reaction that doesn't go away for several hours afterward. That is another main reason that once I got that Tweezerman brush and a tube of COBigelow Proraso and had that first "real" shave, I turned a corner that has changed my shaving experiences for the rest of my life.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Captnp

Post by Captnp »

I'm afraid I too must admit that after nearly 2 decades of shaving with a brush and some fine creams, mostly Trumper (but I've only been using a DE for about 4 years), I'm getting stellar shaves with standard old Gillette Foamy.

It started a couple of months ago when I worked a 24+ hr shift at work and suddenly had to be presentable to a potential client. A quick dash to a convenience store brought a travel kit with a small can of Foamy and some 2 blade monstrosity. But I thought, and subsequent shaves showed, that Foamy seemed to be very good for me.

Now I'm someone whose skin fairs better with Trumper's Rose, meant for sensitive skin, than their Lime cream but Foamy is better still. Like the difference many find between cream and soap.

Not quite as fun as a brush but much better for my skin.
John N.

Post by John N. »

I actually really like Aveeno Positively Smooth shave gel. It has a very nice almond scent, is quite slick, has OK+ cushion and is less drying than foams I have used. I find that I use it when I am short of time, and it never disappoints. The process is not as much fun as cream/soap scuttle & brush, but the end result is good and takes less time to achieve.
J.
John N.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

95% wrote:Speaking just for myself, the English creams and soaps work perfectly with my Gillette Fusion ProGlide. I'd try the canned lather again, except I don't want to miss a day's shave with the good stuff.
When I use my Fusion, which is not that often anymore, the good soaps I usually use work extremely well in combination with it.
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

notthesharpest wrote:
95% wrote:Speaking just for myself, the English creams and soaps work perfectly with my Gillette Fusion ProGlide. I'd try the canned lather again, except I don't want to miss a day's shave with the good stuff.
When I use my Fusion, which is not that often anymore, the good soaps I usually use work extremely well in combination with it.
Seconded.

Or is it thirded?

I don't know. Where's my tea? That's nice dear.
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Of the five shaves I do per week, three are with a brush and various creams, two are with canned foam when I want to save some time.

Currently working on a 14+ Oz. can of Old Spice sensitive ($1.00 at Walgreens), with aloe and lanolin. Using this stuff, there comes an obvious point in each pass where the face is just too dry to continue without rinsing and applying another coat for another pass. With the creams, a residual thin film lingers that allows a few more strokes before rinse, lather, repeat.

The creams w. brush allow for a bit closer shave, but as my technique has been refined in recent months, the canned foam allows enough of a DFS to get through most days.

In a related vein, I got a flyer in the mail for a recently opened Sav-On drug store, part of a local chain. A trip through the mens' shaving section revealed some interesting, often hard-to-find items, at competitive prices:

Barbasol Skin Conditioning (Yellow striped can)

Noxzema Sensitive (red can)
Noxzema Aloe & Lanolin (green can)
Noxzema Regular (white can like Gunilla Knutson used to hustle on TV)

Gillette Foamy Barber Shop formula (blue & red can)

Schick injector blades, 7-pack for $5.69

Gem Blue Star SE blades in a 5-pack
Gem Personna SE blades in a 10-pack
House Brand SE blades from Korea...

Bic Metal razors

Missing from all this was any DE blades, but the last time I was in a Sav-On store, they had a house brand in what appeared to be a Personna DE dispenser. We shall see.

This store seems serious about attracting new customers, and they put the CVS store up the street from them to shame.
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

I was "satisfied" with canned stuff for years. Mostly I used Barbasol and Edge.

For the heck of it, I bought a VDH boar brush and their standard soap. And I ain't going back to cans. Ever. I've been using soaps and tube creams for almost a year. They led me to DE shaving. And I ain't a'goin' back!
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

Well, I for one am glad there are folks that use the canned stuff, even if I don't. You see, I work in an aerosol factory and we make shaving cream for several companies.

While I really enjoy using a brush, and to be totally honest, I get better shaves with traditional cream and soaps, I owe a bit of thanks to those that use the canned creams and gels, along with other aerosol products. You folks have provided quite a nice Christmas for my loved ones.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

:twisted: You should all be ashamed of yourselves! EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU :twisted:

You make me sick. Speaking so nonchalantly in open public like this. Giving high praises to that canned goop. You deserve what is coming to you, all of you! Remember, you all brought this upon yourselves!

This thread will eventually be seen by one of the people who make that canned goop you praise and love, and it will lead them to think they are on to something, which will result in exactly 2 things:

1) Reformulation
2) Price hikes

Aside from all the above tongue-n-cheek-ery, kudos to you gents for finding something readily available that works well for you!

I, as many have said, will never go back. While I would bet that some of them would work well for me now that I am using a DE and good technique, I like the scent choices and the skin pampering I get from soaps and creams..... not to mention if SWMBO were to find that 1.50 canned goo works for me, my soap/cream budget would deflate :roll:
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
Barbiere di Figaro
Vendor

Post by Barbiere di Figaro »

The Noxzemas mentioned in this thread are diffrent than the ones available in Italy. I will add the pics here:

And the Proraso is also available in a red version, for the sensitive skin:

No Price hikes here Razorburned!

Bye,

Eric
www.barbieredifigaro.nl
Subscribe to our newsletter? http://eepurl.com/bUYYb
Want to become friends with us on Facebook? http://tinyurl.com/7zhehql
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'll admit that if I had access to those variations of Noxzema and the Red Proraso here in the USA, I'd have to have at least one of each, and face the consequences. If I could only have one, it would be the Menthol. I guess it only makes it more enticing to think that there's no way I can think of to get my hands on one, or two. I reckon there's always going to be one more out there that I can't have, and that part of the "hunt" is what fuels the fire.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
loueedacat1

Post by loueedacat1 »

but wait, is that PRORASO RED!!!!!! :shock:
brothers

Post by brothers »

I just checked, and Paul Kox, proprietor of the Dutch Shaving Shop in Netherlands carries almost all of the Noxzema canned shaving creams shown above, (but the Menthol is sold out right now). He also carries the Proraso Red in the can. I am not sure if it is even possible to ship pressurized cans overseas. Even so, shipping from Netherlands can be expensive.
Gary

haiti222

Post by haiti222 »

tienda.com has reasonable prices for all the LaToja shaving creams in a can.....
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

You all can do as you see fit, but, FWIW, I have never found the pricier canned foam to be any better than the cheap stuff. I paid, I think it was around $15 for a can of SMN foam once and frankly Barbasol is better IMO. I've also tried the Proraso and Clubman as well as a few more. The only canned foam I ever used that I thought WAS a cut above; that was better than Barbasol, was a version that Penhaligon's offered for a little while. It was only available in the Blenheim Bouquet scent an it was darned good for a canned product. I think I may still have a little squireled away somewhere. But other than that, I have never been impressed by the more 'upscale' canned shave products.
Regards,
Gordon
Barbiere di Figaro
Vendor

Post by Barbiere di Figaro »

I just added the pricing of the cans in the shopping section.

Shipping to US has not been an issue before, but don't know if that was luck or "standard procedure".

Bye,

Eric

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... 028#538028
www.barbieredifigaro.nl
Subscribe to our newsletter? http://eepurl.com/bUYYb
Want to become friends with us on Facebook? http://tinyurl.com/7zhehql
brothers

Post by brothers »

Eric, it makes me happy to see that you are carrying these products. Before I ventured to the Dutch Shaving website, I searched your website, but obviously overlooked the web page where you had these canned products listed. When I find the time I'm going to explore the possibility of ordering 2 or 3 of them, and unless shipping costs to my location are prohibitive, you'll probably see an order showing up. Thanks for bringing these to my attention.
Gary