No more canned shaving cream / gels

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
shavedhead

No more canned shaving cream / gels

Post by shavedhead »

I have completely abandoned any canned shaving creams because soap and a brush do the trick.; plus canned shaving gels are getting more expensive and are NOT beter.

:P
Have a wonderful shaving day
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

im so very glad to hear this..

finally someone seeing the light of day..

or should i say using you head!!!
marc
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

For me it's all in the results, whether it be lather made with a brush or sprayed from a can. When shaving I seek a smooth, clean, stubble free, non-irritated result and I will use whatever it takes to get me there. I haven't used a gel for quite some time.

While I love the ritual and history of shaving and grooming it's really the results that are important for me, as always - everyone's mileage will surely vary.

Price is sort of a non-starter for me when I can get a can of Barbasol for $0.99 on a regular basis.
Good shaving,

Gary
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

/\

What he said.
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

I ventured into DE shaving after first experimenting with VDH and then Williams soaps.

The ritual involved with the brush and soap -or cream from a tube- is relaxing; satisfying. There's better protection than from merely using canned stuff. No comparison; working the stuff into the skin with a boar or badger brush affords a soaking-in I never got otherwise.

And it is "greener". Less metal-and-plastic waste and no worries about propellant gases either. Nothing wrong with that! :D
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

I used Trac II cartridges in a very nice Merkur teardrop handle for years. Still have it. My lather of choice then was the cheapest $0.99 stuff I could find. Cartridges "lasted me" three months. :shock: DE razors were intimidating.

Now I happily (pause while I squash a silverfish) use a vintage Gillette DE and load up a brush with quality soap each morning except when time does not permit. In those cases, canned stuff is acceptable.

So, use what works. Personally, I found the gel better than the foam.
Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

I guess I have a simplistic approach to shaving. I just enjoy that part of my morning ritual (or any time of the day actually), and it's all just shaving, whether it's vintage tallow, a tube of proraso, or something from a squirt bottle. The process is, to me at least, invigorating.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444