Exclusive - QED MAN Lime Shave stick review!

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

Joel,

I have always been hesitant about using a shave stick. With you review, did you find that it was faster to shave. My lazy ass is usaully running late in the morning because I choose to sleep in a little longer. Were you able to save time?

I guess if the lather is no worse than shave soap, then it must be pretty good. I will have to look into this. Did you soak your brush in the super hot water. I can imagine that if the brush were not extremely hot, then you might not get a decent lather.

J
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Joel, Sounds like a winner. Unfortunately, I just received a new shave stick from QED a week or so ago. If my old one had held up just a little longer, I might have had the chance to order one of these. Being fond of lime scent, I probably would have. To second your reply post, good shave sticks can produce a very good lather, and they're versatile. I actually use mine mainly for the final touch-up. I just rub the wet stick against the grain of the area I want to go over, and then 'blade buff' against the grain. There is NO whisker left when I get done with this. Personally, I much prefer this approach to the use of the oils or balms that some use for this purpose. Regards, Gordon
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

dang u men!!!!! well, in addition to needing a pouch for my vision, now i need a shave stick, but i may go with lavendar. food scents dont do it for me, and i was not keen on the trumpers sample or the coates tube i had.

sam
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

You'll need a pouch for your shave stick too, Sam. Probably a custom made leather sheath with a gold or silver inset for your engraved initials.

Dave T
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

i didnt see this thing on the QED website. how much is it?
Dave T

Post by Dave T »

I'm sorry, Sam. I was teasing you about the leather pouch for your shave stick. It seems that whatever we get, whether it's a shaving item or a tool or electronic equipment or car or whatever, there are lots of auxiliary or accessory things to go with them.

Dave T
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

dave: hey, no problemo. but my last post was not all that clear. i meant how much is the shave stick. i know the pouch is $10
mike

Post by mike »

:!:
Last edited by mike on Thu May 14, 2009 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackgrass
Mandolin Twanger (sans drool)

Post by blackgrass »

Has anybody tried melting down the shave stick to use in a mug like a hard soap?
guenron
Ich wünsche, daß ich deutsch war

Post by guenron »

Joel,
Argh! :-s I wish I could find all of this stuff at QED. I emailed twice to get some of the QED Rose soap. Why doesn't someone volunteer to make a database-driven web site for Charles? That way all he has to do is update his database and then, VOILA :!:
Regards
Ron
Regards,
Ron

Better Living Thru Lather
JoeDizzy

Post by JoeDizzy »

I have the Lavender stick and use it for my touch up(using Gordon's tip) with success. When rubbed against the grain it really makes the hair stang up.

I agree about the website update. I think this would only help his business and probably save a few emails, although this customer interaction is certainly a strong point for Qedusa. Maybe an inventory based site that updates stock levels automatically. On the other hand these things costs a ton of money. Charles might have his reasons for keeping it the way it is. This is not a knock on Charles or his business, but merely a suggestion. As I have posted before doing business with Charles is a pleasure. He will go out of his way to help gents get what they need or want.
Joey
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

I got a Limes shaving stick a few weeks ago and I've finally used it enough to form some impressions. Unlike Joel, I think the scent is just "ok"--definitely lime, but not the same lime as Castle Forbes. I liken it to grocery store limes versus fresh Key lime. The QED lime is "muddier" (perhaps this is the "tart" note that Joel mentioned) and there's a second note in there I can't quite make out (coconut?). Bottom line, the scent is nice but I'm not wild about it, IMO

Performance on the other hand is outstanding with a DE! A quick "zip-zip" across the face against the grain is all you'll need; assuming you have a decent brush it lathers *very* generously, with a real "slick" consistancy. My shave using an M3 was fine but it really came into its own with my Progress.

As Charles and others have said, the shaving stick is meant as a "fun" kind of thing for a "change of pace." It certainly made my shave go more quickly than normal, with a minimum of counter-filling extras (e.g. mug/bowl). I don't think I'd make it my regular routine though--I enjoy the ritual. 8)

--Mark
Sage

Post by Sage »

Charles sent me one of these as well. I agree with Mantic on the scent. I am not a big Lime guy, so the scent was just okay for me, nothing I get really excited about.

I did find that it lathered up very well and provided a good shave. I just got back from vacation, and I only took the shave stick and a brush. I found the stick to be very convenient for traveling, as you don't need a bowl or mug to go with traditional creams. It is very compact as well.

Overall, I like it, but would prefer a different scent.

Andy
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

An update: I've used the QED Lime stick a few more times and the scent is growing on me. I think Joel was right after all--this is more of a "tart" lime, vs. the "sweet" lime of Castle Forbes.

Performance continues to be exceptional. And when I use it in conjunction with my M3 I can shave in about 2/3 the time it normally takes me, so this has turned into my "shave more quickly without compromising quality" alternative when I'm rushed for time. I also plan to take it with me when I travel.

--Mark
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

This lime soap smells ALOT like Castle Forbes, and provides just as good (if not better) of a shave. I like it a lot.
Sitting in the morning sun
I'll be sitting when the evening comes
Watching the ships roll in
And I watch 'em roll away again
roberev

Post by roberev »

I finally figured out what the QEDman Lime smells like: A green Lifesaver. My Lifesaver-QED comparison smell test this morning confirmed it.

Don't get me wrong, I love green Lifesavers ...and QEDman Lime. The QED soaps have all but eliminated my desire to use any other shaving soap (with the exception of Taylor's Shaving Shop).

I'll leave the lime Lifesaver/QED comparison taste test to someone else.

Rob
Cmk

Post by Cmk »

I shaved with the QED Grapefruit+Peppermint shave stick today, and it was great! Easily my 2nd best shave ever. And the smell!*

*disclaimer: citrus notes are my favourite smells by far
What have I gotten myself into?