Which almond cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Just an update.

I received another crap pot of Taylors cream, the cream is rock hard, i would need a hammer to smash it. The last pot of lemon lime I had was not good, but the almond one was great.

As I cant use the taylors, I just went and got some Proraso locally here and some feathers, will load a feather into my gillette tech and try the proraso in the morning, will let you all know
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, buying pots of English shaving cream sight unseen over the internet has always been a crap shoot. For the most part I avoid it by buying in person in NYC when I visit, buying in person in a shop about 1 1/2 hours away that stocks some of this stuff, buying slightly 'used' from members of SMF, or buying over the phone from trusted vendors who will check the pot for me before they ship and not send anything that's either watery or dehydrated. I would contact your vendor regarding that pot of Almond and ask for an exchange for a pot of proper texture.
Regards,
Gordon
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Shaved today with the Proraso and used the feather blade. Very nice shave the feather was fine in my gillette tech, 2 passes very smooth shave cut through my face like butter.

Much milder in the tech than in the futur I used to have, the feather messed up my face in the futur, but in the tech was a great shave
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

bernards66 wrote:Gary, The old original C&E Almond shave cream had pretty much the same ingrediants list as Trumpers etc. and was plainly a Creighton made cream.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon,

Are you implying that Trumpers Almond could be the closest current cream to what C&E SAO is in the scent and performance areas?

I love the SAO and have tried sample sizes of TOBS and T&H and found the scent to be nothing like the great SAO scent. Still have a couple tubs and a partial tube left but will someday run out and would like a replacement.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

My tubs of SAO or out of their boxes to save space, so I can't list the ingredients, but from what I recall, the cream is no longer a traditional type. Lots of weird ingredients, but the performance and scent are splendid.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bryce,
Well, the original C&E Almond shave cream, that they sold for years, came in the standard Creighton style tan pot and was plainly made by them. As such, the ingrediants list was pretty much like the other top shelf brands that they also make/made; Trumpers, T&H, Coate's, etc. Of course it was not identical to these creams just as they're not identical to each other, but it was along those lines. Personally, I did not think it was quite as good, but then again, it wasn't as expensive either. I'm not sure if there was a different version offered after that. I know that there was in sandalwood scent, along with their more modern fragrances like Sienna, but I'd don't recall if this was true of the almond cream. But the original was not unlike the current Trumpers, just not quite as good, IMO.
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

The demise of C&E SAO was a sad day for many of us indeed. :cry:

I still think that it's the best all-round cream I have used - full-stop. My current supply continues to dwindle much to my dismay and disbelief.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

I have a new pot of the DR Harris Almond I have only looked at, not shaved with yet. It has the non watery, not dehydrated consistency of that pot of T&H Rose I am so fond of. I am pretty encouraged about what is coming out of Creighton's these days but it's always good to inspect on site if one can.

Max
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Max, Yep. The last several pots of Creighton made creams that I've gotten over the last two years ( two older style pots of Taylors, two new style pots from D R Harris, and one from Trumper ) have all been very good. They do seem to begin to dehydrate fairly quickly though, so, be aware.
Regards,
Gordon
bordeaaj

Post by bordeaaj »

If you're still looking for ideas Cella, P160, and RazoRock all have almond scents and people seem to really like them a lot...they get great performance reviews. All are very affordable as well. I've tried the RazoRock and have to agree...smells and performs great! The Trumper's Almond is extremely nice as well!
Bill Smith

Post by Bill Smith »

I'm partial to Valobra Almond soft soap but I rather have a tube of shave cream in my kit than a tub to save space. I really like Trumpers Almond shave cream in a tube, perfect for an after workout shave at the gym.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Teiste wrote:Acca Kappa 1869 alla mandorla (tube).Has lanolin and shea butter and a great almond scent.For me light years away in skin care and scent of the TOBS almond.
Teiste, I'm hoping you'll stumble onto this post, a response to your comment above, relating to Acca Kappa 1869 cream. Do you prefer the tube to the tub? Are they different? I've read that they are. You may have seen where I'm on the prowl for an Almond shaving cream that I can really appreciate, above all others. Do you suggest I get a tube of AC first, or a tub? I'm already signed up to take delivery of a tube of T&H Almond, and want to find one to compare to the T&H.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

brothers wrote:
Teiste wrote:Acca Kappa 1869 alla mandorla (tube).Has lanolin and shea butter and a great almond scent.For me light years away in skin care and scent of the TOBS almond.
Teiste, I'm hoping you'll stumble onto this post, a response to your comment above, relating to Acca Kappa 1869 cream. Do you prefer the tube to the tub? Are they different? I've read that they are. You may have seen where I'm on the prowl for an Almond shaving cream that I can really appreciate, above all others. Do you suggest I get a tube of AC first, or a tub? I'm already signed up to take delivery of a tube of T&H Almond, and want to find one to compare to the T&H.
Hello Gary!
Yes,the Acca Kappa 1869 200ml version tub one has different ingredients than the Acca Kappa 1869 in the 125ml tube.Actually the tub one is the one with the Almond scent and has lanolin and Shea butter on it,while the other has a formulation closer to the German shaving creams like Speick,and has a scent similar to Fahrenheit (Dior).Both are good creams,but the one in the tub with the almond scent provides such a great skin care,while the other its a little bit drying to my skin.Also the 200ml version cost 20 dollars while the 125ml version cost 26 dollars (go figure why).
Hope this helps.
stanmog

Post by stanmog »

Contents, C+E SWO cream, glass jar:

Water, stearic acid, myristic acid, potassium hydroxide,
coconut acid, glycerin, triethanolamine, prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, fragrance, sodium hydoxide, amyl cinnamal, butylphenyl methylpropional, benzyl salicylate, geraniol, cinnamyl alcoho, methylparaben, propylparaben.

This from the box. one of of several purchaced several years ago at TJMaxx.

Regards,
Stan
PT

Post by PT »

Volabra is amazing stuff. Best almond smell.
brothers

Post by brothers »

PT wrote:Volabra is amazing stuff. Best almond smell.
I've been considering the Valobra. I've tried the Menthol version, and just couldn't detect much of a fragrance, and I think I was hoping to get a stronger kick from the menthol.

I think I may be correct in my understanding that Valobra's soft soap is all veggie.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Climb14er

Post by Climb14er »

I recently purchased three pots of Salters creams, Almond, Rose and Sandalwood from Bull Goose (excellent customer service!) and the Almond was the BEST of the three.

The Rose is also very good and the Sandalwood I liked... but one of my close friends liked it better so I gave it to him as a gift.

The Almond... very impressive! :wink:
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, Yes, the Valobra shave soap is veg. oil based as far as I remember. This is interesting in that their bath soaps are still tallow.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Climb14er wrote:I recently purchased three pots of Salters creams, Almond, Rose and Sandalwood from Bull Goose (excellent customer service!) and the Almond was the BEST of the three.

The Rose is also very good and the Sandalwood I liked... but one of my close friends liked it better so I gave it to him as a gift.

The Almond... very impressive! :wink:
I'm ordering one from Phil. Probably something else too, I just haven't decided what. (This replaces an inaccurate post I had made earlier. Please join with me in pretending it never happened.) :oops:
Last edited by brothers on Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Sold out? That's what I get for waiting.
Regards,
Squire