Trumpers Almond soap scent

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
ATLpr8head

Trumpers Almond soap scent

Post by ATLpr8head »

I have had this soap for a while and love it. However I have never been able to decipher the scent? Almost like a sweet cinnamon thing going on. Not the typical marzipan as is associated with so many almond products. My fiance walked in the bathroom and said it smelled nice. BTW she rarely comments on anything that relates the shaving. I said it was almond but not like Cella or 160 or.....she was lost. Anyways what is the scent? Thanks.
Shawn
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Haven't got any here but from memory I think it's got a bit of geraniol, bit of linalool and the other usual barbershop suspects, just for a bit of depth, I suppose. It's excellent stuff and (though I haven't had a tub for a year or so now) seems more or less unchanged over the years. Sort of clean and simultaneously warm.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Shawn, Yes, it's a very nice and very old tiemy sort of scent, a 'gentleman's floral' I would say. I've heard that it's partially an 'almond flower' rendition but I don't know how accurate that is. Definately a kind of 'dry' floral though. It smells very like the old Woodbury bath soap and not that dissimiliar to Cusson's Imperial Leather...at least in my opinion.
Regards,
Gordon
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

Gordon,
I keep smelling the soap and 'gentleman's floral' is perfect. I cant wait to tell her what the scent is (at least best described as). I love the scent but don't know if I would like a matching cologne or not. I will say that I thoroughly enjoy each and every shave with it.
Shawn
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

I'm not in the least fond of that scent. Very similar to C&E's Sandalwood. Quite far from Cusson's I would say. Cusson's is more similar to Trumper's Sandalwood. Confusing.
Regards,
Jani
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Oops. Stupid of me. I was thinking of the almond cream. Don't know the soap at all. Sorry.
Michael

rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Smells like Grandma's pink shell-shaped bathrooms soaps, the ones you don't actually use and sit in a fancy bowl on top of the toilet tank.
Richard
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I've got a cake of this and I like it very much though I haven't touched it in over a year (been too busy with the Taylor's). Whatever the scent is I have smelled it before in my childhood at least if I haven't smelled that scent directly I've smelled something similar.

A lot of the older scents strike me that way. I chalk it up to them being copied closely and many times over in different products. It speaks to the scent's longevity when it gets proliferated like that, IMHO.

Chris
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Michael, Bigad!..."never smelled the soap.."?....how could you have bypassed it for all these years? You must check it out, especially since you've been saying that these days you think the Trumper soaps are better than their creams. It certainly is a very old product and I'd like to hear your take on what the fragrance actually is. I just get 'old time gentlemenly foral' but can't get much further than that. I've always liked it though and for years, it and their Limes soap, were all I used.
Regards,
Gordon
JohnnyO_Jr

Post by JohnnyO_Jr »

I'm not a fan of the scent either because I think it smells a little feminine for my taste.

If you really want to smell a nice manly shave cream, I highly suggest the TwinLuxe Smooth Shave Cream
http://www.twinluxe.com/shop/care/cream/index.php

I've been using this for several months courtesy of my wife & it's a joy shaving with this cream.

- Johnny_O
Last edited by JohnnyO_Jr on Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

I finally got round to trying this soap recently.

Too flowery for me.

Nothing like Cusson's Imperial Leather to my nose, Gordon.

It went in the bin without even being lathered once.
F.W. Fitch

Post by F.W. Fitch »

How dare you Vinny! Go straight away and fish it right back out of there!! This is one of my all time faves and we can't be just 'chucking' them away (because) we're bored by taking a whiff. The color reminds me of Van der Hagan 'select' soap. I think this could very well have been Trumpers first soap. I only ever used the tallow version and had a handful. I like the 'subtle' scent and would use forever if pushed into having to.

Best,
Fitch
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, I held a bowl of Trumpers Almond shave soap in one hand and a cake of Imperial Leather in the other and to me they smelled quite similiar. The old Woodbury bath soap was even closer but that is not made anymore, and hasn't been for years, as far as I know.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

JohnnyO_Jr wrote:I'm not a fan of the scent either because I think it smells a little feminine for my taste.

If you really want to smell a nice manly shave cream, I highly suggest the TwinLuxe Smooth Shave Cream
http://www.twinluxe.com/shop/care/cream/index.php.

I've been using this for several months courtesy of my wife & it's a joy shaving with this cream.

- Johnny_O
JohnnyO, is this a brushless cream? It recommends a "dry brush", and I'm thinking they don't recommend trying to lather it. Anyway, I've used a lot of brushless creams, and wouldn't mind giving this one a whirl sometime either.

Back on track, the Trumper's Almond soap is one that I must have skipped over (along with lime) when I was trying to work my way across all of the 3 Ts before I ended up with Taylor's Lavender and Harris Almond as my twin pots of gold at the end of the rainbow. Maybe I'll have an opportunity to try it out one of these days.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

bernards66 wrote:Michael, Bigad!..."never smelled the soap.."?....how could you have bypassed it for all these years? You must check it out [snip}
Gordon
I shall go out and get a puck this very day. And the Limes, too, if God spare my life as we used to say in the 17th century.
Michael

EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

I pulled this one out of the closet and lathered up this morning. It was a quite pleasant scent and the lather was excellent. However, I was reminded at the end of the shave that this gives me a slight irritation, I think due to drag.

I've noticed that irritation like this comes from having hard water - some soaps just don't do as well to lubricate in harder water, even if one uses a bit more product to overcome. This soap seems to be one of them. I find that interesting because the other Trumper's soaps seem to do better. I was never able to dial it in perfectly and as easily as the other soaps.

I've been traveling for work two days a week and staying in a hotel with soft water. I'm convinced I need a softener and am planning on getting one in the near future. It's not just for shaving etc but for everything all around. I've about had it with hard water and scale etc.

Chris
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

If Churchill, Disraeli, Prince Albert, and John Major got together for bridge, and Margaret Thatcher stopped by to say hello then quickly departed, the game room would smell something like Trumper's Almond soap.
Ron
95%

Post by 95% »

No, it would smell like chicken catch a Tory [joke]
Porter
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

rsp1202 wrote:If Churchill, Disraeli, Prince Albert, and John Major got together for bridge, and Margaret Thatcher stopped by to say hello then quickly departed, the game room would smell something like Trumper's Almond soap.
Good description, Ron! I just used the Trumper Almond earlier this week. I paired it with Knize Sec...a complementary combination. I think Trumper's Almond and Sandalwood are my favorites in the Trumper (soap) range.
Lynn
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Well, I've had those weird anomolies with the Trumper soaps also, even though, rationally, I suspect that they're all the same except for fragrance. And I too have hard water but really can not afford an good water softening system. The really strange part is that I've been using the Trumper soaps for so long that it isn't always the same ones that give me that little bit of trouble like what you mentioned...truth.
Regards,
Gordon