Let us be candid about overrated soaps & creams

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
tester

Let us be candid about overrated soaps & creams

Post by tester »

I've purchased so much stuff over the years that I thought was going to be good, I wished it was better after I tried it, but in the end it just wasn't good enough to say it worked for me.

So here it goes - no flames please.

Proraso Green
Nancy Boy Cream
Taylor Avocado
JM Frasers
Cremo Cream
Williams
Kiss My face

I've been completely underwhelmed by the above. How about what has underwhelmed you?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I found one or two that shall remain nameless to be less than ideal. :(

On a positive note, I'd gladly take every one of those you've listed above and use them regularly with pleasure. I actually have done just that, come to think of it. YMMV, as they say!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Oh, I dunno. I'll only say that I have tried a lot of stuff over the years and the only shaving products I spend money on today are some of the classic English shave creams and soaps....I don't buy or use anything else.
Regards,
Gordon
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I just might agree with you on Kiss My Face. They repackaged it, and I picked up a tube of Patchouli. I've been shaving with it for about a week and just can't seem to get the same quality lather that I did back when. Seems a big gummy.

Anybody else have any experience with the repackaged KMF? Maybe it's just me.

Dave
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Ditto on current production Williams, cannot address the vintage stuff.

I was vastly underwhelmed by the old stock Ach Brito Lavanda shave cream that was "discovered" in one of Tony Soprano's Jersey warehouses last year.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
druphus

Re: Let us be candid about overrated soaps & creams

Post by druphus »

tester wrote: Proraso Green
Nancy Boy Cream
Taylor Avocado
JM Frasers
Cremo Cream
Williams
Kiss My face

I've been completely underwhelmed by the above. How about what has underwhelmed you?
I'm with you on everything but the Proraso and the TOS Avocado, which I think are worth what you pay. Now Tabac and Pre de Provence Creams, what's the point!
Regards,
Andy
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I'll disagree on Proraso green. I really enjoy that cream, scent, performance, I love it all.

Dave
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Ok, here's a risky one - the scents of Trumper's soaps are fantastic, but the lather? Average. I traded my Almond soap away, and would release the rest of them if other manufacturers offered such good violet, limes, and rose scents.

Every time I use a Trumper's soap, I think, "This stuff is all right, I should use these more often." Then the very next morning, I'm back to DR Harris.

--Glenn
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i think any soap more expensive than tabac is over priced
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
95%

Post by 95% »

Glenn - I'm of a like mind with you about Trumper's soaps. Their fragrances are complex and very nice, but the lather is only so-so. Administrator Chris has called it "crisp," a description that works for me. On a good day I might produce a richer lather, but I can never get it to equal the lather from a Trumper cream. I'm not sure, however, that it makes much difference in the quality of the shave.
Porter
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i get equal quality lather from trumpers creams and soaps

and i find trumpers products to be one of the best i have ever used..

i have tried a good amount of soap and cream products, and when i find one that works great for me i stick with it,,

i dont say that the products that didnt work for me are sub-par.. because they do satify other users..

i have two brands i love and thats it...

marc
95%

Post by 95% »

Marc, could you share your secret for making cream-quality lather from a puck of Trumper soap?
Porter
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

I can get lather from almost anything now. I have to say that Derby SC wasnt that good though. I had one really bad puck of Trumpers but it must've been a a bad batch. I get suprisingly good shaves with williams but it must be because of my soft water. I wouldnt use it daily but if I was stuck with it I would be OK.

BTW, Fraser and Nancy Boy are two of my top favorites. Its almost impossible to get a good shave with either. As always YMMV.
Shawn
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

no comments from me other than to say than when it comes to trumpers there is a definite hierarchy......rose, sandalwood, limes, violet (ive never used coconut(?) so i dont know where it fits)

Also, on a positive note, plisson soap has such an amazing scent and not half bad lather that Im always surprised more of you AD types dont have a puck in your extensive rotations hahahaaha

personally I like all soaps, but trumpers rose is for me by far the bestest of them all or put another way, soaps are like women........all amazing, some a little more amazing than others

:lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Speick in general left me underwhelmed.
Eric
Vulfix Old Original

Post by Vulfix Old Original »

I know it's been mentioned in the past that 'our' creams, dependant on fragrance, often carry somewhat of a synthetic odour, but how do folks view the actual performance of the product?

There are evidently issues with packaging which are being addressed in the next few weeks to coincide with the launch of our newly formulated Simpson 1919 range of creams & supplies.

Feedback, good or downright bad always welcomed ...
Follow us on Twitter @AESimpson1919
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I would have to agree on the Fraser's - don't see the attraction to this one. Williams is pretty average as well, but I didn't have any great expectations from it.

Also had a lot of "meh" moments with Musgo Real...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
function

Post by function »

I have gotten more than adequate performance from Proraso in the tube, but my experience is also that you get what you pay for. The TOBS creams, at 3x the cost (I buy Proraso on sale) are a significantly better performer.

I like the menthol though, especially on the humid mornings here in Houston.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
changabang

Post by changabang »

Just to prove it's thoroughly a YMMV world, Musgo is one of the creams I can always count on to render a rich, protective lather. Same with Tabac, with its fragrance an added plus. The British products for me are mostly "meh". This isn't to say I'm abandoning my plans to try the Kent version of MWF.
James Nicks
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

Vulfix Old Original wrote:I know it's been mentioned in the past that 'our' creams, dependant on fragrance, often carry somewhat of a synthetic odour, but how do folks view the actual performance of the product?

There are evidently issues with packaging which are being addressed in the next few weeks to coincide with the launch of our newly formulated Simpson 1919 range of creams & supplies.

Feedback, good or downright bad always welcomed ...
Hello there sir.What kind of formulation is that (I mean,the Simpsons 1919 creams)?
Thanks.
Last edited by Teiste on Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.