Tabac - why did I wait so long?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
scoop

Tabac - why did I wait so long?

Post by scoop »

A recent move to the US has prompted me to look beyond 'home grown' products (especially as I can no longer have a wander around Jermyn Street to pick up essentials).
Given it's popularity, I thought it was about time I tried Tabac. Given that the soaps in my usual rotation (Trumper's and MWF) take a little more effort than most for lather production, I was not prepared for how easy it was with the Tabac. Copius amounts of comfortable, cushioning lather - and a fragrance that wasn't as off putting to my nose as to some on here. Perhaps I should have tried a puck when I first started with this 'hobby'!!
I can see why the good doctor seems to have a stockpile...
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

On cold winter months and spring too and even in summer, Tabac is certainly one of my fave soaps. Same time I hate all other Tabac products like AS.
It washes clean away and though I really like the scent of the soap the other Tabac products get foul in scent on my skin.

My main AS is Musgo Real in cold times and I did not like it too much on last summer I must say it is my fave scent now.
Last edited by JarmoP on Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jarmo
SRD

Post by SRD »

This performed well for me but I did not enjoy using it.
Dave
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Ahhhhhhhhh. Tabac.

First, let me say that I've never understood any of the folks who don't enjoy its scent. For me, scent is about .0001% of the total shave experience, so I mostly just don't care. Nevertheless, I more or less LIKE the scent, very solid and masculine I think.

Which leads us to . . . everything else. Which is to say, lather quality, cushion, comfort, slickness, moisturizing, rinsability, and skin-friendliness. In all of which, I'd give it A++++, 100%.

In Greek philosophy, each item of matter in the material world is deemed to be a reflection of an ideal "Form." These Forms are thought of as the "essence" of various objects. Philosophers held that the world of Forms is transcendent to our own world (the world of substances) and also is the essential basis of reality. Being on a higher plane than matter, Forms are the most pure of all things.

Allow me to submit that Tabac shaving soap might just possibly be (in the Greek philosopher sense), the ideal "Form" as regards shaving soap! I couldn't improve on it, and I find all the grousing about its scent to be quite irrelevant and beside the point. Tabac is as good as it gets. Let's hope to God it never gets re-formulated!
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

An excellent performing soap, reasonably priced and a go-to item.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Tabac: Soap of the Gods.

Chris
Ambrosial shaver
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

it's the best. i love using my big omega boar with it
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

One of my favorite soaps....a pure pleasure to use....especially with the trusty Semogue 1305. :D :D

Ed
stagger

Post by stagger »

LookingGlass wrote:One of my favorite soaps....a pure pleasure to use....especially with the trusty Semogue 1305. :D :D

Ed
Ed nailed it.
Regards,
Mark -
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Which leads us to . . . everything else
I disagree with you. besides all the lathering qualities of tabac, what it does is it envelops the senses so that when you do use it you are in sensory overload making the experience that much richer.

1. Sight packed in inviting looking jar,,,,simple, elegant, majestically minimalistic
2. Sound The raising of the lid, brush swirling on soap, clinking sound when its replaced on the counter top
3. Smell. the wonderful scent
4. Touch the smooth cool solid surface of jar
5. taste.....no comment :lol:

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The jar is good for holding paper clips, I'll give you that.
Regards,
Squire
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Simply a superb shave soap.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Gweezemeister

Post by Gweezemeister »

ahhhh....the Greek philosopher - most likely western society's first known deadbeats. I can see Aristotle's mother saying: "Aristo....get a f* job" to which he'd answer: "no...mah...I'm thinking"

Irrespective, I go beyond merely agreeing with the above posts...I AGREEK!!! Tabac is fine soap and the smell is great.
Andy
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

It is fabulous and German.

Take an Omega Lucretia Borgia put on some Birkenstocks and lather away - what could be finer?

If you really want the entire experience, why not a Tabac screensaver or wallpaper ?? http://www.tabac-original.de/english/screensaver.htm
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
drumana

Post by drumana »

Tabac and I had a wonderful affair. I went through two pucks of it before I got annoyed with the scent. It's been years, and though I look fondly on those times I don't regret breaking off the relationship.
-Andrew-
Gweezemeister

Post by Gweezemeister »

Andrew - who's the lucky puck nowadays?!

Andy
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Tabac, Tabac, Tabac--I love that soap--I owe myself more shaves with it.
JEFF
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I'm with Squire, definately not for me. I found the Tabac shave soap to lather easily and well but I could not abide the scent. It also irritated my skin, which might have been caused by the heavy scenting, I don't know. It's one of those products that I can appreciate why some shavers are fond of it, but I am not one of them.
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I too have kept away from Tabac simply because I find the scent to be farr too harsh on my sinuses. Simple as that.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
drumana

Post by drumana »

Gweezemeister wrote:Andrew - who's the lucky puck nowadays?!

Andy
Mostly Queen Charlotte Soaps - the sandalwood in particular. Hard to beat, IMO.
-Andrew-