Penhaligon's English Fern

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
BullGoose
Vendor

Penhaligon's English Fern

Post by BullGoose »

It is a sad day as I have come to the realization that something in Penhaligon's English Fern shave soap does not agree with my face. :x This soap creates some of the richest creamiest lather I have experienced but unfortunately, it leaves my face tingling. Am I alone or do others have issue with this sacred soap? And yes...it is the old tallow formula.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

too bad phil. send it to me and i'll trade you for an arko stick.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

gil3591 wrote:too bad phil. send it to me and i'll trade you for an arko stick.
Arko is ok on my face but it assaults my sinuses. At least it keeps the mosquitoes away. 8)
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Phil, I didn't have any problem with the soap, have you tried the cream?
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Phil, No. I have had problems of that sort with some soaps ( and even a few creams ) but Penhaligon's English Fern is, thankfully, not one of them.
Regards,
Gordon
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Squire wrote:Phil, I didn't have any problem with the soap, have you tried the cream?
No...I have used Penhaligons cream but have never tried the EF cream.

- Phil
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Did you like the one(s) you used?
Regards,
Squire
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Squire wrote:Did you like the one(s) you used?
I received a small sample of a discontinued Penhaligons cream and cannot remember for the life of me which scent. But yes...I liked the cream a lot!

- Phil
lawcash1

Post by lawcash1 »

Phil,
I am three shaves into my first puck of tallow first Pen's EF and so far it hasn't been the best for me either, but I don't think it is the soap that is giving me problems so much as the learning curve. I just don't get the level of protection that I expect from the lather. I am a one razor - Edwin Jagger, one blade - Gillette "Swede" shaver. Since you are noticing some tingling, your experience is a bit different from mine. I was really looking forward to breaking the seal on this (first of three bowls) legendary soap.
I recently finished a tub of Castle Forbes Lavender that lasted me two years. I remember almost giving that away after my first few shaves, but I made some adjustments in how I built the lather; which brush I used; and I switched to face lathering exclusively with it. In the end the CF was the very best cream I had ever used, surpassing even Nancy Boy, which for me is very high praise indeed. I am going to apply the same thinking to the English Fern for a few more shaves to see if I can find the right method to building and applying the lather.