Musgo Real Glyce Lime

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
ScottB

Musgo Real Glyce Lime

Post by ScottB »

Phil's use of this stuff in his SOTD (and others) finally broke me down and I've ordered some. All the reviews I've read suggest that this pre-shave face soap actually makes a noticeable difference in shave results.

I'm a bit of a lime freak so another lime scent in my day doesn't break my heart either.

What is the lowdown on this stuff (notice that I ask after I've already ordered it)? :)

Essential preparation or distracting hype? Its got alcohol in it so it has to be good, right?

Scott
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Other than the lime scent... it did diddly-squat for my shave... the proverbial YMMV...
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
paddy

Post by paddy »

it didn't improve the shave as such, but it cleaned my face nicely and i usually wash my face before shaving, so in that sense it did the job.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

I have ready these things about pre shave stuff improving or not improving for others..funny thing is...some of the barbers I talked to said..nothing beats a splash of cold or warm water..FYI..but if it works..enjoy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Washing one's face with soap prior to shaving is essentially what we who shave after a shower are doing anyway. That does improve my shave but the brand of soap doesn't matter.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

For myself, using it as a pre-shave ritual did absolutely nothing to improve my shave, but the soap did dry out and irritate my skin. It's not a trip for me. Frankly, I've never tried any 'pre-shave' product that did a bloody thing positive. I quit messing with the whole genre years ago. Simply thoroughly wetting my beard with plenty of warm/hot water and lathering up is the way to go for me.
Regards,
Gordon
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

Washing one's face with soap prior to shaving is essentially what we who shave after a shower are doing anyway. That does improve my shave but the brand of soap doesn't matter.
I wash my face with a bath soap too before the shave while having a shower. It is a thing I picked up from Mantic's videos and have been used since. I doubt if any preshave special stuff will do any difference.

Musgo AS splash is though of a very special quality. Just diluted it needs with a few drops of water on hand before applying, otherwise too sticky.
Jarmo
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

bernards66 wrote:For myself, using it as a pre-shave ritual did absolutely nothing to improve my shave, but the soap did dry out and irritate my skin. It's not a trip for me. Frankly, I've never tried any 'pre-shave' product that did a bloody thing positive. I quit messing with the whole genre years ago. Simply thoroughly wetting my beard with plenty of warm/hot water and lathering up is the way to go for me.
Regards,
Gordon
+1

This is more or less my experience as well. For years I washed my face (as well as experimented with other preps here and there) prior to shaving and it did help in certain circumstances but for the every day I have found that simply using a high quality toiletry on a wet face is all I need - no preshave, no washing, no scrubbing etc etc. The shave is always excellent.

I have reflected a bit on this recently and I think that for me the usefulness of washing my face prior to shaving was most evident in the days when I first started as a younger man and I shaved prior to my shower AND I used a non-lathering medium in the form of Noxzema skin cream. There was no cleansing going on in that circumstance and therefore no softening of the whiskers. As the decades rolled along and I started to use lathering products and moved my shave until after my shower I just sort of kept the habit.

Using a hard milled shaving soap and perfecting my use of it has really went a long way to negate any benefit from washing prior to the shave and thus has made dropping that habit a lot easier in the recent years. And so I've arrived at this point where I do nothing except lather my wet face after my shower or if I don't shower I just splash some water on my face and go. The results are identical to before dropping the habit but my skin likes this a lot more.

So to me, the Musgo preshave soap is, as well as any preshave regimen, not necessary nor beneficial.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

After dropping the Glyce Lime soap and Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel from my shaving routine, I noticed a distinct lessening of post shave breakouts (aka "whiteheads"), as always, YMMV.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yeah Tony, it's easy to over think such a simple process as shaving.
Regards,
Squire
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

I received this soap today and tried it.

The label indicates that it is made by Claus Porto. Basically this is just a Claus Porto lime oil face soap. I would describe the scent as honey/lime and I find it to be a pleasant mild scent.

My shave routine includes a face wash since I tend to shower in the evening and shave in the morning. My face needs a wash in the morning anyway and I've always thought I got a better shave after I've washed my face.

I tried it today and didn't notice any particular improvement but then I already wash my face before shaving so this doesn't represent a real change in my routine. I'll use it as a face soap. Nothing magical. Just a nice lime scent in a non-drying face soap.

Scott