castle forbes cedar/sandalwood scent

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!

castle forbes scent?cedar/sandalwood

thumbs up
40%
thumbs down
60%

Total votes: 25

gil3591

castle forbes cedar/sandalwood scent

Post by gil3591 »

i'm curious about the scent of castle forbes cedar/sandalwood. i was going to get tobs sandalwood then thought i'd run a poll first
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

I am looking forward to the result of this. I too have wanted to try it, though the price has been a deterrant.
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
gaj90027

Post by gaj90027 »

Thumbs down on the Castle Forbes scent to my nose. I love cedar and I love sandalwood but I can't even begin to imagine how Castle Forbes mixed them both together and came up with something so foul smelling.

TOBS Sandalwood Shaving Cream on the other hand smells divine. It smells more soapy than woodsy but the scent is intoxicating to my nose.
Garry's Sample Shop - http://sampleshop.blogspot.com
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

I will be able to vote if someone sends me a tub for long term testing. :lol:
Last edited by a-cut-above on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
brothers

Post by brothers »

10,001 Thumbs UP!!! 8)
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drumana

Post by drumana »

I'm a lover of earthy and woodsy scents but I find the CF cedar/sandalwood scent to be challenging.
-Andrew-
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gil, the truth lies somewhere out there in space. You'll either like it or not like it. The good thing, as you know from brushes, is that if you decide it's not your cup of tea, there are hundreds of guys out there that'll take it off your hands. It's a really good performer, and lasts forever.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

The creme smelled like...peanut butter. I did not care for it and eventually I discarded it because it had become pretty old..

The balm I like. I mean, it isn't Acca Kappa Cedro but it isn't bad in the winter. The sandalwood is undetectable but the cedar scent is nice.

Some low-end sandalwood EOs smell powerfully of cedar to begin with. I imagine that is what has happened with this CF product.

Scott
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i recall that cf got mixed reviews on this scent. the only cedar sandalwood mix i've tried is ogallala bay rum a/s and i liked that a lot
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Gil, there's a world of difference between the Ogallala scent and the CF.
If you like the smell of "earth", think moist dirt of a forest floor and you have CF
cedar/sandalwood. I might have a small sample pot rattling around that's yours for the asking.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gil, My experiance suggests that by the time a member gets to the point of posting a poll about a product he's already 9/10ths made up his mind to buy it.....sooo...might as well get on with it ( chuckle ). Just for the record I voted negative on the scent of this one.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Come on guiys! :D Gil, this is going way too off track. All of these nay sayers are casting a negative light on something beautiful. :lol:

You don't need a poll, and you've been around long enough to know YMMV.

Here's what you need to do. Order a sample of CF C/S from Garry right here on SMF. You'll have it at your mailbox in a couple of days, and you can experience it first hand. Then if it's thumbs up or down, you'll know why! Perfect resolution. Get yourself a sample and you can tell us what you think! How about that?

PS, if I had any left, I'd have sent you some to try a long time ago.
Gary

woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Well, I kind of like the stuff. I don't use it often but, when I do, I enjoy it. It smells kind of funky out of the jar, but I find that it opens up nicely when you hit it with the brush and make lather with it. It's a dry cedarwood/sandalwood; not a "sweet" or overly perfumed sandalwood like some others. YMMV, of course....
Lynn
ghart

Post by ghart »

Maybe the bottom line is that CF sandalwood is, like the other CF scents, based on essential oils (EO) only. Lynn's comment on other manufacturers' sandalwood creams being "overly perfumed" is apt. For me CF sandalwood was not sufficiently inspiring, though the cream base was excellent.

I am a great fan of CF lime (particularly) and lavender shaving cream, which I understand are also EO based, ie they have no artificial flavours. I would really like this rare Scottish perfumery to do other shaving creams based on EO perfumes only, such as rose, almond…

One can only hope!

George
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

if it smells like earthy mushrooms, i'm not interested
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I gave a tub away, and have one more sitting here embarrassing me. Smells of peanut butter. Perhaps I should set an essay question to determine who shall inherit it?

Chris
Probably an essay that demonstrates your understanding of evolution.... :twisted:
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

drmoss_ca wrote:. . .
Probably an essay that demonstrates your understanding of evolution.... :twisted:
If man evolved from the apes, why are there still apes?
(Keep the tub.)
Ron
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I shall, if that is your entry!

Chris :lol:
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

Will this buttress my case?

I'm not a sandalwood -- or peanut butter -- guy, however, if you have any Fraser's original you're not using . . .
Ron
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Ron, PM sent.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits