Which cream?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
blakeas

Which cream?

Post by blakeas »

I have just recently started with cream - I got a canof the bluebeard's cream from england and have been happy with it. I do a wet shave in the shower every morning with a Gillette fusion proglide. My bluebeard is almost out so I am looking for the next thing. The reason I do a wet shave because my face is sooooo sensitive. If i wait until after the shower - forget it!! razor burn all over the place. So my cream has to have great/unbeleivable lubrication. I dont care about the fragrance, others etc - Just need great lubrication. suggestions?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Blake there are so many I'm hard pressed to even start. Perhaps the area where you live would help me narrow it down and some idea of how much you are willing to pay.

I am more concerned about your razor burn because that shouldn't be happening. I don't believe it's due to sensitive skin but to your razor and how you use it. A lot of our members have discovered that multiple blade razors simply do not work for them irrespective of skin type. There's that and shaving too fast with too much pressure can bother even the most experienced shaver. Using a different razor may answer some questions for you.
Regards,
Squire
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Agreed. A gentle DE or an injector would almost be certain to allow more latitude as to soap or cream that you can use.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
blakeas

Post by blakeas »

I live in atlanta but can order from amazon.com - they seem to have everything.

I used to use the Gillette double edge disposable razor (the green and blue one) for years before I switched to the proglide - the proglide has been night and day from the double edge. I really love it.

Now I just need a new cream that give max lubrication.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Perhaps some of our Georgia members can post about local B&M stores you can visit. As for creams I suggest you study up on them by visiting vendors web sites (click Places to Shop on our Home Page) and reading descriptions of the different shaving creams. Once you decide on what you might like to try post about them here and we can provide some first hand impressions of your choices.

Blake I have no doubt the fusion gives you a close shave, that's what it's designed for, but apparently it's also scraping your skin which is why you are getting razor burn. With the right equipment properly used you should be able to shave anytime of the day or night without discomfort.
Last edited by Squire on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Squire
TommyDawg

Post by TommyDawg »

The wisdom of the Squire. Right as rain...
Tom
95%

Post by 95% »

I don't necessarily blame the Fusion. The OP had a worse experience with a DE. But has he replaced the cartridge recently? I actually know men who cannot answer the question "How often do you change your cartridge?"

He seems to think his shave cream is the crux of the matter, and he could be right for all I know. He might try, temporarily at least, Proraso or an over-the-counter drugstore cream or gel. I'd suggest he change his routine altogether and stop shaving in the shower. He may be using water that is too hot, and possibly he is scrubbing his face with bath soap too vigorously before the shave. Easy does it all the way.
Porter
Greenhouse

Post by Greenhouse »

Blake - You might want to make a trip to Jonpaul's at the corner of 141 and State Bridge Road in Duluth. They have a pretty good selection of Truefitt & Hill products. The last time I was there, they were a little short on soaps, but had a pretty good selection of creams. I think the Truefitt & Hill creams are outstanding -- some of the best available (rose and Trafalgar are my favorites).

Also in Atlanta, you can find shaving supplies at the Art of Shaving store at Lenox Square. I'm not a huge fan of their creams, but their soaps are quite good (though a little pricey).

I agree with Squire about checking out the vendors' web sites, which are listed on the home page of this forum. You will find many others as well if you do a Google search. Most shaving vendors sell a good variety of creams, and most are happy to advise you if you e-mail or call.

Finally, I agree that multi-blade "systems" are not all that friendly to the skin. Although there is definitely a learning curve, I find that once you master the DE, you will never want to return to a cartridge system. I have found the new Edwin Jagger razors are pretty mild shavers, yet give outstanding results.

- Greenhouse.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Blake. If you have a Bath and Body Works within reasonable driving distance, they sell a very popular brand called C.O. Bigelow shaving cream at a very reasonable price for a big tube that lasts a long time. It does provide a good lubrication and protection. What I like about being able to buy it in my home town is you don't have to pay shipping and wait for it to show up. It's made by Proraso in Italy. The Proraso brand of it is sold on the internet, Amazon, and almost all of the other internet vendors.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Blake before we go further with recommendations tell us whether or not you like menthol in your shaving products.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Well, it's too late now, the one with menthol has already been recommended! :lol: If you hate menthol, don't get COBiglow!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

And it's a good recommendation Gary. Poroaso is one of the best creams I've used but it occurred to me Blake might get more than one recommendation for a cream containing menthol.
Regards,
Squire
King-D

Post by King-D »

Squire had it right. It's the razor that's the problem, or the technique. When I used the Fusion, I would push hard against my face. Yeah, it was a close shave alright. But my face was so raw that I couldn't shave again for 2 days.

Also, Blake, the "twin blade" disposables are not the same as a "double edge" blade.
David

Shave in the shower!
Drubbing
Location: Western Australia-4 hrs flight from anywhere else...

Post by Drubbing »

blakeas wrote: I used to use the Gillette double edge disposable razor (the green and blue one) for years before I switched to the proglide - the proglide has been night and day from the double edge. I really love it.
In the land of the Yugo, the Skoda is king.

I pulled out my Fusion the other day. Compared to a DE blade it like pulling a pallet covered in chewing gum across my face. I have no issues, but I can see how others will.

Shaves close, yes. But it's got so much drag it could clock serious time at a speedway.

Honestly, if shaving in the shower is what provides you the sort of heat and lube you need to shave comfortably, it's not your face, it's what you're using.
Araner

Post by Araner »

Drubbing wrote:
blakeas wrote: I used to use the Gillette double edge disposable razor (the green and blue one) for years before I switched to the proglide - the proglide has been night and day from the double edge. I really love it.
In the land of the Yugo, the Skoda is king.

I pulled out my Fusion the other day. Compared to a DE blade it like pulling a pallet covered in chewing gum across my face. I have no issues, but I can see how others will.

Shaves close, yes. But it's got so much drag it could clock serious time at a speedway.

Honestly, if shaving in the shower is what provides you the sort of heat and lube you need to shave comfortably, it's not your face, it's what you're using.
Getting real close to the truth.

Cartridge razors are the paint scrapers of the face. Say goodbye to your skin if this is your choice.

Mike
blakeas

Post by blakeas »

can you suggest a good DE razor if the fusion is a bunch of crap?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I wouldn't call the fusion crap Blake, just unsuitable for some shavers. As I've said before it's an innovative solution to a non-existent problem.

Blake, Double Edge razors come in a lot of types and sizes, short or long thick or slim handles, fat or thin fixed or adjustable heads, mild or more aggressive shaving tools (even within the same brand or model) and vary widely in cost.

Fortunately there are a lot of vintage razors out there that are as sound as when they were made and still shave very well. These can be found locally at stores that sell old stuff, flea markets, estate sales, etc. Again if you do some internet searching and post here about what appears to suit your needs the members will give you some first hand feed back.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Blake, Just a point of clarification; we are not talking about double BLADED razors here ( which is apparently what you referred to in your post above ), but rather, old fashioned double EDGED razors. These are heavier metal razors like the ones used by most men in, say, the 1950s. Such razors are still being made by a few firms, noteably Merkur and Muehle-Pinsel, both in Germany ( Edwin-Jagger in England also makes very nice ones that use the Muehle-Pinsel made heads ). Here at SMF many of us also use older vintage Gillette models, mostly from the period of the 1930s through the 1970s. Such razors take a little more skill to use optimally then do mulit-blade cartridges or disposibles but once one has learned, they shave at least as well, and with far less likelihood of skin irritation. Vintage Schick Injectors from the '50s - '90s are also easier on the skin and require less of a learning curve. If you can't shave, except in the shower, without major irritation then it's time to take a good look at both the products you're using and also perhaps your technique. You would not believe how many men have come on to this forum insisting that they had super sensitive skin, only to find out that they didn't...the problem was their equipment and/or technique all along. Best of luck with finding a better way to go.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Another suggestion, Blake, is to watch Mantic's series of videos on YouTube, etc. In your original post you didn't mention having watched any videos, but that can be a source of a tremendous amount of information for someone just entering into the double-edge razors.
Gary

Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

brothers wrote:Another suggestion, Blake, is to watch Mantic's series of videos on YouTube, etc. In your original post you didn't mention having watched any videos, but that can be a source of a tremendous amount of information for someone just entering into the double-edge razors.
+1 :D

Mantic shows us all kinds of stuff that works! And when I found after a few months my results were going downhill, I did a "refresher course" on his You Tube channel. =D>

The man's got something for everyone and has a sense of humor as he does his thing. I like him! 8)
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS