Arko Shave Stick

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
desmoface

Arko Shave Stick

Post by desmoface »

I received a stick of this with my Derby blade order, and I have to say, it's not bad - Compared to 'MY' gold standard, Tabac.

Steve
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Arko is what common shave soaps of generations ago used to be, simple, effective and cheap.
Regards,
Squire
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Another fan here.

Performance, price and scent are excellent.

I like the happy chap on the wrapper too.

That's me, that is.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I agree with Steve, it's "not bad". Mine was about to be relegated to the shower until I decided to create a hybrid by blending equal amounts of Williams and Arko together, into a single stick. Their fragrances are very similar to my nose, and they each perform OK, so the final product is OK and neither one has to end up in the shower.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Mike R

Post by Mike R »

I find it to be a solid performer. Like Tabac, there's a definite division on the scent . . . luckily for me I like it.

The packaging appeals to my cheesy side, too.

Mike
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

arko is great and very good value. you can press it into shape that makes a wonderful hand soap
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

I really like ARKO...including the clean smell.
I get best results with a rough beard growth and rubbing the soap onto my face while the whiskers hold it for lathering. I grated some into a bowl and it didn't work as well. Don't know why.

Regards,
Roger
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I mash it into a cup, bowl or plastic container and lather directly on top of the soap.
Regards,
Squire
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

Squire wrote:I mash it into a cup, bowl or plastic container and lather directly on top of the soap.
The barbers who use it lather on it like a puck...but without mashing it. Bit messy. ps excellent cheap/European/tallow/stick. Arko, Palmolive, Speik, Wilkinson Sowrd. They're the best soaps around imo.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Palmolive is another good one, wish we had it widely available locally.
Regards,
Squire
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Palmoilve and Arco are soaps that perform well above their purchase price.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I have no problem with the scent of either Williams or Arko. Arko is the better soap of the 2 however (IMO). Bought in bulk from Amazon, it's in the same price range as Williams, maybe even less expensive. It's not the highest quality soap, but it's really good for the price.

Arko is a keeper as far as I'm concerned.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Arko would be acceptable if I was posted on a lonely island or outpost and was told I had nothing other than Arko to use. I could easily adapt to that necessity, if there were no alternatives.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Palmolive is another good one, wish we had it widely available locally.
+2 - as I have in the past, I applaud the performance of this fabulous budget soap stick -- it travels with me a lot when I am flying for business. It's reliable -- great lather all the time, every time. And oh-so cheap too!
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Bastardos

Post by Bastardos »

I'm half way through a stick of arko gifted to me from a fellow De shaver. Like the OP I consider Tabac 'Gold'.

I hate the scent of arko but it's an above average performer all things considered. For similar pennies a Palmolive stick is better IMO with a better scent.

Moving on I'm about to start on a DRHarris Arlington puck tomorrow, life is too short to worry about the scents & cents of budget soaps.
I was indecisive... however now I am not so sure.
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

I keep telling myself I have to put the stick into a push up shave stick container. Arko is a great value and lather. Just hate shave sticks that have no way to hold them other than to unwrap them.
river1

Post by river1 »

Squire wrote:I mash it into a cup, bowl or plastic container and lather directly on top of the soap.
Yes, I do the same thing and also throw a tube in my kit whenever I travel
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I also do this and find the Arko an amazing soap. I don't know what all the fuss is about the scent though. Okay, it doesn't smell like 'fancy' :wink: expensive soaps but the scent is pleasant and clean smelling. The lather is what really makes this soap shine.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

ShadowsDad wrote:I have no problem with the scent of either Williams or Arko. Arko is the better soap of the 2 however (IMO). Bought in bulk from Amazon, it's in the same price range as Williams, maybe even less expensive. It's not the highest quality soap, but it's really good for the price.

Arko is a keeper as far as I'm concerned.
I have no problem with with the scent of Arko or Williams either. Making something that looks like lather from Williams is no problem for me, but shaving with it is a problem.

Arko is the best soap I've tried by itself so far. Williams laced with KMF unscented and whipped up in a bowl is one of the best lathers I've tried, period.
melyus
Vendor

Post by melyus »

Arko ,Arko, Arko little traditional Turkish shave stick
cheap and effective soap..