Hooked on Cyril R. Slater cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Araner

Hooked on Cyril R. Slater cream

Post by Araner »

A few months ago I received a free sample of Cyril R. Slater’s Indian Sandalwood shave cream when I purchased a shaving brush. I tried it and thought it was very good. However, I hesitated to buy any of Slater’s creams because it seemed that the general consensus at SMF was that Slater’s was a lightweight player and not in the same league as the 3Ts, and so on and so forth. Well, despite that I recently ordered and received a tub of the Indian Sandalwood and the Essential Lime cream. I tried the Lime last night and it was no lightweight in my book; great lather, nice scent and an excellent shave. So there it is, I’m out of the closet, I’m a Cyril R. Slater fan and proud of it!

Reasonably priced too! (5.8 oz tub for $15.00)

Mike
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

Another Salter fan here.

I cracked out the Fresh Mint today. I still have an old white jug of the stuff, which doesn't seem to want to run out. Awesome lather with no effort, perfect cooling effect and fresh scent.

The Wild Rose is also quite good. I found the Indian Sandalwood to be a little foody on the scent side, but still pleasant and a great performer.
AFG

Post by AFG »

Salter's Sublime Citrus has the best scent of any shaving product I have tried. I just reordered another tub along with the Wild Rose. I have been using Salters for several years and even though it seems to have gone through several reformulations it remains a very good cream for me.
Al
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I like Salters Mike, particularly the lime and sandalwood.
Regards,
Squire
PT

Post by PT »

interesting... the mint and the citrus sound very tempting.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

It's a decent shave cream but, IMO, it really isn't in the same league as the 'three Ts' ( unless it's different than it was a few years ago ). Salter's strong suit is some of their scents, but the cream itself seemed too light weight, like there was more air in it, or something. And the lather I made from it was likewise. Salter's can sometimes be a good choice for the soap sensitive however because while it lathers pretty much like other traditional creams it is partially detergent based and this can be a plus for those few gents who are allergic to actual soap. Anyway, it's a good enough product but in that price range I prefer Taylors.
Regards,
Gordon
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

bernards66 wrote:It's a decent shave cream but, IMO, it really isn't in the same league as the 'three Ts' ( unless it's different than it was a few years ago ). Salter's strong suit is some of their scents, but the cream itself seemed too light weight, like there was more air in it, or something. And the lather I made from it was likewise. Salter's can sometimes be a good choice for the soap sensitive however because while it lathers pretty much like other traditional creams it is partially detergent based and this can be a plus for those few gents who are allergic to actual soap. Anyway, it's a good enough product but in that price range I prefer Taylors.
Regards,
Gordon
I think that these creams were reformulated a year ago and no longer contains parabens on their formulation.I have tried a generous sample of the French Vetyver and it was a good cream,kind like the Trumpers,Harris or TOBS in skin care properties and slickness.Dunno,maybe its time to get some of the 3Ts creams and Harris and try them again...
drumana

Post by drumana »

The French Vetiver is great. I recently finished my tub of it, but don't think I'll be restocking. I've gone a little 'au naturale' with my shaving products this past year, and the fact that it contains detergent bothers me. Will likely replace that tub with QCS Vetiver.

But if the ingredients don't matter to you C.R. Salter is a real nice cream. I never understood the aversion to it on the boards.
-Andrew-
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The only Salters I don't like is the Vetyver, but that's based on scent alone, the cream is fine.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mike, just out of curiosity, how does the Salter Lime compare to JM Fraser's original SC? Fraser's is a bit more economical, but it's a lime also, with a very good performance, to me. If Salter's is anything like it, then I know it's a fine product.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gary to me Salters lime scent is somewhat lighter and brighter than the three T's, Forbes and the like, distinctive and pleasant, just not so forceful, Vivaldi rather than Beethoven.
Regards,
Squire
drumana

Post by drumana »

Squire wrote:The only Salters I don't like is the Vetyver, but that's based on scent alone, the cream is fine.
Squire - Just goes to show you the differences in preferences. The French Vetyver was really the only scent I liked enough to warrant purchase of a tub. The Sandalwood and Wild Rose seemed nice, but not something I would use often.
-Andrew-
Araner

Post by Araner »

Squire wrote:...lighter and brighter...
Squire, that description nails it! The ony thing I can add is that the Slater's Lime lacks the artificial/chemical overtones that some other Limes have.

Gary, sorry, I've never tried Fraser's Lime so I can't compare.

Mike
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Mike, Not to worry. Fraser's isn't really a 'lime' shave cream anyway. It's more of a generic lemon/lime/citrus sort of scent, at least IMO.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

I like the "lighter and brighter" description too. It fittingly describes my impression of Fraser's. Gordon's correct that Fraser's doesn't call it "Lime", that's just my description of how it smells to my nose. The matching Booster's Aftershave is called "Iced Lime". With this in mind, Salter's Lime might be a good one for me to try, and the price is right.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have all the Salter creams, both in the old white tubs and the new blue ones. I quite like them, but remember they have been whipped and don't go as far as traditional creams. It's like buying whipped ice cream rather than the usual product; lots of air bubbles. But some of the scents are worth having - the French Vetiver, the Wild Rose, the Fresh Mint are all good, and the Indian Sandalwood provides a missing link-type explanation of how Taylor's Sandalwood cream is related to other more conventional sandalwood creams.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes, exactly. They seemed to have been whipped thus adding more air to the product. For me, this produced a lather that was a bit lighter weight as well although it was certainly useable. Some might even prefer that, but I did not. But yes again, some of the scents are quite appealing and a few are rather unique to the Salter line. I do believe that the Salter's cream is one of those products that every serious traditional shaver should at least try at some point.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've got a tub of Salter's Almond on order, and depending on how well that one is received, then if there is to be a second Salter in my house, it'll be the Lime. Far too soon to tell, as of right now, though. :lol:
Gary

drumana

Post by drumana »

Gordon - I never thought that the Salter's Vetiver ever produced a light or airy lather, but maybe I was unconsciously using more product as I do like my lather on the denser side of things.
-Andrew-
ltjaw

Post by ltjaw »

I'm on board with the Salter's creams and love the Vetiver scent. I just use more product and get a fantastic lather. Been debating a purchase of the Wild Rose while I finish a tub of eShave Floral.
Andrew