Best Almond Shaving Soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
cryhavoc

Best Almond Shaving Soap

Post by cryhavoc »

I've been using Col. Conk Almond and really like the scent. As a soap it is ok. I'm looking for a quality soap with a great Almond scent. Opinion gentlemen?
Jay
"Hello Floyd, this is Barney Fife. Who's in the chair...well
get rid of 'em. I'm coming over and I'm ready for action!
That's right, I want the works...shave, haircut, witch hazel,
O.D. cologne, toilet water...If it smells I want it!"
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Come to think of it Jay there is no almond scented soap I don't like. My first choice is Harris but there is no best scent, only preferences.
Regards,
Squire
PT

Post by PT »

I agree. Col. Conk has a great smell, mediocre performance.
The only other almonds I have tried is TOBS and Volabra and out of those Volabra is my fav.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Any of the soft Italian almond soaps will put the Conk in the shade. Cella, P160, Vitos and Valobra are all good.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jay, Well, my recommendation normally would be D R Harris's Almond hard shave soap, but it does not have that 'foody' sort of almond scent but rather a bracing eau de quinine fragrance. If the foody almond scent is a must than probably one of the Italian soaps like the Valobra soap brick or one of the ones mentioned by Chris above. If you are open to creams than one of the classic English potted numbers like Taylor or Truefitt & Hill.
Regards,
Gordon
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

The Cella 'soap' has a nice strong almond scent to it. The creams are pretty well even in scent among the top name brands.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
PT

Post by PT »

I'm going to have to try Cella now.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

PT wrote:I'm going to have to try Cella now.
In my opinion, you won't regret it. The more I use it, the more I like it.
It has an amazing lather that ranks up there with the best.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I agree that you'll be impressed with Cella's lather. Scent..hard to say. I like it, but I can see where some don't. I think Valobra's almond scent is slightly nicer; P.160 is too sweet for me. I like the Vitos scent as a middle ground, and you aren't giving anything up in terms of lather; really great soap.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
cryhavoc

Post by cryhavoc »

Ok Gents, since I am cheap I've decided to go with the Cella. I'm saving my pennies for the Harris.Thanks for the opinions, I'll let you know what I think of the Cella.
Jay
95%

Post by 95% »

TRBeck wrote:I agree that you'll be impressed with Cella's lather. Scent..hard to say. I like it, but I can see where some don't. I think Valobra's almond scent is slightly nicer; P.160 is too sweet for me. I like the Vitos scent as a middle ground, and you aren't giving anything up in terms of lather; really great soap.

Regards,
Of the ones Tim mentions, I'm familiar only with Cella and Valobra. They certainly lather well, as almost everyone agrees. As to their scents, initially I liked Cella. It had an old-fashioned, clean smell that reminded me of how my childhood house smelled after the cleaning woman had left, having done the laundry with a washboard and a tank of hot water. She must have used the same soap - whatever it was, probably an inexpensive household tallow soap - to wash the floors, kitchen, and bathroom. Eventually, however, it occurred to me that what I was smelling in Cella was the natural smell of fat, only weakly covered up with a bit of almond oil. Valobra smelled a little less fatty, though still I thought it was in the same ballpark.

I concluded that I preferred a well-composed fragrance like the ones offered by Trumper et al.
Porter
franz

Post by franz »

Can any of you gents try to enlighten me on what eau de quinine smells like? I plan to add another Harris soap eventually (almond or lavender), but I am a little puzzled when I run across that term :)
95%

Post by 95% »

The Harris Almond soap, which some describe as having an eau de quinine scent, comes across to me as dry, bitter, and slightly medicinal. It's a part of my weekly rotation.
Porter
drumana

Post by drumana »

cryhavoc wrote:Ok Gents, since I am cheap I've decided to go with the Cella. I'm saving my pennies for the Harris.Thanks for the opinions, I'll let you know what I think of the Cella.
I was going to chime in and put in another vote for Cella. Good choice. I think you'll like it.
-Andrew-
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Cella is my favorite as well, but I still have a way to go in trying the most highly regarded soaps.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

So far I've only used Vitos and p.160 and like them both. If anyone can't lather them and get great lather they didn't put their brush on the soap. I always get too much brush loading when I use them 'cause they load so easily (fast!).
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've avoided Conk's soaps. Almond would be Harris first, then tied for second would be Vitos Extra Super Cocco and Italian Barber Ltd. Ed. My solid third choice is RazoRock Cacao, if we all agree it's a soap. It might be considered a cream. :?:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

franz it's the same quinine as found in a gin & tonic, if that gives you a reference.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Jay I'm currently using Cella as well, I find it easy to lather and a very pleasant scent.
Regards,
Squire
cryhavoc

Post by cryhavoc »

I've got some Harris Almond coming to me, I got a great deal and couldn't resist.
Last edited by cryhavoc on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay