RazoRock Italian Master Barber Limited Edition Soap - Review

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

RazoRock Italian Master Barber Limited Edition Soap - Review

Post by brothers »

RazoRock MCMXXIV Italian Master Barber Limited Edition Artisan Shave Soap

1. Product name: RazoRock MCMXXIV Italian Master Barber Limited Edition Artisan Shave Soap
2. Country of origin: Italy
3. Container size: 225ml (7.6 ounces)
4. Price: $19.99
5. Cost per ounce: $2.63 per ounce
6. Fragrance: Does it have a scent? Classic Italian Almond
7. Texture: Describe the look and feel. Smooth soft soap
8. Protective: Does it protect against razor burn and chafing? Yes
9. Lubrication: Is it slippery? Did it help the razor slide smoothly? Yes
10. Efficiency: Does it do what was expected to help me shave? Yes
11. Endurance: Does it require reapplication during or between passes? Yes
12. Washable: Does it wash off face & razor easily afterward? Yes
13. Moisturizing: Does it add/restore moisture? Yes
14. Time elapsed: How long did it take to shave, from prep to cleanup? 15 to 20 minutes
15. Brush lather: Will a brush make it lather in a bowl? Yes
16. Brush cleanup: Does it easily rinse out of a brush? Yes
17. Remarks:

First, let’s start with the ingredients: Stearic Acid, Tallow, Water, Cocos Nucifera, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance, Potassium Carbonate. If this looks familiar, it’s virtually the same ingredients as Cella, listed in a different order.

The soap is a limited edition of 100 available only from The Italian Barber in Canada. I got # 64/100. It comes in a hefty rectangular block wrapped securely in clear plastic. The soap’s in a white box. Inside the box, the outer wrapper is black tissue paper adorned with RazoRock’s logo on a sticker. I cut off a chunk and easily pressed it into an empty red Cella tub for ease of use.

My hope was that this soap performs as well as Cella, with a more acceptable fragrance to my sense of smell. The shave proved that to be true. I loaded with a wet brush and face-lathered. I had used a pretty wet brush to start with, and it didn’t take long for the brush to create a tight crisp avalanche of lovely whipped cream lather without having to dip the brush in the water.

I was very impressed by two facts. I use a small brush-sized scuttle with very warm water. First, the warmth of the scuttle did not cause the lather in the brush to deteriorate and dissipate. (Note: P160 for example, dissipates severly in the warm scuttle between passes. I don't use it for that reason.) Second, I didn’t have to revisit the soap for subsequent passes. The lather in the brush remained active and readily provided far more than enough lather for three full ample re-latherings.

The soap performed quite well, in my opinion as good as Cella, with a fragrance that is different from Cella’s but more pleasing to me. Looks like a winner in my book!

ImageImage
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Very helpful review, Gary. Could you comment more about the scent? While I have never smelled Cella, I understand it is an almond scent; what is it about this scent that you prefer to Cella? Thanks, John
brothers

Post by brothers »

John, Cella has a pure bitter dry almond fragrance, some guys like it but for some reason it triggers an involutary gagging reflex for me. The RazoRock has a sweet almond smell, very similar to P160 and several others.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
matt321

Post by matt321 »

Thanks Gary.

Hey, is your #11 correct? You have to reload the brush?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Matt, I see what you mean. It could be stated better. I'm saying I relather the face between passes. Not reloading the brush.
Gary

matt321

Post by matt321 »

For the Roman Numeral challenged like me:
RazoRock MCMXXIV ?
looking it up now
Last edited by matt321 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matt321

Post by matt321 »

brothers

Post by brothers »

I believe I recall reading where Joseph picked that number as a salute to the famous Boellis 1924 shaving soap. Here are two interesting facts about the Boellis soap. It's a tallow soap and has an ingredient list almost identical to P160. Also, The Itallian Barber sells Boellis 1924 Shaving Soap.
Gary

AABCDS

Post by AABCDS »

brothers wrote:I believe I recall reading where Joseph picked that number as a salute to the famous Boellis 1924 shaving soap. Here are two interesting facts about the Boellis soap. It's a tallow soap and has an ingredient list almost identical to P160. Also, The Itallian Barber sells Boellis 1924 Shaving Soap.
Have you also used Boellis, Gary? If so, I would be interested in hearing how the RazoRock LE compares to Boellis.
Last edited by AABCDS on Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- James
WTT: My Semogue 2011 LE Badger 1 #70 for #62
brothers

Post by brothers »

James, I haven't used Boellis. Maybe someone has, and may be willing to post about it as compared, current day, to the other contemporary hitters. Gordon has posted his opinions in the past, but I'm not sure he compared it heads-up to P160, maybe he did, I'm just not recalling it.
Gary

IsaacRN

Post by IsaacRN »

i bought two bars out of Dallas and they were both rock hard. I found the lather less than stellar. But I suppose it was just an old batch.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Two bars of Boellis, Issac?
Regards,
Squire
brucered

Post by brucered »

i came very close to ordering this, but after i got busted with a large portion of Cella not liking it, i passed.

i do however like the other RR soaps (original, mentolipto, fresco to name a few).

i was also worried about falling in love with it, only to be sold out next time i needed.

too bad it wasn't available in 150mL containers.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bruce, Regarding Boellis, I studied the ingredient lists for a while and came to the conclusion that Boellis has the same ingredients in almost the same order as P160. I am one of the few that didn't think P160 was the best ever, so I haven't been in a hurry to get the Boellis.

Oh, and another thing I discovered is that Cella/RazoRock Limited Edition/Artisan soaps all have the same ingredients (except the french named one that doesn't have tallow) except maybe in different order.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

This is a follow up to rave about today's experience with the Ltd. Ed. soap. I added a bit more water than I felt comfortable with, and I took extra time with the brush in a latering bowl, rather than going straight to the face to build the lather. The extra effort this morning paid off in spades! Wonderful lather, probably one for the record books in my recent memory. This is good stuff.
Gary

brucered

Post by brucered »

thanks for the followup. from what i heard, there will be a 2012 LE soap this year as well. :lol:

this time, i'll buy. :P
Elephants never forget!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

James, I've used the Boellis 1924 soap. It came as a largish block and was VERY expensive. Back then, the only place that stocked it in North America was Bergdorf Goodman Men in NYC. To me it was very similiar in scent and performance to the much less pricey Valobra. Personally I like the English high end shave soaps and creams better.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

brucered wrote:thanks for the followup. from what i heard, there will be a 2012 LE soap this year as well. :lol:

this time, i'll buy. :P
Bruce, I must have missed that bit of information from Joseph. Did he mention whether or not it'll be the same recipe and fragrance? That would be my first concern.
Gary

shlalaw

Post by shlalaw »

Working on a sample now.