Video : How to lather a soft italian shaving soap.

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Aaron, if a lather appears over whipped, thin or frothy it contains too much water. Get the water ratio correct and there is no difference in the density of lather however it's made.

Essentially we use a wet brush to whip air into the soap/cream using water to bind the air and soap/cream together into a lather.

When I remove a new cake of soap from its box I place it in a bowl shaped container with about three to four times more volume of empty space above the soap. I then build lather directly on the surface of the soap and within the bowl.

When using cream I place a small amount (half teaspoon or so) in the empty bowl and build the lather using a wet brush, again within the confines of the bowl.

Lather comes out the same either way.
Regards,
Squire
matt321

Post by matt321 »

+1

I've always found the amount of added water to be key.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Also quite true when building the lather on the face. I've found it better, though, when I start with a pretty wet brush and can avoid the necessity of adding more water during the process. I'm finding it's too easy to get too much water when I have to go back and add water more than maybe once, after I've already got the lather going.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Aaron622

Post by Aaron622 »

Well, I would argue that bowl lathering is conducive to adding too much water because the bowl can hold as much water as you add. Plus if you start with a dry brush and slowly add water, you are constantly whipping air in as well. Obviously, YMMV.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Aaron, why would you use a dry brush?
Regards,
Squire
Aaron622

Post by Aaron622 »

Squire wrote:Aaron, why would you use a dry brush?
Squire, beats the hell out of me, but people do it all the time. By dry I mean a brush that has all the water squeezed out of it (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDwoK6t_ ... re=related related to the original one).

Aaron
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

He sure did, I just watched the video. Apparently he is satisfied with that method.
Regards,
Squire
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

Squire wrote:He sure did, I just watched the video. Apparently he is satisfied with that method.
And I am too.And to be honest,dont really like to make lather on a bowl at all,even when I made it for so many years.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Thanks for the video Teiste, visuals are always interesting.
Regards,
Squire