Anyone Else Use Brushless Shaving Creams?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Ouchmychin

Anyone Else Use Brushless Shaving Creams?

Post by Ouchmychin »

I have been using a combination of Vaseline and a Brusless shave cream for some time. Lately, because my nose is bandaged up from surgery I have just used a dab of Neutrogenia brushless for my daily shaves. I just realized that I have only tried two brands: Neutrogenia and Alba Botanicals (the latter in two flavors). I was wondering if any others at the forum use a brushless cream and which ones they prefer. I find the Neutrogena seems a bit greasier than the Alba ones and I prefer the Alba flavor that came in a green tube--i think it was some extra natuiral flavor, maybe aloe vera.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
druphus

Post by druphus »

Regards,
Andy
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

Kiss My Face
Trader Joe's Honey-Mango
Nancy Boy
Proraso

All of the above are fantastic when used brushless. Of them, Nancy Boy is the only one I prefer with a brush, but not by much.
Mike
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Way back when I first started to shave I used my father's cream Davon (I think that was the name) but soon after it was discontinued. Then we switched to Noxzema Brushless shave cream. I remember both being better than the canned stuff. Both came in a jar similar to the one used now for Noxzema skin cream.
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

brothers

Post by brothers »

Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

Per a previous post I recall you have a specific definition of brushless cream - no lather when rubbing it in. Keeping this in mind some of the creams mentioned here, like Kiss My Face, would not be for you.

I am not sure if it fits the bill as I have not used it, but I know Rich/Straight Arrow is offering some NOS US Palmolive Brushless for a rather good price (see link). I thought I would mention it as I rather enjoy the Lathering version.

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... ht=#575286
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Shaving creams generally can be used brushless if one is so inclined.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yes, it has been my experience that almost any cream that calls itself brushless does not do as well as a cream that can be used with or without a brush. The only thing missing is the voluminous lather created by the brush.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

And the experience of the brush on one's face, which is one of my primary reasons for traditional wetshaving.

That said, I have had good luck with KMF, HeadSlick (holy menthol, Batman!), and Lucky Tiger Molle used brushless. The first two make killer lather with a brush, though, or at least KMF did in its older formulation.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Andy is right. I have ordinary creams in my larder but since I have given up on wet shaving, I prefer a cold cream based brushless, like the old Barbasol. I still have my collection of soaps and creams and quiet a few brushes, but just have found that for my skill and skin, brushless is safer. No heat, no water, no lather and no nicks. I appeciate the advice though and I might give some of my old Tabac, Frazers, and Palmolive original creams a try as a brushless. What I do like with the ones I am now using is that smaller than a dime size puddle will do all my face and neck and it all works in and is invisible so I can easily shave around my moustache and beard. And I can do three passes and a polish without worrying or adding more.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
mikey

Post by mikey »

Somwhat surprisingly, I have found that canned products tend to perform better than brushless creams. My two current favorites are:

Cream: Noxzema or Barbasol

Gel: Edge Advanced Extra Protection

That being said, I am still trying to locate a can of La Toja shave gel at a reasonable price.

Thanks,
Mike
Last edited by mikey on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

+1 Rasoline - top notch, and great to use on your 4th pass if so inclined
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

I've used the KMF brushless, though I understand they've reformulated since I tried it last. Nancy Boy was good brushless, too, though that does not fit in your definition and I preferred to lather it with a brush.

I've also tried Avalon Organics' brushless cream, which is much more the greasy kind. But I'm of the do-it-right-or-don't-bother school, so when I have overslept or am camping on a weekend, I won't rush through a brush shave -- the AO is the one I use. It treats my face well and lets me shave very close with one application. It's not as easy to get off the blade as a standard soap or cream. But it works.
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
drumana

Post by drumana »

I have a few sampler tubes of Kiehl's brushless shave cream. Makes for totally boring yet superb shaves. I use it every now and then when traveling. Burt's Bees also has a decent brushless cream.
-Andrew-
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey, what about Cremo, where's the love?
Regards,
Squire
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

mikey wrote:Somwhat surprisingly, I have found that canned products tend to perform better than brushless creams.
Me, too, Barbasol being a favorite, though Noxzema in all of its iterations works well for me, too. These are what I use when I absolutely must. I try to shape my life circumstances so that absolutely must never happens, but I've had four or five Barbasol shaves in the last year.

Not something I'd usually admit in mixed company, though...:wink:

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

In my experience, the aerosols have the cushion I like, but not the slick, and they dry out too fast and leave you unprotected. The tubes have plenty of slick but no cush, and they tend to gunk up the razor. I feel more irritation after using them, too. I'd been using the Gillette Series Sensitive Foam and thought it decent, if a little lightweight. Now I've had an excellent couple of last shaves with the Gillette Foamy Lemon Lime. But it's still nothing I'd like to live with long-term. The mention of Nancy Boy reminded me it was my first high-end cream, which I liked well enough -- enough to go back and revisit again.
Ron
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

I think Fraser "Jake's Sport" would meet your spec and another +1 for NB as well.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

Squire wrote:Hey, what about Cremo, where's the love?
I should have put it on my list above. JM Fraser's too.
Mike
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Squire wrote:Hey, what about Cremo, where's the love?
Yeah, Cremo Cream is very good. The new T&H "Authentic No. 10" cream and gel is excellent. Sharps Kid Glove is great if you can find it. For mass-market brands, I find King Of Shaves Alphagel acceptable.

I just tried "The Village Barber" shave oil this morning--it performs very well but left my face a bit greasy. Pacific Shaving's Shave Oil is excellent as well.

--Mark