liking "the fat"

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

I love the Fat as well. The only thing keeping me
from using it exclusively is Tabac, Taylor's Rose
and Lavender creams.

I also enjoy adding something new from time to
time. I'm sure most if not all are familiar with
this.

Terry
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

A fellow on another forum told me to try this and I did this morning.

Here's the story: He was traveling over the Christmas holiday and left his after shave balm at home, so all he had was his MWF. After he shaved and rinsed his face with warm water, he took some of the left over lather and rubbed it in to his face and let it set for about 5-minutes, then rinsed with cold water. Said it left his face feeling soft and smooth.

So, I tried it this morning, and he was right. My face felt very refreshed, smooth, soft, etc., and was then ready for my Floid Blue.

I think I will try this for a few days to see what happens. Maybe I will go from a BBS shave to a SBS shave (Sheep Butt Smooth). :wink:
Johnny

"Younger than some, older than most" - Wet shaving for 50+ years
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Johnny,

A good massage with any left over lather is nice -- but especially nice with The Fat.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
water

Post by water »

Even better with Harris Lavender. :)

Post by wvbias »

...and Trumper's Coconut Soap.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

almost from my first time using mwf i have applied the left over lather after my shave.. i do my razor and brush cleanup and the a cold water rinse..

and i do agree ,,, my skin loves it

marc
brothers

Post by brothers »

No doubt MWF and a few others lend themselves to a nice post shave lathering.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Dapper Dad

Post by Dapper Dad »

marsos52 wrote:almost from my first time using mwf i have applied the left over lather after my shave.. i do my razor and brush cleanup and the a cold water rinse..

marc
Me too! Me too! :wink:

I believe that if you take scent preferences out of the equation...MWF is the best.
Eric
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Dapper Dad wrote:
marsos52 wrote:almost from my first time using mwf i have applied the left over lather after my shave.. i do my razor and brush cleanup and the a cold water rinse..

marc
Me too! Me too! :wink:

I believe that if you take scent preferences out of the equation...MWF is the best.
But, that is also my scent favorite. Who says you can't have your cake and eat it to?
Johnny

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I like the scent of MWF as well, come to think of it I like most everything about it. With our recent discussions of vintage shaving soaps it's remarkable that the Fat has been with us for close to a century.
Regards,
Squire
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

Lets hope that they never mess with the formula.

Terry
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

[/quote]Lets hope that they never mess with the formula.
[quote]

lets hope alot

marc
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

The sheep would not stand for it. Nobody wants a sheep stampede.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
ghart

Post by ghart »

Lets hope that they never mess with the formula.

To my nose it smells exactly the same as it did when my grandfather used it, more than 50 years ago. Still, I guess some new regulation could emerge that would force them to alter the formula!

George
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

wvbias wrote:Lets hope that they never mess with the formula.

Terry
There is a very well informed member here that actually had a conversation with the owner of MWF. According to the owner, if he was forced to change the formula he would just close up shop. Afterall, the "Fat" content is obtained in a rather unique way (no harm to the animal) and if he couldn't keep producing the shave soap the way it was originally intended, what's the use in staying in business.
Of course, IF he did close his business, that would be a great loss to the shaving community, me in particular. That's why I have a very healthy amount of the "Fat" stockpiled, just in case.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

One of the reasons, I suspect, that leads into their decision not to make a stick version of the Fat. That's one I thing I wish they would move forward on, but have learned to not expect that they ever will.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Getting a nice big stick of MWF is a 10 minute project. Get an empty Brut deodorant push up stick; grate the MWF; pack it firmly down into the stick container. Then you're done. The only thing to fear, I suppose, is fear itself. There's truly no other reason to delay making a stick of MWF.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

brothers wrote:Getting a nice big stick of MWF is a 10 minute project. Get an empty Brut deodorant push up stick; grate the MWF; pack it firmly down into the stick container. Then you're done. The only thing to fear, I suppose, is fear itself. There's truly no other reason to delay making a stick of MWF.
Will one puck of MWF grated fill the Brut container?
Johnny

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I dunno -- MWF with a slight Brut smell??? Doesn't appeal to me that much. :wink:

Actually, I will have to think about trying this --- -when I put in my next order -- down to one in packaging and one in my porcelain dish.
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

Johnny wrote:
brothers wrote:Getting a nice big stick of MWF is a 10 minute project. Get an empty Brut deodorant push up stick; grate the MWF; pack it firmly down into the stick container. Then you're done. The only thing to fear, I suppose, is fear itself. There's truly no other reason to delay making a stick of MWF.
Will one puck of MWF grated fill the Brut container?
Yes, it'll be a full stick. And if you wash off the Brut container and dry it, it's just plastic and there's no residual fragrance. It's a fun and rewarding project. I happened to find a wooden dowel that's only slightly smaller in diameter than the container and use the dowel to shove whatever soap I might happen to be using down very snugly into the container. Anything similar, such as a hammer handle, would probably work just fine. While I'm doing the project, I occasionally microwave the soap for 8 seconds to give it a slight bit of malleability. Here's an MWF stick I made a few months ago.

Gary