Any hard soaps that smell like T&H or Coates Lavender?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
DavidB

Any hard soaps that smell like T&H or Coates Lavender?

Post by DavidB »

Truefitt & Hill is my fave lavender cream ever since Coates lavender was discontinued. Are there any triple milled soaps that smell like that?

Dave
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

Cyril R Salter and Vulfix shaving soaps.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Thanks! Have you tried either of them?

Dave
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

DavidB wrote:Thanks! Have you tried either of them?

Dave
The Ciryl R Salter and smells identical than the T&H.A guy from my forum have also tried the Vulfix and idem.The Vintage Blades lavender shaving soap the same than the other 3 ones.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I agree that these smell like the T&H soap. But the T&H lavender cream is something else again, a very distinct and marvelous scent IMO but not much like the T&H soap, nor any other hard-milled soap I've encountered. That T&H lavender cream is incredible.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

David, I haven't run across any soaps that remind me of the lavender creams offered by Coate's or T&H. And I have looked. Most seem to be of the EO variety as opposed to the cologne-y type in those creams.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
water

Post by water »

Of what I have tried from T&H, I believe the Lavender cream is their best product.

The Salter soap does not smell like the cream. It has a very light scent with a very mild Lavender undertone. I placed the soap in an empty T&H Lavender container in the hope it might become imbued with the cream's spirit. Little luck thus far. :)

Post by Quarterstick »

I recall a fairly recent post where some of the more knowledgeable members indicated triple milled soaps as a general rule do not have as strong a scent as creams. So although you may find something with a similar scent profile, it may very well not meet with your satisfaction due to lack of intensity.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
brothers

Post by brothers »

TRBeck wrote:I agree that these smell like the T&H soap. But the T&H lavender cream is something else again, a very distinct and marvelous scent IMO but not much like the T&H soap, nor any other hard-milled soap I've encountered. That T&H lavender cream is incredible.
Tim, I concur with this observation. The Coates was legendary, and the T&H is now the King, due to the disappearance of Coates. I think if I were fortunate enough to own Coates and had the means of reviving the classic old fragrances, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I don't! :roll:

But really, since the king is dead, Long Live the King of Lavender shaving cream, Truefitt and Hill! :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

brothers wrote:
TRBeck wrote:I agree that these smell like the T&H soap. But the T&H lavender cream is something else again, a very distinct and marvelous scent IMO but not much like the T&H soap, nor any other hard-milled soap I've encountered. That T&H lavender cream is incredible.
Tim, I concur with this observation. The Coates was legendary, and the T&H is now the King, due to the disappearance of Coates. I think if I were fortunate enough to own Coates and had the means of reviving the classic old fragrances, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But I don't! :roll:

But really, since the king is dead, Long Live the King of Lavender shaving cream, Truefitt and Hill! :lol:
Thrice concurred! Nothing comes close to it. The scent has herbal undertones that blend perfectly into an airy, floral lavender. In my opinion, this is the perfect shaving medium scent.

And the performance is tops as well.
Silb3r

Post by Silb3r »

How does Castle Forbes compare with T&H cream? Only curious because CF lavender is my fave and I'd consider some of the soaps recommended here if the T&H and CF are similar!
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Silb3r wrote:How does Castle Forbes compare with T&H cream? Only curious because CF lavender is my fave and I'd consider some of the soaps recommended here if the T&H and CF are similar!
In the creams, the scent between the CF and T&H Lavenders is very different. CF is basically an EO lavender, a bit on the sweeter side, whereas T&H Lavender is drier, with a definite powdery note. The quality of the lather from both is excellent. I personally prefer T&H shave-wise- not by a lot, though- but from an olfactory perspective I prefer CF. Regarding the T&H soap, the scent is much more muted than either creams, with to my nose at least, is a fairly mild scent with something else that I can't identify. The shave is soap excellent. It would be nice if CF made a soap.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy