Best Unscented shaving cream?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

Clearly the best unscented choice is a nice fresh stick of Arko. :lol:

I have tried very few truly unscented products, but I am sensitive to some scents (I can't use Pinuad Clubman AS, for example) , so I have an idea of what is usually okay for all but the most extremely sensitive people. Liek i lot of guys on the more sensitive end of the spectrum I use a lot of lavender. It is very mild and irritates *almost* no one. TOBS Avacado has very little scent, is very mild, and very protective, as well.
OtherMoe

Post by OtherMoe »

Sargon wrote:Clearly the best unscented choice is a nice fresh stick of Arko. :lol:

I have tried very few truly unscented products, but I am sensitive to some scents (I can't use Pinuad Clubman AS, for example) , so I have an idea of what is usually okay for all but the most extremely sensitive people. Liek i lot of guys on the more sensitive end of the spectrum I use a lot of lavender. It is very mild and irritates *almost* no one. TOBS Avacado has very little scent, is very mild, and very protective, as well.
I agree on the TOBs Avacado. Another cream that I enjoyed, and really has very little scent (IMO, less than the Avacado) was Trumpers Coconut.
--------------------------
-Moe
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sargon, Arko soap may be a lot of things, but "unscented" is not a term I'd ever use to describe Arko soap! I like it, just for the record!

TOBS Avocado is also the furthest thing from unscented! It used to have a pleasant generic fragrance, then it was changed and now has a strong smell that has been described as "raw vegetables". Another description that I strongly agree with. Again for the record, I do not like it.

Moe, I've had the GFT Coconut on my wish list for a while, I've heard it is lightly scented, because I love the way coconut smells. I'll add a tube of it to an order one of these days, I'm just not in any hurry right now.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drumana

Post by drumana »

ATLpr8head wrote:KMF and AOS.
+1. KMF is a no brainer. Works great, costs little, and is available locally. It's also quite unscented, as in it smells like absolutely nothing (to my nose). AoS unscented has a faint smell of cardboard to me, but it's a real nice cream. If I had to choose between the two it would be KMF
-Andrew-
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Gary, you've already mentioned it, but the T&H Ultimate Comfort is a wonderful "unscented" cream. To my nose, it has a very light lavender fragrance. I'm hoping Santa brings a one liter pump bottle....we'll have to see...hehe...
Lynn
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

MWF does not include a scent in the product -- so what you smell is simply the result of pulling all the products together. Of course, I realize, Gary, that you are looking for unscented creams so it may not fit for you. Another option which I quite like for an scent-free experience would be the premium creams from Edwin Jagger. Even the sandalwood has only a slight hint of a scent.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wendell, I love MWF, and have plenty of it to last me. I notice that it's coming up in a few days for a 2 week tour of duty, and I can't wait to try it with a couple of recently acquired brushes.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drumana

Post by drumana »

jww wrote:MWF does not include a scent in the product -- so what you smell is simply the result of pulling all the products together.
I didn't know this. I remember MWF listing fragrance as one of the ingredients, but it's been years since I've had a MWF puck so I could be remembering incorrectly. At any rate, it certainly has a smell to it, whether or not it's added fragrance oils or just an artifact of the ingredients.
-Andrew-
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jumping back for a moment to the Lemon AOS cream. I received a sample this afternoon. I really like the smell of it, and am looking forward to finding out how well it shaves tomorrow.
Gary

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:Wendell, I love MWF, and have plenty of it to last me. I notice that it's coming up in a few days for a 2 week tour of duty, and I can't wait to try it with a couple of recently acquired brushes.
Ah yes -- that's the ticket.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
eyebright

Post by eyebright »

A lot of people have sensitivities to fragrances so you want to look for a product that actually doesn't contain fragrance, not just one that's faint. Also, my understanding is that FDA regulations allow the use of fragrance in supposedly "fragrance free" products, if it's there for the purpose of covering up an undesired scent that is due to the raw materials.
brothers

Post by brothers »

The AOS Lemon provided an outstanding shave this morning. The lather is slick and protective, didn't dissipate, and performs great overall. The post-shave skin care/moisturizing was very good.
Gary

Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Gary,

The T&H Ultimate Comfort has just a hint of Lavender Oil in it. It's used for its healing properties. I love this cream.

But without a doubt, IMHO the best soap on the planet is MWF. Lathers like crazy, softens the skin, and smells oh so good.

I don't need special shave weeks or occasions to use MWF. I use it at least 5 days per week all year long.
Johnny

"Younger than some, older than most" - Wet shaving for 50+ years