Best Unscented shaving cream?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Best Unscented shaving cream?

Post by brothers »

I'm actually looking for excellence in performance and post-shave skin care qualities. Unscented or fragrance free. I'd like to find out what works best for you guys. Funny thing, T&H Ultimate Comfort is "unscented" but it smells very nice! I don't understand these things, I just hunt. Which ones do you guys find to be your personal favorites?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

KMF and AOS. AOS if cost was no factor. I have either any longer only because I choose the SOTD by scent. I use to use KMF a lot when I superlathered products.
Shawn
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I used the Gentlemens Refinery Unscented cream early on and found its "unscent" intoxicating. Lathering, etc., were okay, but I moved on.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm thinking maybe there aren't a whole lot of guys gravitating toward the unscented/fragrance free side of the family. :lol:

I would like to ask this question, if I may. With or without a fragrance, do you guys think AOS is a great shaving cream in terms of performance? Does it have any drawbacks or weaknesses? How does it perform on a daily basis?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
OtherMoe

Post by OtherMoe »

The only experience with KMF and AOS that I have is with their scented creams. Though very nice, I would not put KMF in the same league as AOS. I think the skin care properties are very similar, but AOS provides a much nicer shave IMO (slickness, cushion, and lather quality).

I also think it takes much more KMF by volume to make the same amount of lather compared to AOS..... I'd run a comparison, but gave my KMF to a work friend of mine a few months ago....... I have no plans to give away my AOS ;-)

-Moe
--------------------------
-Moe
harper

Post by harper »

Trumper has one called GFT and I bought a tube to see what it was like. It works as well as the other Trumper creams but I prefer some fragrance so I have not purchased more than the one tube. If you like Trumper creams as I do, then it is as good as any of the others in the line.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bob, I didn't reallize GFT is unscented. I think I have a sample somewhere around here, if I can find it. Thanks.
Gary

i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

brothers wrote:Bob, I didn't reallize GFT is unscented. I think I have a sample somewhere around here, if I can find it. Thanks.
My understanding is that the GFT shave cream is scented with their 'GFT' fragrance. Never tried it personally and maybe not very strong, but's it's definitely not marketed as an unscented cream as far as I know. Would be interested in any tests though in case the scent is so light that it may pass for unscented.
Rob
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

I find GFT pretty heavily scented but find their coconut very light. Still scented though. My old neighbor uses Mama Bear's unscented soap as he has a job that he is unable to wear scent and he hunts. however this falls into the soap and glycerine catergory. I think AOS is by far your best bet. KMF does require more product and not as luxurious but still works fine. It whips up into some mountains of lather. Luckily there are not many options to choose from :D
Shawn
brothers

Post by brothers »

I located my GFT sample last night, and I don't think it's meant to be unscented. Actually the fragrance of the GFT is a little sharp for my nose. It looks like the AOS might be the best candidate so far.
Gary

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Gary, AoS is good, but it has recently been reformulated. This may or may not alter its performance, but it's something to be aware of. Most guys probably have not tried the newer formulation. I have used AoS Unscented to good effect, but it was a tub I bought almost two years ago. KMF is excellent, too, though also recently reformulated, and it's not expensive as an experiment. TGR Unscented is definitely unscented, truly unscented, no underlying chemical/soap/ingredient smell. It's a good cream. It is a bit more expensive than the others, though.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ahhh, Tim, the plot thickens! This reformulation issue is affecting everything apparently. Is there a link somewhere that I can follow to compare the old vs. new AOS?
Gary

TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Gary, here you go:
http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49022

As I pointed out in that thread, the reformulation doesn't appear all that major to me, and there's no way to know from the ingredient list if it will affect performance, but the details are all there.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks!
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I find GFT cream to be noticeably scented but not heavily so.
Regards,
Squire
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

Yeah, the sample I tried of the GFT was about a 6/10 on the scent scale with the top citrusy notes pronounced well. It is one of my favorite scents, but the cream didn’t wow me at all.

AOS Lemon could be mistaken for unscented, in both cream & soap. Good stuff, just boring to use! I found the AOS unscented smelled like a dentist office.
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

I use AoS unscented and like it a lot. It does have a scent, just no added fragrance, that I have read is the scent of the tallow. It has a clay-like smell. This is the only choice at my Nordstroms that is available in a tube. Definitely try it.
Ron
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ron, am I understanding correctly that the AOS creams have the same tallow/clay undertone as the soaps? If that is the case, then I'm afraid I'm out of the running for the AOS. That undertone is well-liked by many, but a few of us unlucky ones can't abide it.
Gary

Quarterstick

Re: Best Unscented shaving cream?

Post by Quarterstick »

brothers wrote:Funny thing, T&H Ultimate Comfort is "unscented" but it smells very nice! I don't understand these things, I just hunt.
As a previously self-anointed anti-scent person (these higher quality shaving product scents have changed by mind), I have discovered that "Unscented" or "Fragrance Free" does not really mean it will not smell like something. The manufacturers just did not add anything to try to give it a particular scent so the products usually have some sort of smell.

Kiss My Face unscented cream is where I started in wet shaving. It works pretty good, but I think it performs best when don't try to lather with a brush. What you can smell is very subtle. It is a little odd and I am not sure how to describe it, but I I do not mind it at all.

AOS unscented cream is a better performer in my opinion. I believe this is what they give out in their sample pack. If you have an AOS nearby pop in to try it out at no charge to see if it has the clay/tallow scent you do not like.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

brothers wrote:Ron, am I understanding correctly that the AOS creams have the same tallow/clay undertone as the soaps? If that is the case, then I'm afraid I'm out of the running for the AOS. That undertone is well-liked by many, but a few of us unlucky ones can't abide it.

No, the unscented soap is completely different from the cream! I don'tlike the soap so much either!
Ron