Taylor's Sandalwood Cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Quarterstick wrote: Too bad they do not have a sampler.
Andy, ask and you shall receive. The Shave Den Store sells Taylor's samples (and a whole lot more) at very reasonable prices. Joanna will be happy to help you out in this department. About a year ago I took advantage of this service, and was very happy with my Taylor's samples. Here's the link: http://www.theshaveden.com/store/index. ... ductId=101
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

brothers wrote:The Shave Den Store sells Taylor's samples (and a whole lot more)
:shock: Well that's an understatement! Thanks for the info Gary.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Andy. Glad to hear that you got an opportunity to check out one of the Taylor's creams. They have always been a tremendous buy compared to the other top shelf English creams. As you pointed out, their redition of 'sandalwood' is unlike that of the other St, James's purveyors, the Taylors being scented to match their Sandalwood Cologne and A/S. Personally I like the cologne but found the scent to be a little too much in the shave cream format. But, of course, that is just a matter of personal taste. I will say that I have found their creams in the tubes to be inconsistant and usually less thick than the pots. With Taylors I always opt for the pots even though I buy tubes from some of the other firms.

Sam, As far as what is available today, I think the Trumpers Sandalwood cream is closest to the Coate's, The old T&H WAS even closer, but as was said above, it has been changed and is now quite different.
Regards.
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

I have really changed my mind on scents since this whole wet shaving thing has gotten into my blood (I hope I have not rambled on about this before, at least not too much). I cannot take the smells of mass market soaps and canned creams. The higher quality products associated with wet shaving also have higher quality scents and I find it yet another benefit of the process.

As you say Gordon the scent of Taylor's Sandalwood is very good, but is a bit strong. I think it helps that I bowl lather so when I lather it up, the smell disapates some. Also, I have a mustache so no cream right below the olfactory intake. It is very pleasant for me to use.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
drumana

Post by drumana »

TOBS Sandalwood shave cream is excellent. The scent is more cologne-like than what I usually gravitate towards but I find it to be very refined and masculine smelling.
-Andrew-
CSG

Post by CSG »

In general, I'm a fan of TOBS and I have a tub of the Sandalwood cream. It smells a little funky in the tub but improves tremendously upon lathering. I recently, however, got and ended up returning a tube of their Lavender as the scent was so mild as to be considered unscented. Still a great product from a lathering/shaving POV, however.

I've wondered if I'd be happy or disappointed with their rose cream. Both T&H and GFT have very nice rose scents in theirs with T&H being the superior product both in scent and quality of shave. A lot of folks seem to like the TOBS better still but after my experience with their Lavender, I've been hesitant (I have samples of the former but not of TOBS).
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

For me the TOBS sandalwood comes in a close second to C&E sandalwood cream for both scent and lather performance.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
brothers

Re: Taylor's Sandalwood Cream

Post by brothers »

It's been 2 years since I last used Taylor's Sandalwood shaving cream. This morning it came up for the next few days. Great lather! I had forgotten just how good it is. Thick, protective, slick, and it smells very good.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
John Rose

Post by John Rose »

While I thought TOBS Sandalwood cream was a fine performer, I was really disappointed in the scent. Not at all like the sandalwood of Proraso Red, which I love.
If anything, it had top notes of Fart. :-B
So, I piffed it to my son, who thought it was fine. :-s

As it happens, the Sandalwood version of Fendrihan's own brand of shave cream is very similar in scent. Fortunately, that was just a 5 g sample jar.
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
brothers

Post by brothers »

John Rose wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:48 pm . . . . If anything, it had top notes of Fart. :-B
It never fails, one guy's perception is going to be just the opposite of the next guy's. My point, my opinion of the Proraso Red cream was exactly what you thought of the Taylor's --- putrid --- nothing of Sandalwood! :x :D For the record, I find Taylor's to be a good Sandalwood. What can one say?
Gary

John Rose

Post by John Rose »

brothers wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:50 pmWhat can one say?
One can say "À chacun son goût".
"If this isn't nice, then what is?" - Kurt Vonnegut's Uncle Alex
brothers

Post by brothers »

Around these parts it translates to YMMV! :D
Gary