Dr. Selby's Lavender Luxury Shaving Cream (concentrated)

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

@Billyboy

I will probably end up getting it at some point. I really do have too much but if I do finish off more than 5 products this year then I will pull the trigger. I have to stick to my plan at least through summer time:)
Shawn
malocchio

premier shave

Post by malocchio »

well,finally got a tub,and I think the lather is excellent,nice and thick,should work with just about any brush you throw at it...Lavender ??? where? Not by a long shot ! absolutely zero lavender in this mix....Smells like Arko mixed with Palmolive ...not bad,but the term "lavender" is truly misleading....The plastic tub is surely reusable and of good quality...Will try the menthol tube cream soon...
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

I agree with you Ron 100%. Not a trace of Lavender, but a great shave soap/cream nonetheless. I know lots of guys like the soapy old time scent, and this one has it in spades.
OtherMoe

Post by OtherMoe »

I'm excited to try this, i've got some on the way....... :-)
--------------------------
-Moe
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

I think Brothers review was spot on. This is a very good soap. Best of all, it has excellent skin care qualities.
OtherMoe

Post by OtherMoe »

Have tried this a couple times now. Agree it is a great cream. Call me crazy, but I DO smell some lavendar. Does it smell like any other lavendar soap/cream product that i've smelled before,,, NOPE. We had ~ 10-12 Lavendar plants in our front yard in Atlanta, it faintly reminds me of how those used to smell, specially when it was time to clean/trim them up. So more a combination of light lavendar and earthy green stem/stalk, and leaves.
--------------------------
-Moe
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

I still have a hard time detecting Lavender, but just received a tub of Razo Rock King Louis, which they call a Lavender, and it kinda reminds me of Dr. Selby. Both are great scents to my nose.
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

A guy I know in Uruguay offered me a Dr Selby Lavender cream, but I very politely declined, because it's his only one.
JEFF
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

I have found lavender a difficult fragrance to pin down. What should it smell like?

There are the flowers, which to my nose have a slight sweetness. Then there is the essential oil, which I think has a more herbal quality. Additionally, to make things more complicated, I am given to understand that many essential oils labled lavender are actually lavandin, which is a hybrid plant that has more green and camphor like scents. Factor in the mixing of other scents that manufacturers may add and... well let's just say I will never have a career in the perfum industry with my nose. "What do you detect?" I dunno, smells good.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
malocchio

real deal

Post by malocchio »

next time you spot an art of shaving store ,go in and smell their lavender cream.This is what a lavender cream/soap should smell like...
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

I used Dr. Selby for the first time and came away very impressed. It lathered easily and the lather was both slick and protective. While the scent is not my favorite, I like it far more than the hot tar scent of MDC. Good stuff!
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Obie

Post by Obie »

Gentlemen,
Dr. Selby lathers well. The glide is passable. The fragrance is mild, which is fine. I find the cushion, however, disappointing. Really disappointing. A sign of a good soap for me is how it leaves the face after the shave. I shaved with it today for the first time and am ready to call the fire department. Forgive me for going against the grain here, gentlemen, but I I'm afraid I'm going to have to uber Dr. Selby to death until I get rid of it.
Stay well.
Obie Yadgar
obieyadgar.com
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sorry your first outing with this product didn't work out, Obie. That's the way it goes, I reckon. Why try to use it up? :D I'm sure you have others that you enjoy using. Sell or pif it, that's my recommendation. Best regards,
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Obie

Post by Obie »

brothers wrote:Sorry your first outing with this product didn't work out, Obie. That's the way it goes, I reckon. Why try to use it up? :D I'm sure you have others that you enjoy using. Sell or pif it, that's my recommendation. Best regards,
Hello, brothers:
On second thought I agree with you about not using it, my friend. Thanks for the suggestion. I do have many others, yes, including Martin de Candre and Provence Sante, and life's too short to ruin the sacred morning shave.
Now, if you will forgive me, I must give my face a lot of smooches with an ice cube.
Stay well.
Obie Yadgar
obieyadgar.com
brothers

Post by brothers »

Obie wrote:. . . . life's too short to ruin the sacred morning shave.
You definitely have a way with words! An enjoyable moment spent shaving can be the start to a good day, every day.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Obie

Post by Obie »

brothers wrote:
Obie wrote:. . . . life's too short to ruin the sacred morning shave.
An enjoyable moment spent shaving can be the start to a good day, every day.
How right you are, my dear friend.
Obie Yadgar
obieyadgar.com