Dr. Selby's Lavender Luxury Shaving Cream (concentrated)

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Dr. Selby's Lavender Luxury Shaving Cream (concentrated)

Post by brothers »

1. Product name: Dr. Selby’s Lavender Luxury Shaving Cream

2. Remarks: (Note: This review only addresses the 3 times concentrated product in the plastic bowl. It does not address Dr. Selby’s soft shaving cream that’s sold in tubes.)

The box states it is three times concentrated. There’s supposedly enough product in the bowl to provide 400 shaves. There’s no reason to doubt that statement. (I put a small amount of water on the soap before loading, then I load the brush for around 40 seconds, and after a few shaves, the top of the cream is as flat as the day it was new, no indentation seen.)

This product does not produce weak watery suds with big or small bubbles. It produces lather. You get a rich, shiny, tight, slick and creamy abundance of lather. Because the product starts out highly concentrated, it permits the addition of water without getting too much water too soon. One would have to try to get too much water.

I get the same lather and shave with Dr. Selby’s as I do with Martin de Candre. It smells nice, it’s readily available at the moment, and it’s $15 for enough to last more than a year.

There’s no dissipation of lather in the brush while parked in the warm scuttle, or just sitting on the counter between passes without a scuttle.

Your results might vary, but I have no problem recommending this product.

3. Ingredient list: Stearic acid, potassium hydroxide, coconut oil, sodium hydroxide, glycerin, fragrance. CI45350, CI42015, CI47005.

(For comparison purposes, here’s the ingredient list for Martin de Candre: Stearic acid, water, coconut acid, potassium hydroxide, glycerin, fragrance.)

Both soaps have only 6 ingredients (not counting coloring agents found in Dr. Selby’s). They have 5 ingredients in common, MdC has water and Dr. Selby’s does not. Dr. Selby’s has sodium hydroxide, MdC does not.
(Dr. Selby’s has 3 coloring agents listed.)

4. Country of origin: Product of Uruguay, SA

5. Container size: 125g

6. Price: $14.99 sold in USA by Razor Blades & More

7. Cost per ounce: $3.40

8. Fragrance: Does it have a scent? Yes, clean, pleasant, and mild

9. Texture: Describe the look and feel. Silky, green and very firm

10. Protective: Does it protect against razor burn and chafing? Yes

11. Lubrication: Is it slippery? Did it help the razor slide smoothly? Yes

12. Efficiency: Does it do what was expected to help me shave? Yes

13. Endurance: Does it dissipate in the brush between passes? No

14. Moisturizing: Does it add/restore moisture? Yes
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Darn, Gary. This one is very tempting. My most likely problem would be fragrance.

I find it very interesting that the instructions say to leave the container uncovered, affixing the lid only for travel.

- Murray

PS. Congratulations on 5500 posts!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Murray, I'm not sure why they recommend that. I'm not going to follow it. There are 3 little holes in the lid that will permit the product to breathe. Mainly, the lid is too pretty not to keep it on the soap.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Interesting, thanks for the review. I have a generous sample of MdC and although it's very good I don't find it as good as the triple milled English soaps of yore. If Dr. Selby's is the same then I'll count this review as satisfying my curiosity.

I will say though that the Dr. Selby's box is very reminiscent of the old Yardley shaving soap box.

Chris
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

Nice review,sir!
I simply wanna add that the stearic acid that this cream contains comes from tallow and a vegetable source as I have been told by the Terry SA guys (the people behind Dr Selby) so its not a vegetable based shaving soap/cream.
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

Great review. I too like the cannister and the top. Haven't found any issues with keeping the lid on. The scent is a cross between Palmolive & Erasmic. Kind of soapy & clean, light and airy. And actually a little "old time" Kind of like it. Don't understand where or why they refer to it as Lavender.
Have only tried it once and didn't load enough soap. Will be using it again this morning to get the combination right to get a better lather.
Glad I have it. Don't let the scent hold you back if you like Palmolive or Erasmic.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Billyboy, thanks for identifying a proper reference for the fragrance of Dr. Selby's. I'm not so well-inclined. All I do know about it in this case is that Selby's smells less mysterious than Martin de Candre. Palmolive yes, lavender, no.
Gary

billyboy

Post by billyboy »

Just worked with this soap this morning, and got a great lather. Love this soap/cream.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Thanks, billyboy, for a description of the fragrance. If it is anything like the Palmolive shave stick, I'm definitely out, as I can't tolerate any sort of perfumery.

- Murray
malocchio

stearic

Post by malocchio »

great review Gary ! sounds good to me.I would have preferred a good ,true lavender scent,but that "clean green" palmolive scent is nice for me as well.When I was a kid the palmolive factory was literally across the street from my house in berkeley,calif. ,and walking to school I loved that soap smell....if they are using shea butter,or cocoa butter,this could very well be the source of the stearic acid...How many online vendors have we found for this product,I only know of rb&m and giftsandcare...?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Those are the only two that I'm aware of.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Appropriate backups have been secured.
Gary

crackstar

Post by crackstar »

I've heard some great reports about this brand.
JEFF
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Great review, I look forward to trying this product. It's in the mail.
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

Got it. Love it. The hype is justified.
Love the scent, though it's not lavender.
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

This sounds very interesting indeed........................

Thanks for a great review!

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Yup, I only had enough soap to make it until I'm 150 years old. Now I'll be able to make it until 151 plus. LOL.
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

I am happy with myself but upset at the same time. Just made an order with razor blades & more to get some blades I have been wanting to try and I added this to my cart and deleted it before checkout. I made a promise to me (and my wife) not to buy any software this year. I REALLY want to try this stuff also but must hold back :( I am glad to see a product that is able to compete with MdC. Even without the fancy bowl.
Shawn
billyboy

Post by billyboy »

ATLpr8 - I know your frustration, but your wife has to understand that you're now going to be anxious for the next few weeks and it will show. She needs to understand that this one additional small indulgence will satifsfy your curiosity (btw, you won't be disappointed), and it will put you in a better frame of mind. This is a great soap with a great old time barbershop scent (to my nose a cross between Palmolive & Erasmic with a touch of Musgo Real). It lathers beautifully and provides good cushion and is slick. I think at $14,99 or whatever the price it is, it easily competes with soaps in the price range of up to $20-$25.00.
You should contact this vendor, and adjust your order (to save on the shipping :lol: )
I have too many soaps for sure, but keep wanting to go back to this one.
vegasvics

Post by vegasvics »

Thanks for the review. I have tube of the shave cream in the bullpen waiting to make its debut. I may have to move it's premier up to tomorrow 8)