Finally!! Update - Tallow Soap Project

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
RazorRamone

Finally!! Update - Tallow Soap Project

Post by RazorRamone »

For those of you that remember, I have been trying to get my triple milled shaving soap project off the ground for nearly two years.

Without getting into all the details, trying to get this soap made through contract manufacturers has been very challenging. After nearly giving up, I decided to work with a chemist and create my very own tallow soap formula.

Today, I received the first samples. As my previous experiences with manufacturers were awful, I did not have high expectations. I put the very hard/heavy/traditional tallow shaving soap puck (floral sweet almond scented) in a bowl and gave it a whirl. To my surprise, I have a soap that IMO has a lather that already completes with my classics collection!! It would seem very much like a traditional English inspired soap. (Pens, Yardley, DRH.)

Fingers crossed on next steps! Wish me luck. :lol:
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

Dibs on the first round of samples! :D
Jason

Post by TRBeck »

Good luck! I think this and this alone might tempt me to break my resolution against buying consumable shave goods this year.

Looking forward to more information. I'm very excited about this and for you.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Sounds terrific!

I wonder...Does your chemist friend have any thoughts about any differences for a soap that would work well with hard water?
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Very exciting! I look forward to hearing more.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Thanks for the update Razor, I thought you had given up after not hearing about it for so long. Hope all goes well for you. :D
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
brothers

Post by brothers »

Please succeed!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nathanb

Post by nathanb »

Great work, just like others I eagerly await more news! :D
-Nathan
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I hope everything turns out the way you want it to!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Being a fan of tallow-based soaps...I look forward to hearing of further developments.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Good luck. I'll look forward to hearing about your progress, and perhaps trying one of the soaps in the future. I really like these projects.
_______
John
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

Thanks for all the well wishes.

I am testing the sample soap all this week. Although the soap initially lathers really well, there appears to be tweaks required in terms of cushion and lather stability.

If there's one thing I do know, a properly developed product usually takes time. That said, I am quite pleased with Round One of development.

As my Chemist is not a shaving enthusiast (he prefers shaving gels), I would be pleased if I had a retail ready soap before Summer.
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

This is good news, indeed.

I believe a little coconut oil added to the tallow before saponification will make the lather volume increase, rather than the creamy lather you get from tallow or lard alone.

If I might ask how are you doing the milling?

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

Hi Chris: My Chemist has partnered with a soap manufacturer with a strong press.

Thanks for the insights. I need all the help I can get.
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

You've worked long and hard on this, so when you finally say it's ready, you can count on me for a purchase.

--Glenn
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

I recall a few months back when you tapped into the SMF brain trust to identify the best of the best current soap on the market. I am glad this is moving forward for you and the inital results are moving in a more positive direction this go around. Although I am anxious to try the final product, I am willing to wait for quality versus speed to market. So next week will be just fine. :D
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I'll be watching this with eager anticipation. Of course, I'll only be able to use the soap if it is available in unscented form or naturally scented. Unfortunately, I can't handle fragrances.

- Murray