Caswell-Massey shave cream

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
DavidB

Caswell-Massey shave cream

Post by DavidB »

What do you guys think about Caswell-Massey shave cream? My wife and daughters went to Capitola (near Santa Cruz, CA) for the weekend and came back with some Omega shave cream (smells like Proraso greem) -- for only $8! -- and some almond Caswell-Massey shave cream. I love Proraso, but hadn't heard too much good about CM.

This morning I tried to lather it, and try as I might, even adding more cream than I would with Trumper/Taylor/Coates/etc., I still couldn't get it to lather very well. I got a decent shave, but it was real work getting it to lather.

Anybody else have this experience? For the life of me, if CM lathers this poorly, surely somebody at the company would have asked them to change their formula. Or maybe I'm just doing something wrong.

Dave

p.s. The fact that my wife and daughters bought this cream for me was a real breakthrough. Until recently, they've been somewhat amused by my wetshaving. But the person at the store talked up wetshaving, and I think my wife/daughters are staring to think it's not just my indulgence, but possibly pretty cool.
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

DavidB,

That seems to be the general consensus about their shave cream, although I picked up a tub at Tuesday Morning for about $8 bucks, and I have had no issues with it.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
Austin
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Austin »

David, I have had the same experience with CM shave creams. I will not buy it again.
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

David,

Like Austin, I have tried all the C-M creams and I won't buy them again for the reasons you listed. Nice scents, but ......

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX
Maynard

Re: Caswell-Massey shave cream

Post by Maynard »

David, you've gotten farther than I have, as I couldn't get it to lather AT ALL!
DavidB wrote:For the life of me, if CM lathers this poorly, surely somebody at the company would have asked them to change their formula.
You know, that's exactly what I couldn't figure out. I mean, it's a very well-known company, with a long tradition. Can't they see that this thing just doesn't lather? I even looked at the package several times to see if it wasn't meant to be brushless, but it says that you're supposed to lather up with a brush. Very weird...

Maynard
reginald-van-gleason

Post by reginald-van-gleason »

David,

I have tried two CM shave creams, "Dr. Bonner" and "Almond". I have to admit that they were both samples, so I may have gotten old product. While the Almond gave me a decent shave with a wet, yet passable lather (and had a nice "Cherry Garcia"-like sweet almond scent) I found the Dr. Bonner to be a complete and total waste. No lather to speak of whatsoever... I would have had better luck shaving with toothpaste. Its too bad because the scents are different, sort of nice, and like everyone else here agrees, they are a quality American (I believe) company. Oh well.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Randy, do you mean that you've been able to get it to lather easily and well? If so, how'd you do it?

Dave
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

David, As far back on the forums as I go, I think that EVERYONE that's reported on the C-M creams had the same experiance as you. They are just not very good, and that's all there is to say about them. It's too bad, as C-M is about the only high end traditional American toiletries firm left. Doubly sad, because one member has said that up until the early 1980s, the C-M shave creams were compounded in England, and that at that time, they were as good as Trumpers.
Regards,
Gordon
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

DavidB wrote:Randy, do you mean that you've been able to get it to lather easily and well? If so, how'd you do it?

Dave
Dave,

I've used it 3, maybe 4 times. I work it like any other cream that I have. Each time I have gotten a sweet smelling almond lather that has provided a great shave. I can't recall that it was any different than Taylor's, T&H or C&E. Maybe I'm just lucky. I knew when I bought it not to expect "incredible" lather, but I loved the smell and figured that for the price, even if it took a larger amount of product, it would be worth it. So far, I use it like any other.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

I had a tub of Caswell-Massey sandalwood for a week, and I scrapped it. It was rotten to the core. Never again.

Jeff
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Hello All,

When I tried all those C-M creams last year and found none of them to my liking, I took them all back to the C-M store in west Plano. The ladies there understood my frustration and refunded my money, no questions asked. At least the customer service is very good.

But I do like their bath soap bars, talcs, body lotions, shampoos and shower gels, especially almond and sandalwood.

I held out hope for their Number Six and Newport scents, but alas, they did nothing for me, like the rest of their fragrances. It is interesting to note that C-M is stocking non-C-M items more and more.

Their shave creams smell very nice; too bad.

Cheers,
Richard
reginald-van-gleason

While the majority here seems to agree that CM creams leave a lot to be desired, how are the CM shaving soaps? Or do they not make shaving soaps?

RVG
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

RVG, On the whole, the C-M hard shave soaps haven't gotten such good reviews either.
Regards,
Gordon
FrancisDeSales

Post by FrancisDeSales »

I tried 1752 Almond the other day and it sucked! But I got a tube of Musgo Real for $8 there at the same time, and I am quite pleased by that.
"The Catholic Church is like a thick steak, a glass of red wine, and a good cigar."
[GK Chesterton].
lint

Post by lint »

I tried 1752 Almond the other day and it sucked! But I got a tube of Musgo Real for $8 there at the same time, and I am quite pleased by that.
You gotta do what I did with my C&M!

:wink:

-todd
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

reginald-van-gleason wrote:While the majority here seems to agree that CM creams leave a lot to be desired, how are the CM shaving soaps? Or do they not make shaving soaps?

RVG
When I started with soap, I used their Sandalwood in a bowl. I liked the sent, but it wouldn't lather well at all.

Scott
reginald-van-gleason

Damn... thanks guys. I was hoping C-M's shaving soaps might be better performing, as I've heard good things about their soaps in general. Ah well.

RVG
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

:( Reg, C-M is not only too expensive, but way off the mark in quality. I'd rather pay that kind of money for good stuff like DR Harris, just to give you an example on creams or Rivivage on soaps. C-M's colognes are fairly decent, however, but their creams and soaps are definitely not for me.

Jeff
stuff495

Post by stuff495 »

I have a tub of CM unscented cream. I can't get a good lather out of it, but I notice that it leaves my face very moisturized when I use it. More so then Trumpers cream or even Col. Conk soap.

I've tried adding a dollop of it to shaving soap with good results (only tried Williams so far).

--Vincent