Why do you like ...

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
harper

Why do you like ...

Post by harper »

Why do you like the shaving creams or soaps you like/use?
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

harper,
The soaps I prefer to use perform best for me. That mean quality of lather. And that means thick, slick water-logged, stable lather. I'm quite fond of hard soaps in stick form, and many of my favourites are cheap and cheery European supermarket soap sticks. Then there's scent, which is of lesser importance; I've only experienced one or two products I would wholly discount on those grounds, and usually find myself enjoying scents of good soaps via some sort of cognitive association - I actually like the scent of Arko, for instance, much to some chaps disbelief. Packaging, price and local availability are of some - but not much - importance.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

For me, it is performance, scent and "skin conditioning", in that order. Over the last year and a half, I have moved almost exclusively to soaps as my skin seems to respond better to them (maybe they wash off better).
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
brothers

Post by brothers »

I like a straightforward non-funky or perfumy fragrances, a thick rich lather with no suds or bubbles, a lather that doesn't dissipate on the brush between latherings.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I go for performance in the shave, and I don't like to spend a lot. Hey, I admit it, I'm a frugal Mainer. I don't like perfumy soaps/creams much, but I like one that I never thought I'd like. But if it didn't have the scent I'd still like it's performance. Mostly I prefer muted scent. Skin care is not really needed because I take care of that after my shave.

Louis, I actually like the scent of ARKO too, and Williams. I understand that if I like it I'm supposed to call the scent lemon verbena. I still think it smells like citronella, and to me that isn't a dirty word.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i like soaps and creams that make say WOW

later great and provide cushion and protection.

the two products that totally give me a WOW factor are MWF and Trumpers soaps and creams

WOW
marc
AFG

Post by AFG »

Performance and good lather is a must. I like a scent that is not too strong and disappears with the shave. If a product has good skin conditioning that's a plus but if not I will use a post shave product.
Al
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

For me it is the combination of all the factors. The scent of the product (I typically will smell the soap or cream before I even apply a brush to it). The process of loading the brush and developing the lather. The feel before, during, and after shaving. The effectiveness of the soap or cream in helping me acheive a close and pain free shave.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Mainly scent and quality. I wouldn't even consider using something that gave a poor shave.

Gareth
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Hmm....for me, it's the whole package/experiance. The product, first and foremost, must produce a rich lather that cuts cleanly and close but also provides a bit of cushion. Secondly, for me, the scent is important. There are a number of high end creams on the market that 'work' every bit as well as the ones I use but I don't care for their scents so I don't buy them. Then, I must admit, I am effected to some extent by the packaging and presentation. I also have a fondness for products that are historically old...that have been around for decades or longer. This is not absolutely necessary but it is a psychological plus for me if I can get it. I slightly prefer soft creams but use hard soaps frequently as well. For me, after many years of experimentation, it's products from the old established London gentlemen's purveyors that most closely meet my needs and preferences; creams and soaps from Geo. Trumpers and D R Harris's, some of the creams from T&H, and in a pinch some of the Taylor's creams. These are all I pretty much buy and re-buy these days.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

It has been almost 4 years since I got back into traditional wet shaving. Not knowing the need for a cream or soap to perform as well as it smells, I placed my emphasis on the scent rather than a balance between two.

Got lucky though. My first soap was Tabac. Great scent and performance. The same with my first creams, C&E Sweet Almond Oil, C&E Sandalwood, and C&E Sienna. Found them all to be great scents as well as performers.

Then I go out and start buying some artisan creams based more on scents than a balance between scent and performance. Sorry to say I have been somewhat disappointed. The performance is not what I have found with my C&E, Trumpers, T&H, TOBS creams.

As these artisan creams get used up I will not be reordering them. Staying with a smaller number of creams from the major makers.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

For me it is the quaity of the shave. If a cream or soap gives me a great shave that's it. Scent and lather quality are secondary - for me it is quality of the shave. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a great lather and scent but in the end it is how good a shave I get.
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good performance is my only concern and I now prefer the lighter scents.
Regards,
Squire
greyhawk

Post by greyhawk »

Good performance (quality/slickness/stability of the lather) is #1, certainly...but there are so many great performers out there that scent is definitely a major factor as well. Skin conditioning is further down the list since we can use products after the shave to augment the soaps/creams.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Good performance is my only concern and I now prefer the lighter scents.
+1

Of course I could simply say because I like them, and that would also do the trick. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

I suppose I should say *gruff manly voice* "Performance, damn it" but the truth is it's scent. And then the sort of whole psychological mish-mash of historical resonance etc. that Gordon put so well.

Where I get cross is when that historical connection is faked or overplayed. That Trumper faux-Victoriana about "his celebrated Establishment" or the more insane claims of Creed. That'll put me off.

And of course if it doesn't work. I'm not sharp enough to make fine distinctions about performance, "cushion", etc., but I do know when something doesn't work. Only happened twice, notably: once with the Knize soap, once with a Floris. Both smelt wonderful but you couldn't shave with them; they were re-born as bath soap.

So okay. I'm a girl. Label, and perfume: that's me.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Dave_D

Post by Dave_D »

A combination of performance, scent and cost for me. While performance is the main thing - glide and stability of the lather to stay on for the full pass, the scent needs to be good as well. There are so many great economic options available that one really doesnt need to dismiss one for the other.
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

99% performance.

1% all that other stuff.

Frankly, I wouldn't care if all shaving soaps were completely fragrance free and came in a brown cardboard box. As long as it works!

My face is more or less impossible. All sorts of stuff aggravate it. So I'm just happy if I can find anything that works for me.

For me, it's quite a short list of stuff that performs well AND doesn't stir up trouble for my face.

Tabac = best performer. The scent is a bit strong, but (as I said) that's almost beside the point for me, since it works so well.

D.R. Harris Almond. A close second, but I do get a bit of redness from it. Still, it's fabulous stuff, and my face can tolerate it.

Williams. The stuff isn't in the same class as the others, but (surprisingly) it's quite non-reactive for me. So I keep it around.

Most of the other top-shelf stuff (the 3 T's, Mitchell, etc.) doesn't work for me. Even though it's undoubtedly fine stuff, I can't use it.

Anyway . . . . performance, performance, performance!
nelson

Why I like what I like

Post by nelson »

I'm primarily a cream user. Performance-slickness, cushion, and latherability-is my first criterion. Scent is no. 2. Perceived value is the third criterion. In my experience these criteria are not mutually exclusive. Broadly speaking, my favorites are Trumper rose, lime, almond, and coconut, and ToOBS Mr. Taylor and Sandalwood. Although I occasionally use and enjoy Musgo Real and Omega, I'm not all that fond of any T&H cream I've tried. Early on I enjoyed using DR Harris Arlington, but the reformulation of Arlington several years ago was disastrous and I won't buy it again. Roughly 2 years ago after reading posts on this board I bought a tube of DR Harris almond. Although the scent was very nice, I couldn't get it to make a good lather, so for now all all Harris creams are off limits. I like the Green Pond cream, which was made by/for Harris, but all 3 tubs I've used are clearly pre-reformulation and have been just fine.

nelson
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I use soaps exclusively and my choices are rather severely limited by a sensitivity I have developed over the last twenty years, or so, to fragrances. For me, a soap has to be unscented, scented with EO (but not too strongly), or have a very mild, inoffensive fragrance.

As such, my favorites are the Valobra Shave Stick grated up and mashed into a covered Pyrex dish, Art of Shaving Unscented, and Cella soft soap. These are all fine tallow-based Italian soaps. Valobra sticks vary quite a bit in their intensity of fragrance, so I'll occasionally unwrap one and leave it out in the garage for a month or two, for the fragrance to dissipate.

I have some Art of Shaving Lavender soap, but even though it's done with EO I find it very strongly scented. Too much scent, for me, is like being bombarded with noise. I like it quiet. 8)

- Murray