Queen Charlotte Tangerine sample and mini review

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Short Round

Queen Charlotte Tangerine sample and mini review

Post by Short Round »

I broke open a half ounce sample I got on sale with my holiday Queen Charlotte order.

I figured I'd share my impressions with the Tangerine Cream.

Color is a pale orange yellow. The scent from the cup is kind of a cross between fresh orange juice and aging orange peel zest. I lathered up with my badger in a wide bowl and used a fair amount of water to make the right proportion. It didn't take all that much cream to get plenty of lather. It felt nice and thick going on. I float my lather bowl in a sinkful of hot water and sometimes have issues with the lather drying while I shave. This lather was pretty resistant to that.

The cusion was very very good but I've only tried about a half dozen creams. The slickness was also good, almost a very good. I'm not taking credit for the perfect lather mix, I think this is just a nice easy to lather cream. I actually tried to overlather it and stopped when I got tired of that. I shaved with my Ikon razor with a Personna Lab blade which is only an average sharpeness. I think this lather would stand up well to the straight razor. I'll do that Saturday I think.

One note, the scent of the Tangerine Cream when lathered takes on a more industrial scent than when scented right out of the cup. As far as the scent goes, it's only fair and mildly interesting, I like limes and lemons but orange I guess is a take it or leave it affair. I think I'd sample their other creams before I'd come back to this one. I don't hate it or find it overpowering or anything, it's just not a wow scent.

Oh for the ingredients curious; water, saponified stearic acid, glycerin, saponified tallow, palm oil, olive oil, and coconut oil, aloe vera extract, essential oils, kaolin clay, phenoxyethanol and caprylyl gylcol, vit E.

OK, that's my first cream mini review.

Cheers!
Tom
drumana

Post by drumana »

Nice review. I got a sample of the QCS Tangerine with an order, and didn't care for the scent. More of a personal preference thing here - I don't like sweet, fruity scents. All the QCS products I've tried perform great, though.
-Andrew-
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

I have this in QCS hard soap. I really like the scent and performance.
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

I've tried the QCS Tangerine in the hard soap and think that it would be a fun soap for the warmer months (though I'd have to be dragged kicking and screaming from the QCS Lavender soap !) :D
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
greyhawk

Post by greyhawk »

Thanks for the nice review, Tom.
I have a couple of QCS creams and they are of excellent quality. My only quibble is that they are kind of "hard"--I snurdle some out with a spoon (either onto a brush or into a bowl/scuttle) and it's hard to get it to dissolve into lather. I wish it were a softer cream.
celestino

Post by celestino »

Thanks for the info on the soap!