Glycerin delight!

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Araner

Glycerin delight!

Post by Araner »

Not long ago I picked up some Col. Conk soaps because I was feeling a little nostalgic and wanted to relive my early wet shaving experiences. While these are not tip top performers when compared to the Palmolive shave stick or D.R. Harris hard soap they are pretty good and smell great. Well, soon I started getting the urge to try some other glycerin soaps just to enjoy the great scents. First up I bought some Mamabear soaps in Lime, Gingerbread, Ice Lime and Spicy Lime; man do these smell fantastic and perform rather well too. Now, with my inner glycerin child in overdrive I got some Honey Bee Sue soaps in Violet and Coconut – yowzawahoo! Terrific scents! I’m out of control now, I have more soaps on order from Straight Razor Designs (Sandalwood) and from QED (Rose Geranium and Fresh Lime).

I haven’t abandoned the more traditional soaps but I am having a blast with these exotic smelling glycerin jobbers. While they might not be everyone’s cuppa, for the price they sure are a great diversion to brighten up the old soap rotation.

Mike
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

As a lover of variety I can appreciate your current glycerin soap binge. I don't think I'll ever be a one soap, one blade, one razor, one brush guy. There are just so many great choices to experience.
Rich
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The prices are good and the scents are great. I used to make my own by melting the standard Van der Hagen and adding cologne.
Regards,
Squire
ScottB

Post by ScottB »

How do you like the QED Rose Geranium Mike?

I've got the Fresh Lime and really like it. Was thinking of getting the Rose Geranium. Can you recommend it?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I have a lot of respect for the makers of the glycerine soaps. They offer a far wider variety of great fragrances, and some of the more successful ones have fine-tuned their recipes to deliver a form of lather that does perform well enough to keep the customers coming back for more. I've been stung a couple of times getting ones that smell great but just have nothing to offer in terms of usable shaving lather.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Araner

Post by Araner »

ScottB wrote:How do you like the QED Rose Geranium Mike?

I've got the Fresh Lime and really like it. Was thinking of getting the Rose Geranium. Can you recommend it?
Scott, the Rose Geranium is pretty good stuff. It smells very much like Rose and Geranium and it’s a pronounced smell but stops short of being a belligerent in your face type of fragrance. I used it this morning and it made me feel like it was a beautiful spring morning. As far as the lather goes, IMO the QED soaps are all great lathering soaps. Anyway, if I had to describe this soap in one word I'd say it was "classy". So, if you like glycerin soaps and the smell of Rose Geranium, I’d say give it a shot.

Mike
mikey

Post by mikey »

IMO, QED Lime and Sandalwood are the best glycerin shaving soaps.

Thanks,
Mike
vpayne

Post by vpayne »

I'M SURE THESE POSTS HELP MANY MEMBERS/READERS SAVE TIME AND MONEY. SURE HELPS ME AND IS MUCH APPRECIATED. 21 POSTS TO GO….