Trumper's Sandalwood Hard Soap. It Shall Return.

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Trumper's Sandalwood Hard Soap. It Shall Return.

Post by M6Classic »

I received a message from Trumper's in London, that they expect the sandalwood hard soap to again be available in May...I preseume May, 2012...and that e-mail registrants will be notified. In any case, I am assured It Shall Return.

Buzz
ghart

Post by ghart »

That's good, but in what form, one may ask…

George
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

ghart wrote:That's good, but in what form, one may ask…

George
In how many forms does hard soap come? I was thinking it would be circular pucks with a flat top and a rounded bottom, but I could be wrong about that. They used to be wrapped in tissue, but I have heard that more recenmtly they have been shrink-wrapped.

Buzz
offshoot

Post by offshoot »

M6Classic wrote:In how many forms does hard soap come? I was thinking it would be circular pucks with a flat top and a rounded bottom, but I could be wrong about that. They used to be wrapped in tissue, but I have heard that more recenmtly they have been shrink-wrapped.
:lol:
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

There's time for about three more reformulations before my stock runs out.... :P

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

drmoss_ca wrote:There's time for about three more reformulations before my stock runs out.... :P

Chris
Yeah, I do worry about that, Chris. I am down to my last six pucks of Twentieth Century Trumper's sandalwood and I am not happy about having to adapt to anything new. I wish I had your generous foresight so many years ago!

Buzz
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

and the Coconut Oil.....?
Ron
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

drmoss_ca wrote:There's time for about three more reformulations before my stock runs out.... :P

Chris
+1
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Buzz, Well, this should be interesting if you have not had to deal with any of the classic shave soaps made since the beginning of this century. You have serenely floated above all the maddening reformulations and discontinuations that most of the rest of us have had to cope with....EXCEPT that newer Floris No 89 number....ah yes..remember that one?....not so good...no... . FWIW, I've found the recent Trumper hard shave soaps still to be very good, if not quite the equal of what they were in the 90s. Still, there are some disquieting signs; their most recent offering, the Eucris shave soap was not the same, nor was it very good in most member's opinion. I certainly hope they are not planning on bringing out new lots of their classic soaps in that formula. Because if they do, you might be hunting for a D R Harris's scent that you like....sigh.
Regards,
Gordon
Last edited by bernards66 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

How good it is to hear from you, Gordon! I will never, never, never, ever try No. 89 again. Yet, I have taken that vow before, haven't I? If the new expression of Trumper's sandalwood is truly deficient, my fall-back position is for the first time to follow my son's advice and try the TOBS St James's line. The young women at his school...and his mother...seem to like the scent and he certainly likes the shave. That said, I might still outlive my stash of Twentieth Century sandalwood...who knows? Finally, I still have that one puck of thirty-five-year-old No. 89, too...

Buzz
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Buzz, Yes, well...you DO still have some reserves. But if push comes to shove and you're compelled to move to the classic creams, things could be worse ( hell, I actually prefer them by a slim margin ). However, if that should come to pass I doubt that the Taylor's St. James's scent would much appeal to your sensibilities. It is Taylor's newest scent and is of that psuedo 'marine' type that personally I can't stand....much like the scent of many mass market shampoos these days IMO. No, one of the more classic creams, T&H Rose, Trumpers Sandalwood, etc. might be more your speed. Let us know how all this plays out if and when.
Regards,
Gordon
Ken

Post by Ken »

Buzz,

I know you are a creature of habit, but perhaps the universe is telling you that now is the time to branch out and try new things--well, shave soaps at least: a new brush for you is obviously out of the question. I have long felt that the two best shave soaps were AOS and D.R. Harris. I like Trumper's soap (and currently have the Rose and the Limes), but AOS and Harris are, in my view, a tad better. You might give them a try while waiting for the unlikely comeback of Floris 89.

Ken
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

Ken wrote:Buzz,

I know you are a creature of habit, but perhaps the universe is telling you that now is the time to branch out and try new things--well, shave soaps at least: a new brush for you is obviously out of the question. I have long felt that the two best shave soaps were AOS and D.R. Harris. I like Trumper's soap (and currently have the Rose and the Limes), but AOS and Harris are, in my view, a tad better. You might give them a try while waiting for the unlikely comeback of Floris 89.

Ken
Greetings, Ken! (and I know that I owe you a note from long ago).

I suppose I should prepare myself for the inevitable disappointment of a reformulated Trumper's sandalwood. If the weather is fine today, I'll take your advice and stroll down to Colonial and pick up a D.R. Harris or two. Regarding the Floris No. 89, I have decided that it is God's punishment for that little incident with the golden calf and my son and grandson-yet-unborn will be punished, too, unto every generation. Or, maybe God's punishment is for us to drink Manischewitz wine (oy!).

Buzz
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Wonderful news.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
M6Classic

Post by M6Classic »

jww wrote:Wonderful news.
About the sandalwood or about the Manishewitz?

Buzz
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

M6Classic wrote:
jww wrote:Wonderful news.
About the sandalwood or about the Manishewitz?

Buzz
Yes. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?