Palmolive European Stick (secret?)

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Palmolive European Stick (secret?)

Post by brothers »

The other day as I was looking at the rich, creamy, velvety Palmolive lather, it occurred to me that it was identical to another soap I had lathered just the day before. Here's my personal opinion: nobody knows the ingredient list/recipe that was used in Yardley soap; I think Palmolive is the same soap, based on the look and performance of both. Aside from the color and the mild fragrance, they could be fraternal twins. The more I think about it, the more I suspect it's true.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

Palmolive, made in Deutschland. Yardley was made in the factory that was until recently still making Trumpers, TOBS soaps etc, and is now closed down.

Palmolive lathers a bit like Tabac. I wish I liked it more, as its virtually free here (£0.48/stick).
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Along with Erasmic and Arko, Palmolive is one of my top choices in the value category.
Regards,
Squire
malocchio

palmolive

Post by malocchio »

haven't tried the german stick yet,but I get great lather with the Palmolive Australian stick,and the scent is nice as well.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I first purchased Palmolive stick at the Tesco in Bury, Lancs. I purchased it because it was so cheap -- and figured worst case scenario, I was spending so little, it was a risk worth taking. Of course, I discovered upon use that in fact it was an unbelievably great product.

I now stock up on a few sticks every time I am in the UK. Unfortunately, that was last in 2007, so I am now down to my final stick ---- gonna have to replenish soon.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
crackstar

Re: palmolive

Post by crackstar »

malocchio wrote:haven't tried the german stick yet,but I get great lather with the Palmolive Australian stick,and the scent is nice as well.
I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same item! :lol:
JEFF
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

I have about 200 of these little gems stockpiled.

Well, at £0.49 a stick ... that's $0.80 ... it'd be rude not to.

I suppose to us Brits it's like Williams is to US shavers ... 'cept Palmolive actually works.

:)
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

joe mcclaine wrote:I have about 200 of these little gems stockpiled.

I suppose to us Brits it's like Williams is to US shavers ... 'cept Palmolive actually works.

Wowwwwwww - 200 sticks! That's almost have of all my total soaps and creams! :) Good job! :D
JEFF
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Mmmmm, Palmolive, smells just like a laundry dryer sheet! I mean that in a good way because I do like the scent. Lather is very good to excellent for me. Can't use it too many days in a row though due to the glycerin content.

Is it the same soap as Yardley? Not to me, but it's nearly as good in performance so it doesn't matter, really. I find Yardley to be a slicker soap. The only soap that I've personally found that makes a similar slick yet very protective lather is the old formula Taylor's. YMMV.

Chris
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have never really been a fan of Williams -- not sure why -- perhaps it's my anglophilia kicking in. :wink:
Wendell

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Wendell the Fat is causing you to block certain things.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Wendell the Fat is causing you to block certain things.
We have talked a great deal in the past here about the wonderfully protective qualities of lanolin. :wink:
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

It is a well-kept secret that Clark Kent's Red and Blue full body tights and cape (his Superman suit) was wool fabric thoroughly imbedded throughout with Mitchell's. This caused him to repel objects directed at him, and to be able to fly. This wonderful fragrance was one of several reasons (some of which are unprintable) Lois Lane and all the other females of that time found him to be so attractive. He never took off the tights, according to legend, except of course, when someone like Lois might have ripped it off him behind closed doors. One can only suppose these things. He had made up the Krypton story of his origin to help keep his secret so none of the other men would learn how to knock locomotives off the tracks, and to pick up girls.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

You see gents, Gary has cracked the code for us now.

That's right --- lanolin -- that be-all, do-all substance. The key ingredient to Shimmer ..... so I have been told.

[img]http://plant_doctor.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/shimmer.jpg[/img]
Wendell

brothers

Post by brothers »

In doing the research I met an old maid in a distant land who had met him once in a beer joint. She said to him "sir, what is that wonderful fragrance?". He leaned forward, smiled sweetly, and spoke quietly as he said "that's the lanolin in my underwear. Do you want to sniff it again?" She blushed furiously as she shared her secret, and politely declined to comment further. I think she was telling the truth.
Gary

crackstar

Post by crackstar »

jww wrote:I first purchased Palmolive stick at the Tesco in Bury, Lancs. I purchased it because it was so cheap -- and figured worst case scenario, I was spending so little, it was a risk worth taking. Of course, I discovered upon use that in fact it was an unbelievably great product.

I now stock up on a few sticks every time I am in the UK. Unfortunately, that was last in 2007, so I am now down to my final stick ---- gonna have to replenish soon.
Wonderful stuff!
JEFF
brothers

Post by brothers »

Vinny, you're right about that. If I had a choice, and I guess I do, I'd rather have even 1 stick of Palmolive than any other number of Williams, based on the comparative performance of the two soaps. Palmolive, I've got a few, Williams, not even one.
Gary

DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Several years ago, I had a Palmolive stick that I grated and pressed into a tub. The lather I got from it was frankly a bit gummy. I stopped using it and eventually tossed it. Looking back, it was probably my (lousy) technique. Maybe I should have used more water. I do recall liking the scent a lot.

Advice?
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Palmolive and Speick both get a bit gummy with too little water. Haslinger, too (another great performer). I have never had the problem of too much water with Palmolive lather (or Speick). It's pretty foolproof on that side of things, but it can seem gummy and slimy if it's not wet enough. Odd function of that trio of soaps, now that you mention it. Never encountered that with any other products. It's a very specific, snotty texture.

Anyway, I do recommend giving Palmolive another shot. Speick, too. Haslinger if you can find a scent from them you like (they need a lavender or rose or a woodier sandalwood).
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Dittos what Tim wrote about giving it another try.

You want advice?

If you bowl lather try face lathering. It gives instant feedback as to lather quality. One last suggestion, practice with them before committing your face. Yes, I know you're probably not a noob, but practice before committing the lather to a shave pays huge dividends IMO. I do that with every soap/croap/cream and every new brush before they get anywhere near my face. I never have any negative surprises.

I regularly face lather palmolive and speick sticks grated into tubs and they are fantastic soaps out of a tub. For that matter, ALL of my sticks have been grated into tubs and they all perform wonderfully, from ARKO to the highest priced stick.

Good luck!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square