Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood Shaving Soap?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Squire wrote:Aw the Hell with it. I'm stocking up on Harris Almond and MWF.
+1
Eric
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

cvac wrote:
gruffydd3 wrote:
The Cyril Salter soap I bought a few months ago was excellent. It's sad to hear another product has gone downhill.

Regards,
Rick
Rick, where did you buy it from? It's possible your puck might have been from an older lot/run or what I got was from a really bad newer batch. Since Salter doesn't really package their soap with any kind of information I think it would be very difficult to isolate the "bad" pucks from "good" ones but I am just curious.
I can't remember for certain, but I think it was either Bullgoose or Classic Shaving.

Regards,
Rick
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Squire wrote:Aw the Hell with it. I'm stocking up on Harris Almond and MWF.
Have to agree with you Squire. :lol:
For the price, don't forget the fantastic Razorock soaps/creams.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I like Razorock Bruno but for long term storage I rely on hard soaps.
Regards,
Squire
paddy

Post by paddy »

i have to say that i am not really that impressed with dr harris almond soap at all. it's distinctly average in my book. there are a number of other dr harris products, particularly their aftershaves, which i think are top notch, but their shaving soap is just meh.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

cvac, Those are some pretty depressing reviews, and to think, for several years all the 'soap guys' here were quite smug because THEY didn't have to worry about all the re-formulations and variations that us 'cream guys' were always moaning about ( chuckle ). Apparently the shoe's now on the other foot. I feared that there might be trouble ahead vis a vis the Trumper soaps because of the type of negative reviews we got about their recently lauched Eucris soap. The things members were saying were unsettlingly similiar to how I had experianced that useless Floris No 89 re-issue or the test samples I'd tried of cologne scented T&H soaps. Whoever is actually manufactoring these soaps doesn't seem to have a clue what they're doing and it's difficult to understand how firms like Trumper, T&H, or Floris think they can successfully sell such stuff to customers who have, in most cases, used their older and WAY better shave soaps. I'm personally especially bummed to read your review of the Trumpers Rose as that is one of my two favourite hard shaving soaps and I'm very fond of a couple of their other ones as well. Now I'd be reluctant to even chance a refill cake ( and poor Clive is going to FREAK! )....sigh....what a mess.
Regards,
Gordon
cvac

Post by cvac »

Gordon,

I think a lot of us out there are frustrated with the UK brands' shaving soaps. At least Harris and TOBS are still making soaps that do what they're supposed to do.

Why the other brands don't want to invest in proper user testing and batch testing I can't say. It really is perplexing.

On the Sandalwood front, I have a puck of Nanny's Hard Soap in Sandalwood en route. I hope the performance is as good as her soft soaps.
brothers

Post by brothers »

paddy wrote:i have to say that i am not really that impressed with dr harris almond soap at all. it's distinctly average in my book. there are a number of other dr harris products, particularly their aftershaves, which i think are top notch, but their shaving soap is just meh.
Paddy, I respect your opinion. I was frustrated, but once I learned from trial and error how to make the Harris soaps come to life (same thing that happened with MWF) I've been experiencing one of the best soap lathers I ever hoped for. In my particular case it's in the water and product mix. I had to write it down when I finally got it right, so I wouldn't forget it, and now I'm good to go. When I write something down, I've got a learning tool I've discovered works well for me,

:lol: Just to make sure I've expressed myself well, it has only two steps, and is the most natural process, but I tend to make stuff complicated for no reason whatsoever. So what I wrote down is laughable, but by golly it works and it's so simple I can't believe it works!
Last edited by brothers on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
cvac

Post by cvac »

I have pucks of Arlington, Lavender, and Marlborough, as well as the Almond stick. All of them lather up with ease, with very little thinking or effort on my part. Maybe I just got lucky or my lather technique is well suited to Harris soaps or something...not sure....but I have definitely used other soaps that require more effort to lather and give worse overall shaves. The Harris soaps are top tier, IMHO and I'm sorry I waited so long to give them a try.
petr

bath

Post by petr »

I got the "refill pucks" in the mail today. It's bath soap. It appears that I saw the front picture and assumed it was the shave soap. T&H was very gracious in offering an exchange.
Last edited by petr on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
petr

Post by petr »

sandalwood shave soap will be available Aug 2012 per TH
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

brothers wrote: I learned from trial and error how to make the Harris soaps come to life (same thing that happened with MWF) I've been experiencing one of the best soap lathers I ever hoped for. In my particular case it's in the water and product mix. I had to write it down when I finally got it right, so I wouldn't forget it, and now I'm good to go. When I write something down, I've got a learning tool I've discovered works well for me,

:lol: Just to make sure I've expressed myself well, it has only two steps, and is the most natural process, but I tend to make stuff complicated for no reason whatsoever. So what I wrote down is laughable, but by golly it works and it's so simple I can't believe it works!
Gary, would you be willing to share your magical process for Harris soaps? They have been notoriously hard for me (no pun intended).

BTW, I find that oftentimes once I write something down, the act of writing seems to put the info into my brain so that I can often throw away the written note and still remember. At my age, that is refreshing!!
brothers

Re: bath

Post by brothers »

petr wrote:I got the "refill pucks" in the mail today. It's bath soap. It appears that I saw the front picture and assumed it was the shave soap. T&H was very gracious in offering an exchange.
A couple of weeks ago, when I checked their website, it actually did show a listing for the Luxury Sandalwood Shaving Soap Refill. Somebody, whoever dummied up the photo that now shows the Sandalwood Shaving Soap in the wooden bowl, probably accidentally posted the dummied up (for future use only) photo of the refill listed in stock and for sale, when they shouldn't have. It was definitely there at that time. Obviously it's not there now. I'm glad to hear they handled the situation promptly, and made it right for you.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444