My brother-in-law can't take it!

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
crackstar

My brother-in-law can't take it!

Post by crackstar »

Dear friends, this past Sunday, my brother-in-law came over here and he brought his Omega Silver Tip and Lord Super razor, loaded with a new Derby blade. I wanted to give him a few creams and soaps which I have some spares of, and he happened to be in my bathroom, and he sniffed my QCS Vostok cream which I bought recently. He asked me if he can try a shave with it, and I said "sure, go right ahead!" Well, the young man soaked his face with hot water, wet his brush, lathered himself up, and guess what - he couldn't even finish his first WTG pass! He said that the menthol power of this cream was so overwhelming and so unbearable for him that he just could not shave with it. He rinsed his face with hot water to try to break up the menthol cooling, but he said that even so he could still feel it, and he had to wait about 20 minutes before it was finally gone. He rinsed his face again with hot water and relathered with Euro Palmolive Classic cream and finished his shave. Guys, the bottom line is, there are guys who are just not able to handle such powerful menthol from stuff like Vostok, Iced Subzero, Palmolive Menthol, or Godrej Menthol Mist. He'll never post a Menthol Monday Shave!
JEFF
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

I sympathise and have a mild aversion to menthol products generally - just a weird sensation :?
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
Persius

Post by Persius »

LouisIII wrote:I sympathise and have a mild aversion to menthol products generally - just a weird sensation :?
+1
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

There are few who can handle the Menthol that those in the Brotherhood can, Jeff. Count yourself proud to be among such elite company. 8)
Jason

Post by Sargon »

I wouldn't generally add anything that powerfully mentholated to my rotation, either. I enjoy Poraso, but I wouldn't want anything appreciably stronger. I actually had some Osage Rub, and it was too much for my tastes. I wasn't as bad as your brother in law, though.
:lol:
Shavetools.com Traditional products for modern wet shavers: Vie-Long brushes, Merkur razors, and more.
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Proraso green is my personal speed limit when it comes to menthol, those that subscribe to the freeze my face school are just plain wacky IMHO. :lol:
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Baloosh wrote:There are few who can handle the Menthol that those in the Brotherhood can, Jeff. Count yourself proud to be among such elite company. 8)
I do, Jason! :lol:
JEFF
nelson

Post by nelson »

Sargon wrote:I wouldn't generally add anything that powerfully mentholated to my rotation, either. I enjoy Poraso, but I wouldn't want anything appreciably stronger. I actually had some Osage Rub, and it was too much for my tastes. I wasn't as bad as your brother in law, though.
:lol:
I have no experience with Osage Rub, but I'm with you on Proraso(actually, more frequently Omega in recent years, which I find to be functionally equivalent and a bit cheaper).