DR Harris Windsor

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Persius

DR Harris Windsor

Post by Persius »

According to their Facebook page, the Windsor range is in Store now.
Persius

Post by Persius »

Images etc also available on Twitter: @DRHarrisLondon.
Pgg365247

Post by Pgg365247 »

I can't wait to hear some feedback and eventually pick some up.
- Brent

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."- Thucydides
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Yes, really looking forward to this new range, especially the shaving soap. Great news.

Max
brothers

Post by brothers »

This is good news. Now to find out what it smells like, and if/when they'll offer a shaving soap.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Persius

Post by Persius »

My order is going in the post on Monday.

The news is that there IS going to be a soap, it is just going through stability testing at the moment, and there is also going to be an AS milk.

Because you all want to know what it is like (the lady was VERY pleased to hear of all the interest), I'm getting a few samples of cologne etc, so I'll let you know what it is like as soon as I get a chance.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ah!....excellent!...do, indeed, let us know. Glad to hear that you're right on the case.
Regards,
Gordon
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I'm looking forward to the reviews.
_______
John
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Love to know what the cream is like....
John
Persius

Post by Persius »

Guess what just arrived? Well, I paid for a £3 sample of shave cream, and got a whole tube of shave cream. That's what I call customer service! I also have 3 sachets of the cologne ...

... I'll give the cream a test run tonight, but first impressions of a lathering in bowl suggests that it performs just like Harris' other creams (in my hands), and has a scent pretty much as described on their website. There is a bright citrus top note as you first start to lather up, which seems to fade out pretty quickly, followed by a leathery / woody tone. It is much lighter than the Malborough, and a little heavier than the Arlington. It has left a clean, soapy smell on my hands, which has already persisted for 20 minutes or so (I used the lather to wash my hands as I didn't have the time to shave right now). As I type the perfume is changing from soapy to the more leathery note. I think you gents might like this.

SWMBO says that is is quite manly FWIW.

Chaps, here are thoughts after first use.

The base-note, leathery decent held up on my hands all the way through a 5km run, but not in an unpleasant, cloying way; it was pretty pleasant. I endured, in total, for well over an hour.

When I face lathered, the citrus note was much richer than it was in the bowl. I thought that I detected an orange hint as well as lemon, although I'd like to check that out next time. It was surprisingly pleasant.

The lather is as good on the face as it was in the bowl, so no issues there (for me; and we have super hard water here). The leathery note soon comes into play as you shave, and definitely holds up throughout the shave.

As I have been walking around the kitchen preparing supper, I have noticed that the shave cream base-note cuts right through the scent of the Harris pink milk that I used as my ASB.

I think it is a keeper.

Edit: Looking at the back of the cologne packet, the scent makes much more sense: Sweet orange peel extract, nutmeg, black pepper, elemi, geranium, patchouli, vetiver.
Last edited by Persius on Wed May 16, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Persius, thanks for a great description. After reading your take on it, I'm going to make a point to try it when I can. Something between Arlington and Marlborough with citrus and leather and woods mixed in sounds good to me. It was our good fortune that you were able to get hold of the first tube and that you gave us such a thorough description. Well done! Enjoy your tube!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Persius how long did the scent linger post shave?
Regards,
Squire
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Intriguing. I'll have to see if I can get a sample of the cologne one of these days.

Chris
Persius

Post by Persius »

Squire wrote:Persius how long did the scent linger post shave?
Squire: I would say about an hour plus (for me). SWMBO could smell it a long after that.

I'll report back after I have used it for a morning shave.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes....well done! Thanks for taking the time for a thorough 'review'. It does sound interesting. I'm generally not one for pepper other than on my food but there are a few exceptions. Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to check it out in the near future and am looking forward to Chris' take on the cologne once he gets some.
Regards,
Gordon
celar36

Post by celar36 »

I like citrus smell after I used the Polish cream Lider classic might buy tomorrow Windsor one :D I will see all of them tomorrow might just buy samples as you said early:)

Ths Persius
Jack
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Well, I just couldn't wait for the reviews, so I went ahead and ordered some Windsor shaving cream and aftershave from Connaught. And how many times have I said I have plenty of soaps and creams....
_______
John
Dale

Post by Dale »

John, I just did the same thing yesterday. And I have been saying the same thing for the last few years. :)
Regards,
Dale
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

Per Harris my sample(s) are on the way.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm curious to learn what you guys think of the smell of it. I'm not going to buy Windsor until the soap comes out, and then only if it's the same as the other soaps.
Gary