The Hard water blues

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Jupiter

The Hard water blues

Post by Jupiter »

Well...We've got *very* hard water in Southern Ontario, which makes it challenging to get a good lather from hard soaps. I could use distilled I suppose, but I don't know if I want the hassle. Some soaps work better than others, any thoughts?
So far I've found that Tabac and Arko work well. Drh is not too bad.
I wish my Trumpers soaps worked better!

Would you guys recommend AOS Sandalwood or Speick?
Because of the hard water, I find it easier to make a usable lather with a bowl.
Any face latherers in Hard water country?

Mike
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Using more soap/cream should offset this. Shave sticks should work especially well because you end up with more soap on your face.

Or, like humans do so very well, you could modify nature to better suit your needs by getting a water softener.
Richard
harper

Post by harper »

Creams work better in hard water than soaps.
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

I find face lathering pretty unsatisfying with my rock hard water, as well, and only do it when I travel. Creams and soft soaps are easy. hard soaps are viable, but I load, work lather in the bowl a bit, and reload the brush to try and get enough.
Shavetools.com Traditional products for modern wet shavers: Vie-Long brushes, Merkur razors, and more.
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

I used a Valobra stick today with great success. I spent a little more time face lathering and got a great lather.

Mike
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Creams seem to work ok. The only one I have right now is an old tube of Proraso, I should order the new Sandalwood scented one sometime.

Mike