Proraso Sandalwood shaving cream review

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
crackstar

Proraso Sandalwood shaving cream review

Post by crackstar »

I'm sure that the majority of traditional wetshavers have tried, or at least heard of Proraso cream or soap. For most of us, Proraso brings to mind a strongly-scented eucalyptus and menthol shaving item with great lather and good beard-softening features. WELL, guess what - recently Ludovico Martelli, the manufacturer of Proraso released a brand-new version with a lovely sandalwood scent that has the same great lather and awesome skincare, and is made without even a drop of menthol or eucalyptus so there isn't even the slightest hint of a cooling sensation. Let me tell you beautiful people about it!

Ease of lathering: 10/10-- A little cream on a wet brush, and BINGO! Rich lather.

Longevity of lather: 10/10--Purrrrrrrrrr-fect! Stable, stable, stable!

General skincare: 9/10--Moisturizing and very soothing. Great post-shave feeling.

Scent: 9/10--Brilliant. Classy and elegant. Sandalwood in a deep way.

Price: 8/10--Fendrihan's sells it for 9,95$ CAD. Reasonable, yes?

Would I buy again: 10/10--Absolutely. It is a wonderful cream.

For anyone with a tough beard and sensitive skin like myself, this cream is a dream come true. Although I am a fanatic menthol lover, this cream is one which I would buy repeatedly even though it has none, because it is so nicely-scented, it lathers so well, (just a little cream is needed!) and it protects my skin against dryness and razor burn, and it has such a soothing and relaxing effect, not to mention the great blade glide! It's also readily available here in Canada.

JEFF
jww
Woolly Bully

Re: Proraso Sandalwood shaving cream review

Post by jww »

crackstar wrote:.... It's also readily available here in Canada.

Do tell where you were able to procure this cream from????
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
greyhawk

Re: Proraso Sandalwood shaving cream review

Post by greyhawk »

crackstar wrote:.... It's also readily available here in Canada.
jww wrote:Do tell where you were able to procure this cream from????
crackstar wrote:Price: 8/10--Fendrihan's sells it for 9,95$ CAD.
Italian Barber also stocks it.
Dale

Post by Dale »

I just ordered some from Connaughtshaving.com
Regards,
Dale
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

west coast shaving
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Araner

Post by Araner »

I gave this stuff a spin yesterday and was quite impressed. Great lather, my razor glided and cut with great ease and afterwards my face felt smooth and irritation free. I think I'll give my soaps a rest and stick with this cream for a while.

Mike
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

I gotta get me some :D
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

One tube, and some other goodies, on the way. I hope I can still shave when I am 90.
Last edited by a-cut-above on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

a-cut-above wrote:One tube, and some other goodies, on the way. I hope I can still shave I am 90.
I wish you to live to a hundred and twenty, in good health, and with good friends and family!
JEFF
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Does this new Proraso come with the same easily-breakable cap the old Proraso came with?
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

crackstar wrote:
a-cut-above wrote:One tube, and some other goodies, on the way. I hope I can still shave I am 90.
I wish you to live to a hundred and twenty, in good health, and with good friends and family!
Thank you. I have enough shaving supplies to last that long. :D
Dave

"Sanity is a madness put to good use." - George Santayana (…like a wet shaver with an acquisition disorder.)
Gweezemeister

Post by Gweezemeister »

Jeff,

When you say readily available are you saying these NEW Proraso creams are now at the Pharmaprix/Shopper's Drug Mart? I have yet to see them.

Andy
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Gweezemeister wrote:Jeff,

When you say readily available are you saying these NEW Proraso creams are now at the Pharmaprix/Shopper's Drug Mart? I have yet to see them.

Andy
Hey Andy!

I owe everyone an apology about "readily available here in Canada". It (the Sandalwood cream) is available at Fendrihan's. The new Green cream is available at Jean Coutu and Pharmaprix. :)
JEFF
Gweezemeister

Post by Gweezemeister »

Will try to find the new green locally. Great review as always Jeff.
Andy
a-cut-above

Post by a-cut-above »

Jeff,
You have a PM.
Dave

Araner

Post by Araner »

I have been using Proraso Sandalwood exclusively for over a week and I am quite impressed. I am especially pleased with the way my face feels after the shave – no irritation, no tightness, just soft and supple like a baby’s you no what!

Mike
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i haven't shaved with the recently received sandalwood but the fragrance is very good.
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer
Darkwolf

Post by Darkwolf »

GA Russell wrote:Does this new Proraso come with the same easily-breakable cap the old Proraso came with?
Unfortunately yes.
Jim

Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.
Mark Twain
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I decided to not include the new Proraso sandalwood in my recent orders for supplies - opting rather to wait until the cooler weather, because I rarely use sandalwood in the summer -- it's more a cooler weather fragrance for me. So -- I'll grab some of this stuff sometime in the fall. It does sound like a product with promise, though. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

now that i've used the new proraso sandalwood a few times i've come to the following conclusion. the scent is fantastic! just what a sandalwood should be. but i have noticed a great reduction in cushion compared to the old proraso green. anyone else have this problem?
Gil
iridium ,blue IP
dirty bird
and a prayer