Shaving creams - Cancer link?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
blakeas

Shaving creams - Cancer link?

Post by blakeas »

I was just about to order my taylor old bond sandalwood shaving cream from amazon - I looked at a review and saw someone talk about the ingredients there might have a cancer link? WTF?

Does GEO Trumpers have the same thing?
druphus

Post by druphus »

Everything has a cancer link starting with the sugar you put in your coffee/tea!
Regards,
Andy
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

druphus wrote:Everything has a cancer link starting with the sugar you put in your coffee/tea!
Very true indeed.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

With that little tidbit of almost no information I'd do exactly nothing.

So much isn't said.

Who wrote it? A competitor or someone with an axe to grind? Does the writer actually know anything? Where is the documentation or somewhere that I can go to corroborate or debunk the info?

Try not to eat it and don't use it rectally and you should be good. If there's more info or if the reviewer actually knows something, then maybe consider it.

Or, If he named the ingredient, just plug it into Google and see what you find.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

Oh my goodness............ :-B
JEFF
brothers

Re: Shaving creams - Cancer link?

Post by brothers »

blakeas wrote: Does GEO Trumpers have the same thing?
Exactly what same "thing" is that? Don't believe everything! :wink:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
blakeas

Post by blakeas »

Triethanolamine which is linked to cancer and a ingredient - I cant find the review now on amazon. Maybe they took it off? as long as it was just a stupid comment. need to get another cream. been using taylor old bond and now I want geo trumpers - Any other suggestions? been using the sandalwood
brothers

Post by brothers »

I really like Taylor's Lemon Lime cream. It doesn't have any of the bad stuff, it's all good! :lol:
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I think the air we breathe and water we drink has more pollutants than that shaving cream. :wink:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

FDA web site http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/Productand ... 109655.htm says "there is no reason for consumers to be alarmed based on the use of these substances in cosmetics." TEA is listed among the substances that need not cause alarm. Please read the web page in full. The FDA is a credible source of information (unless, of course, one is a conspiracy theorist who believes "the government is out to get us.")
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Nitrox wrote:I think the air we breathe and water we drink has more pollutants than that shaving cream. :wink:
:lol:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

so a guy sits down at his computer and thinks, humm, who can I scare today.
Regards,
Squire
Exapno

Post by Exapno »

druphus wrote:Everything has a cancer link starting with the sugar you put in your coffee/tea!
Indeed. I read William Duffy's 'Sugar Blues' on that subject. Quite an interesting read.
"I don't know whether my life has been a success or a failure. But not having any anxiety about becoming one instead of the other, and just taking things as they come along, I've had a lot of extra time to enjoy life."
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

brothers wrote:I really like Taylor's Lemon Lime cream. It doesn't have any of the bad stuff, it's all good! :lol:
Ditto. One of my absolute faves. Nice to know that the FDA sees no risk using it, though in my case, there is a risk: addiction!

Dave
Last edited by DavidB on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raag

Post by Raag »

If there's no research or information indicating as such aside from one inflammatory Amazon review, I wouldn't be too concerned...
http://www.mensbiz.com.au/
Australian stockist of guys' shaving and grooming gear.
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

Exapno wrote:
Indeed. I read William Duffy's 'Sugar Blues' on that subject. Quite an interesting read.
Great to know you have read that book too!It was my "introduction" to macrobiotics.
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

I have three nipples now and crazy dreams about shaving my face and ear lobes. I think its due to carcinogens in the shave products I use. My armpits are sweating profusely from the simple scent of lavender. I assume the reason for my 3rd breast.

All seriousness....... No need for explanations. No harm from anything. I have literally bathed in kerosene and gasoline(not by choice) and still living a great life. Shaving products will not hurt you.
Shawn
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Can't help feeling that if it were that easy to get cancer, it would be that easy to cure it, too.

An oncologist friend once told me there are two great popular myths about cancer:

(1) If you do <X> you will get cancer.

(2) If you don't do <X> you won't get cancer.

She also said that almost everything written in the popular/lay media about cancer is untrue.

My own feeling is: read "The Emperor of All Maladies" by Siddartha Mukerjee, then forget about cancer and enjoy your shave.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

I doubt greatly that there is any kind of risk of getting cancer from these shaving creams.

Gareth
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Looking back over the years, it appears that many things that our "brightest and best" thought were so -- were not so. The earth is round, not square. The sun is the center our universe, not the earth. Man will never get to Mars. Remember oat bran, which was supposed to be the super-food cure-all for everything that ails you? There are a zillion more examples, but the point is made. Be skeptical about all wide-eyed claims, both from scientists and from politicians.