Lathering Trumper soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
DavidB

Lathering Trumper soaps

Post by DavidB »

I just got a puck of Trumper Violet. Love the scent... more subtle than the cream, which is just right. I've had no problem lathering with it, but the lather doesn't seem to perform quite as wonderfully as Trumper cream. Seems not quite as rich. Is this a matter of spending more time with it, or is lather with Trumper soaps different than the creams?

Dave
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Great question. Let's see if Tieste jumps in on this discussion.
95%

Post by 95% »

My cake of Violets, recently finished, was a good latherer, though it's tough to compare a soap to a cream. The latter usually gives me a slightly richer lather. But I do get best results if I lather a Trumper soap with a boar brush.

I agree that the Violets soap has a wonderful scent, which is not exactly matched by the Violets cream.
Porter
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

My experience with the current round of Trumpers soaps is that they prroduce a lather that, as described by Dr. Moss, is "crisp". It is not as creamy as the tallow Trumpers or current soaps like Harris or Tabac. It is very serviceable, but I don't care for it as much as these other soaps and Trumpers costs as much or more. Still, the scents are excellent.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

try less water

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

I've only ever used the Rose, which I purchased circa 2007, so I do believe it falls under the veggie crisper bracket.

Either way, it is quite unique in the fact that the only category I would grade it high is scent. The lather goes on great, but deteriorates rather quickly in comparison to Tabac, MWF and Harris. The soap is far from the slickest either. I even get somewhat of a squeaky clean type resistance when using it.

Back to the unique comment...despite these shortfalls, I find myself using it three to four times a week because I almost always get near perfect shaves with it. Paired with Hammam Bouquet...Perfect. It just works, so I try not to question it!

Weird...
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Esoteric83 wrote:Paired with Hammam Bouquet...Perfect. It just works, so I try not to question it!

Weird...
Give Klar Kabinnett a try if you can get your hands on some.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

The brick soap, correct? Not the tin? Fendrihan stocks it now. May have to give er a go.
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Royalshave.com also caries KK, though it is in California not in Canada. I think they ship internationally.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Esoteric83 wrote:The brick soap, correct? Not the tin? Fendrihan stocks it now. May have to give er a go.
Yup. To my nose its in the same theme as Hammam, but heavier on the sandalwood. The rose is in the back.
Best,
Chris

Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I agree with Porter and Chris. Generally I find that the lather from tripple milled soaps gets better and better if you use the same soap regularly. My guess is that the upper layer of the soap gets a bit softer from regular use (some let the soap soak in water before use).
Your choice of brush might also affect the lather. With a badger, I agree with Clive in using less water and spending a bit more time adding drops of water, and with a boar I just use a wet brush.
I´ve never found Trumpers lather lacking, though. On a side note I´ve been using my badgers and boars on a T&H Luxury for almost two weeks now. The lather has been "crisper" than with the MWF I used before the T&H, but the shaves have been just as superb 8)
Eric
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

slackskin wrote:Great question. Let's see if Tieste jumps in on this discussion.
Well,Im not a Trumper expert,but I never had a problem lathering any of the Trumper soap,but the Eucris and that changed after watching this video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj16M3Rc ... r_embedded

And from this bubbly lather :

to this thick,creamy lather :

there is nothing than loading the brush more and add water in drops (like 10 or so).

For the rest of the Geo F Trumper soaps,both the ones with Potassium/Sodium Sterates (currently the rose and the violet) and the Sodium Palmate ones (the limes and almond) load the brush for over 30 seconds (its a triple milled soap!!) and add water to the mix,thats all.
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

And the words of Zach comes to my mind,when using a tipple milled shaving soap : "load the brush like there is no tomorrow and make shaving cream from a shaving soap".The lather would be so thick,that you will be amazed by it.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

thats enough lather for an army!!!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

fallingwickets wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

thats enough lather for an army!!!

clive
It was,Clive,it was...so the "complaint" that Geo F Trumper Eucris doesnt lathers is a MYTH Its lathers and very well,if you know how to use a triple milled shaving soap.as well as the other Trumper soaps.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Dave, Well, personally I've always felt that the lather from the top shelf English creams and hard soaps is a little bit different....and especially so with the more recent palm oil based soaps like Trumpers. But the difference I experiance is not that easy to put into words. The hard soap lather seems somehow a little 'drier' and lies very close to the skin ( if I make the lather wetter by using more water than it becomes too thin...at least for me ). The best cream lathers seem a little more...well...'creamier' and offer a slightly greater degree of cushion to the skin. As one can see from my SOTD entries I use both creams and hard soaps these days but if I had to choose I slightly prefer the creams. Just as an OT side note, the most recent pot of Harris's cream that I have ( Rose ) lathers like the better English creams did ten years ago; very concentrated and rich.
Regards,
Gordon
jss

Post by jss »

Gordon..Is the Harris Rose, prone to staining brushes??

Best,
Julian
Cap'n CutThroat

Post by Cap'n CutThroat »

jss wrote:Gordon..Is the Harris Rose, prone to staining brushes??

Best,
Julian

I haven't had that problem.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Neither have I.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jss

Post by jss »

Thanks Cap..

Thanks Gary..

I haven't used Harris creams..But I had difficulty with Trumper's Violet..I am looking for a non-staining floral to replace it....

Julian