Truefitt & Hill shaving soaps - new products coming

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Truefitt & Hill shaving soaps - new products coming

Post by brothers »

As rumored, T&H is announcing September 1 as the availability date of their new fragrances in shaving soaps, Sandalwood and 1805. Not listed on the USA website, only London under new products. Here.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Thanks Gary. That 1805 is very intriguing, as I like the cream very much.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

FYI, these soaps will have the exact same formulation as their current "Luxury Soap." Only the scent will be different.

I know some people like their current soap, but many do not. Too bad they didn't improve the formulation while they were changing the scent.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well....I hope that they turn out to be okay, but I have my doubts. The current version of their Luxury Shave Soap has received considerable negative feedback from some knowledgeable shavers to be sure. Also, a few years ago Brittney, of T&H NA, sent me a sample of a proto-type of T&H 1805 hard shave soap and it was bloody awful. It was like that dud batch of Floris No 89 soap that Buzz and a few others of us were unfortunate enough to try. The stuff wouldn't lather worth a damn no matter what one did with it. Okay fine...I know...that was a proto-type and not necessarily what they have wound up now offering, but still, it was not an encouraging experiance. Fortunately, I can calmly await other members verdicts on this new soap as neither their new 'sandalwood' scent, nor 1805, appeal to me anyway.
Regards,
Gordon
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

I'd enjoy Grafton if it performed like the hard soap from circa 2005-2006. 1805 never really wowed me as a scent. St. James by Taylor is about as best the aquatic genre gets for me, scent wise in the cream.
Gene

Post by Gene »

(Posted from Beaumont, TX more on that later)

I had a tub of the T&H Sandalwood I bough several years ago from Gareth. I was fantastic, and ranked number one on my all time favorite list.

If the new cream performed as well that would be great, but the scent...if it has changed I probably would not like it as much.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

The 1805 range from Truefitt & Hill has never appealed to me, so I shall most likely be passing on that, however, I may check out the Sandalwood shaving soap when I'm in London later this month.

It will have a tough act to follow when pitched against Trumper's Sandalwood, though....

Gareth
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gareth, Yes, and keep in mind that the scent of the T&H 'Sandalwood' products has indeed changed significently. Let us know what you discover.
Regards,
Gordon
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

From my T&H email update:

"Due to the popularity of our 1805 and Sandalwood fragrances, we have
expanded these lines to include shaving soap.

Just like our Luxury Shaving soap, our new 1805 and Sandalwood shaving soaps are sure to give you a perfect shave, and leave your skin feeling and smelling great all day long."

I can forward the email if you want it....it has pictures and all!!
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
rtaylor61
Old Spice

Post by rtaylor61 »

I was in on the "testing" of the 1805 Shave Soap. Sworn to secrecy. It's been so long back, I'd almost forgotten. This was back when T&H still had their own forum. I don't think what I tested what a finalized product, but it was good. Used it for 30 days straight, and would have gone another 60 if it had lasted. They sent me a small "bar" of soap. Not a puck. I'll have to order this.

Randy
"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
oldtrout

Post by oldtrout »

I received a bowl and tub of 1805 last week.

I've read that the soap is a so-so performer, I beg to differ.
A thick lather was produced with little effort on my part.
I purchased the soap to superlather with the cream, but I see myself using the soap as a stand alone product as well. I mostly use soaps anyway.

The cream, however, is fantastic. I can't put my finger on what I find so special about the T&H creams.

So, I'll say T&H creams are my favorite and leave it at that.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I have never been a big fan of cologne scented shave creams or soaps, having tried Floris and others. Give me the limes, the rose, the sandalwood, the lavendar. I do like T&H creams.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Sam, I agree. Even with scents that I like in cologne format, like Taylors Sandalwood, when translated into the scent of a shave cream it is often just too strong for me; and most cologne scented creams are in scents I don't especially like in the first place. The one exception for me has been the Trumpers Spanish Leather cream. To begin with, it's one of my most favourite scents and with this one they managed not to overdue it. BTW, I have to wonder if Randy was sent the same lot of 'experimental' T&H 1805 shave soap to try, because the stuff I was sent was wretched.
Regards,
Gordon
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Like Sam and Gordon, I am simple in my fragrance tastes with soaps.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think a lot of us also share this opinion.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

+1 on traditional scents. I've been mostly using lavender and almond scented soaps and creams the last 6 months.

I do like the Blenheim Bouquet cream and C&E Sienna, though :)
Eric
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Eric, Yeah, I thought of one more that I'm okay with ( besides the Trumpers SL ); the D R Harris's Arlington scented cream. Not my favourite of theirs, to be sure, but I like it well enough. To be honest, I've never tried the Penhaligon's creams. They've always been very expensive and when I've been in stores that carried their products, well, I've always had other priorities. And since the less pricey creams from Trumper, T&H, etc. worked excellently for me, I never forked over the extra dough. I assume I'd like their English Fern, and probably their BB, creams IF they haven't applied the scent with too heavy a hand.
Regards,
Gordon
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

oldtrout wrote:I received a bowl and tub of 1805 last week.

I've read that the soap is a so-so performer, I beg to differ.
A thick lather was produced with little effort on my part.
I purchased the soap to superlather with the cream, but I see myself using the soap as a stand alone product as well. I mostly use soaps anyway.

The cream, however, is fantastic. I can't put my finger on what I find so special about the T&H creams.

So, I'll say T&H creams are my favorite and leave it at that.
I think you did put your finger on why you like the T&H creams. Thick lather and most likely a pleasant though not overpowering scent.

I have 3 T&H creams, 1805, Grafton and Trafalgar. Can't decide which I like best cause they are all sooooo good. Only hang up with making them my exclusive creams is the price.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

the Penhaligon's creams are simply wonderful.

Castile cream was the single most satisfying shaving software I've ever tried; it's a damn shame they don't make it anymore.

I'm not a cream guy, but I would buy Castile in a heartbeat if they brought it back. I enjoyed the T&H samples I bought, but not enough to get me to buy a whole tub.

My wife bought me a tub of Trumper's Lime, and I used it every Sunday and once in a while during the week. It was a nice cream and I enjoyed the scent.

Bottom line, though, is that I'm basically a soap guy. If more people like the 1805 soap, I could see giving it a try, because I really like the scent of 1805.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

I have a couple of the small sized T&H unscented soaps that i use in my travel kit. It fits in a small round plastic container that I picked up at The Container store perfectly. The soap is a solid performer, but the lack of a discernible scent is a big negative for me. I'll likely pick up a sandalwood next time I'm at the Truefitt store in Chicago.
Cheers,

Craig