Truefitt & Hill shaving soaps - new products coming

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Just wondering if anyone has tried the new soaps?
Eric
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Craig, Just a caution, since you've been away for awhile, there's good reason to believe that the current T&H hard shave soap(s) are not the same, or as good, as any you may have bought a few years ago.
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Thanks for the warning Gordon. Any thoughts as to what changed? Perhaps they're outsourcing production elsewhere??
Cheers,

Craig
oldtrout

Post by oldtrout »

I used T&H 1805 soap yesterday and HR Harris Arlington soap today.

Except for scent, IMO they are comparable.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

bernards66 wrote:Craig, Just a caution, since you've been away for awhile, there's good reason to believe that the current T&H hard shave soap(s) are not the same, or as good, as any you may have bought a few years ago.
Regards,
Gordon
FWIW, I've actually heard the opposite: namely, that the new soaps lather better than the old one did. oldtrout's post would suggest that it may be true. Certainly nobody really thought the old T&H soap was a good as D.R. Harris.
"If we had steak, we could have steak and eggs, if we had some eggs."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Craig, Well, yes that would be the most likely reason; a different supplier or the supplier changing their own soap whether T&H liked it or not. I must repeat that I have not personally tried any of their hard shave soaps at all lately and am only familiar with their 'Luxury shave soap' that I bought in the early 2000s, which was good although ( IMO ) not as good as Harris's or a couple of others. My caution was based on reviews by others of more recent T&H soap offerings. I do know that a proto-type that was sent to me to test a few years back was awful, but that was only a proto-type. If you decide to go ahead and purchase any new T&H soap let us know what you think.
Regards,
Gordon
oldtrout

Post by oldtrout »

oldtrout wrote:I used T&H 1805 soap yesterday and HR Harris Arlington soap today.

Except for scent, IMO they are comparable.
I went back and did a side by side test. The HR Harris creates a thicker lather for me with less product. I have to load the brush longer with the T&H soap to produce a comparable lather.

Still, I think these are two great English soaps and both are among my favorites.
One can't believe everything one reads on the internet -- Abraham Lincoln
oldtrout

Re: Truefitt & Hill shaving soaps - new products coming

Post by oldtrout »

I have revisited the T&H / DR harris soap comaprison. I was wrong, the DR Harris is easier (for me) to create a great lather. I can create great lather with the T&H 1805, but not every time with every brush like I can with DR Harris. I think I will stick with T&H creams and forego buying their soaps, they are good soaps but great creams..
One can't believe everything one reads on the internet -- Abraham Lincoln
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Thanks for the update; an interesting re-evaluation which comes out something like how I compared the T&H Luxury Shave Soap of the early 2000s with the Harris's. Back then the T&H hard shave soap was good, I thought, but not one of the 'best'. I certainly agree that their soft creams can not be beat.
Regards,
Gordon
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Gordon, isn't the T&H Luxury shave soap vegetable based?
I agree with your assessment of it; it smells great but the lather doesn't quite reach the level of the Harris soaps.
I still have a fondness for it though as it was one of the first 'real' shave soaps I purchased.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bruno, Yes, as far as I can remember the T&H Luxury shave soap was palm oil based even back then. They and Taylors were the first to go with a veggie base for both their shave and bath soaps whilst Trumper, Penhaligon's, and Floris were still using tallow at that point.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I liked it. I haven't bought any T&H Luxury soap in quite some time but years ago it was a favorite both for scent and performance.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I had a puck of the T&H Lavender soap but there were problems. I'm not missing it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I on the other hand wish I'd bought more . . . not the first time I've said that.
Regards,
Squire
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Squire wrote:I liked it. I haven't bought any T&H Luxury soap in quite some time but years ago it was a favorite both for scent and performance.
Squire, the reason I like the Luxury soap is because of the scent. It's a soft, powdery scent that I haven't found in any other soap up to now.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

A big + on the scent, one of the best on the market.
Good shaving,

Gary
brothers

Post by brothers »

Bruno and Gary, the fragrance, powdery and a little too sweet for my tastes, and the fact that it just didn't seem to be my cup of tea (ph level must have been a bit off, it burned, and hardly anything does that to me).
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

brothers wrote:Bruno and Gary, the fragrance, powdery and a little too sweet for my tastes, and the fact that it just didn't seem to be my cup of tea (ph level must have been a bit off, it burned, and hardly anything does that to me).
While the scent to me was quintessential English Gentlemen, it was tough to make up a good lather and consequently was somewhat of a poor shave. Despite that, I kept that puck around for a long time for the good old "shave product huffing".
Good shaving,

Gary