Valobra Stick -- A Dark Horse?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
BeatlesFan

Valobra Stick -- A Dark Horse?

Post by BeatlesFan »

Definition of DARK HORSE (from Webster's online):
"A usually little known contender (as a racehorse) that makes an unexpectedly good showing."

Valobra shave stick doesn't get too much press around here, but I hereby respectfully submit that it is among the very best soaps on the market. Hence, a dark horse!

My usual "go to" soaps are Harris (Almond or Arlington) or Tabac.

But, just lately, I've been getting into my Valobra shave stick. I've had it for some time, but I'm not sure I'd ever properly appreciated it, as I don't generally use sticks, and it took me awhile to learn to lather it properly.

I think I've got the knack of it now, and when you do get it properly lathered up . . . oh yeah! The stuff is fan-freakin' tastic. Very slick and comfortable. I like the "minimalist" clean scent. Nicely moisturizing. I think its performance is up there with the "big boys."

Anybody else use Valobra hard soap? What are your experiences?
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I sliced mine up and put it in a wooden bowl. That and Speick are crazy good and underappreciated.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

The stick did not work for me...just did not have the scent and lather, but the soft soap does. Glad it is good for you.

Ed
kronos9

Post by kronos9 »

I found the Valobra stick to be very slick and with a clean, soapy scent. I also found that using shave sticks is not my favorite way to generate a lather. When my stick of Valobra dwindled down to a disk, I incorporated it into the center of some Mama Bear's unscented glycerin soap.
Ed
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

kronos9 wrote:I found the Valobra stick to be very slick and with a clean, soapy scent. I also found that using shave sticks is not my favorite way to generate a lather. When my stick of Valobra dwindled down to a disk, I incorporated it into the center of some Mama Bear's unscented glycerin soap.
Good to see you ED.

The Valobra stick is virtually the same formula as AOS shaving soaps. It is one of thee best soaps on the market and every bit the equal of the other top shelf soaps.

That said my skin does not agree with it and it gets major burn and irritation from it. I suspect that it's the scenting as I have no problems using AOS shaving soap.

Enjoy in good health.

Chris
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

The Valobra Shave Stick (grated up and converted into a cake) and its AOS variants are my favorites of all soaps, and I view them as one soap, really.

Valobra hard soap just does exactly what I want it to.

- Murray
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have used Valbora in stick form and found it a more than adequate performer and have recommended it over time to many. Every now and again we get a thread like this and we all come out in praise of this little known wonder of a soap. Reminds me of the odd Arko threads that pop up every now and again with the same message.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I've used it as a stick, but now prefer it in puck form. Yes, it's a very good soap. Not among the soaps with a #10 rating IMO, but certainly among the best of the mid grade soaps, certainly a 7 and maybe an 8.

I actually like the no nonsense "just soap" scent that it has.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Re: Valobra Stick -- A Dark Horse?

Post by brothers »

BeatlesFan wrote:I hereby respectfully submit that it is among the very best soaps on the market.
Valobra and Speick soaps are indeed among the very best performing on the market.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

How is this packaged -- in foil, or in a twist-up tube? I have seen pictures on the net, but no detail on packaging. It is on my list to try, I'm just curious. Thanks, guys.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I just checked... It's been so long since mine was in the form of a stick.

After the box is opened, you're greated by the paper wrapped stick. Remove the paper wrapping and it's a bare stick with maybe 1" at the base covered by foil.

Long ago I turned mine into a puck and it works just a nicely but (IMO) with less mess.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

Foil I believe. How close to the AOS soaps is this stuff performance wise? Does it have that same clay base note to it?

While it lather great, my bowl of AOS lemon collects dust as the scent bores me.
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

I grate my Valobra stick and put it in a bowl. In my personal experience, it produces a top notch lather. The fragrance could be a tad better, but it's not strong enough to be offensive.
Lynn
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

I have one also, and I enjoy it from time to time. I like the scent, and it lathers great.
JEFF
JRTASTER

valobra

Post by JRTASTER »

I bought a stick from Connaught and just realized I must have "misplaced" it during my recent move.

Comparisons to the D.R. Harris almond soap have rekindled my interest. Since it is also mentioned in the same breath as AOS , I'm also assuming that the Valobra stick is likewise tallow based. Is this correct???

Thanks,

jr/john
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Yes, it is tallow.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

According to what I have read, the stick version is tallow based, but the cream version is not.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

EL Alamein wrote:
Good to see you ED.

The Valobra stick is virtually the same formula as AOS shaving soaps. It is one of thee best soaps on the market and every bit the equal of the other top shelf soaps.

That said my skin does not agree with it and it gets major burn and irritation from it. I suspect that it's the scenting as I have no problems using AOS shaving soap.

Enjoy in good health.

Chris
It is one of the only soaps I can use daily without getting irritation, go figure. The performance is first class.
Richard
nav

Post by nav »

I didn't like Valobra stick at all. The scent was awesome but the performance was just not there for me and in addition, it left my face greasy after the shave. In fact, all Italian soaps leave my face greasy so I don't use them any longer.

Speick stick on the otherhand is fan-bloody-tastic!!!
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

nav wrote:I didn't like Valobra stick at all. The scent was awesome but the performance was just not there for me and in addition, it left my face greasy after the shave. In fact, all Italian soaps leave my face greasy so I don't use them any longer.

Speick stick on the otherhand is fan-bloody-tastic!!!
Then you need to stay away from the dwindling remaining quantities of no longer made P.160. It has that quality to the max. That's precisely why most lovers of P.160 love it and hoard it.
Brian