Soaps and Hard Water

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Gareth
Taylorman

Soaps and Hard Water

Post by Gareth »

It's been two years since I moved to where I am now, and in that time I've mainly used creams with our very hard water from the tap.

Recently, I've used some of my soaps, but they don't seem to be cutting it like they used to with the soft water. The lather is very thin; in fact it hardly seems to lather at all, really. I've tried adding more soap from the puck but to little avail.

Any tips?

Gareth
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

I live on an area with very , very hard water and with soaps I load my brush over 40 or 50 seconds ,specially with triple milled soaps.If the soap is not a "dud" , then I obtain plenty of thick lather with no problem , even from Mitchell's Wool Fat.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gareth when I had hard water I just kept working the soap with the brush until it produced a suitable lather. I suspect more air in the mix is more important than more soap.
Regards,
Squire
JRTASTER

Post by JRTASTER »

Gareth,
Perhaps much too obvious an answer but how about distilled water nearby solely for building lather. In a small cup or scuttle, popped in microwave to heat , load brush with water, scrub on soap, face lather and voila a soft water shave!
Either my suggestion is too simple or too complex if the goal is to keep the process manageable.
Mind you, I've never tried it so...
jr/john
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

we have hard water, here in southern new jersey. loaded with iron.

and i have mainly used soaps for my lather. MWF is my main soap.

i get great lather and dont do anything special to get it. a few years back i was sent to Alabama and the water was softer there and that was my first time to experience making lather with different water. I admit I loved the lather I made there.

went I returned to snj i could really tell the difference. with in a couple weeks being back home with hard water I adjusted and still make great lather.

if anything i probaby use a bit more soap to get my lather as compared to when I used softer water

marc
druphus

Post by druphus »

Teiste wrote:I live on an area with very , very hard water and with soaps I load my brush over 40 or 50 seconds ,specially with triple milled soaps.If the soap is not a "dud" , then I obtain plenty of thick lather with no problem , even from Mitchell's Wool Fat.
I do a full minute - as in "...1000-1, 1000-2..." - I sprinkle more water onto the soap with my finger tips every 15 seconds, and never take the brush to either my face or the bowl until 1000-60!

I don't think my water is even considered that hard (150gr).
Regards,
Andy
brothers

Post by brothers »

Our water's hard. It works with creams, but not soaps. On the counter in the bathroom, next to my brushes and lather bowl, I have a 16 ounce plastic water bottle filled with distilled water. When I use a soap, I pour a bit of the distilled water on the soap, and in a separate little bowl I soak my brush. Then I just do what we all do, build the lather and shave. All the washing and rinsing is just tap water. I have a gallon jug of distilled water under the counter so I can refill the little bottle every so often.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Gary, you don't heat up the distilled water? I like my lather warm, and find it easier to build up with hot tap water.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
brothers

Post by brothers »

I don't heat my water any more. I find that room temperature water is a non-issue with the distilled, and when using tap water with creams, warm tap water is also a non-issue. I don't use cold water to shave with.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gareth, Yeah, that has been my experiance also. The water here is fairly hard and while I can get an acceptable lather with hard soaps, it is not as good as what I get with the top shelf creams and it's obvious that the soaps would lather better if the water was softer. I've seen films of guys lathering up hard soaps in areas that I know have really 'good' water and they get mounds of lather with little effort. That is just not possible here.
Regards,
Gordon
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Interesting to hear how you all deal with it; I think I'll just have to try loading more soap into the brush for longer. I guess the 30 or so seconds I've been doing just isn't long enough. I'm a little reluctant to go down the whole distilled water route because of the perceived hassle factor.

I've just had an exemplary shave with Trumper's Rose cream (as usual), and I'd love the soaps to work just as we'll.

Thanks, guys.

Gareth
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

Never gone as far to test it, but otown suburbs have been stated to have fairly soft water.

Over the past year, when using soaps, my method is to load with a brush that is on the wetter side (soak, shake very lightly) and load for an extended period of time, as opposed to drier brush with drops into the mix as the lather progresses. Then face lather. A tad bubbly and messy at first, but comes to life about 60-80 seconds in. This method has brought DR Harris to a new level for me. I would use the Arlington soap 4-5 time a year, maybe. Now it gets 3 -4 weekly runs. Don't worry about the puck, it is not going anywhere anytime soon.

This method works well with MWF and creates a lather with Tabac that barely makes it down the drain. My guess is that Tabac ridicules the threat of hard water 8) Stuff could stop a bullet.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

have to be the odd one.....I luv the hard water and think lathering was easier with it and in fact i often half jokingly comment whenever this topic comes up that I would be more than willing to trade bottles of soft water for bottles of hard

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

I heard a report today, that about 85% of Americans have hard water. Wow - more than I would have thought. So those of us who have soft water are in the minority AND very lucky.
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Here in Vermont the water is 'stated' as being right in the middle but I suspect it is actually hard. We put in a water softener a couple of years ago for the laundry & dishes and the difference is night and day. Soaps lather beautifully. My favorite though really is the NYC water. Soft and I find it lathers anything you have.

Max
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Max, Yeah, I've had really good results with shave products when I've stayed in NYC also. The water in the greater San Francisco area is said to be aces for lathering. Several of our members, including Chris Fisher, live in that area and they seem to have no trouble lathering just about anything. But that's not the story in most of Florida unfortunately.
Regards,
Gordon
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

NYC water is mostly rainfall that collects in surface reservoirs and doesn't contact limestone. I know because I fished those reservoirs many years ago. Rainfall is soft (distilled) water.

Florida water travels through underground acquifers made of limestone and is quite hard.

My water comes to me through granite and it's extremely soft, but some places in Maine do have limestone deposits and the water is hard. We have a friend who lives 60 miles inland (20 road miles from us) and her water comes from a water deposit from the iceage and her water is quite salty, clearly 10,000 years old at least.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

@Gareth.

Where I live the water is moderately hard. I rent a softener. Cost is about $17 a month.

I feel that is a very satisfactory price for the benefits. It may be something to consider in your circumstances.
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Brian, Yeah, the limestone acquifer is the deal here ( which, incidentally, they are rapidly depleating ). Makes for hard water pretty much all over the state.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Makes for some great fishing streams thoughl
Regards,
Squire