Taylor Sandalwood shave soap

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Taylor Sandalwood shave soap

Post by Squire »

Didn't want to derail the thread Chris started on Trumper's Sandalwood so thought I'd make a new post.

My question is has anyone tried a recent version of Taylor's Sandalwood shave soap?
Regards,
Squire
Teiste

Post by Teiste »

I have it and performs very well indeed.Palm oil based and a nicer scent than the Trumper sandalwood one , but I like both , since they're very different to any other sandalwood scents I have tried so far , including the AoS one.This one has some leathery notes with some fresh ones , and for me , brilliant combination.Better than the C&E Mysore Sandalwood or current one , Caswell Massey , and I need to try the new T&H sandalwood to compare.
I also have the TOBS sandalwood shaving stick ,which is basically a hard cream on a stick container with the same scent than the hard soap but different ingredients.Its first ingredient is glycerin , go figure.
Anyway , back to the point , the sandalwood soap is a nice one and I will re purchase again.
In the other hand , if you ask me about the Lavander refill , I will say no , thanks : the one which came on the wooden bowl (different formulation) was a much better shaving soap.Very sweet scented too.
The Jermyn Street is another very good shaving soap with a GREAT scent.Palm Based too (no coconut oil at all) and excellent performer.
The Luxury one , is the same than the old Truefitt and Hill (with parafinum liquidum) , Vulfix , Culmak , Trumper Oxford, John Lewis etc and has a better lavender scent than the current TOBS lavender soap.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I have tried it and liked it a lot! The scent was similar to Taylor's Sandalwood Cream. I think the scent of the cream is a little more intense though.

The soap provides thick rich lather as does the cream!

Good stuff!

Steve
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I asked because I used it a lot some time ago but I haven't bought any in eight years or so and thought I'd get a take on the recent offering.
Regards,
Squire
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Interesting, yes, when I have some extra time I will visit that board.
Regards,
Squire
slackskin

Post by slackskin »

Squire -

Gordon has a new puck of Trumper's Sandalwood, which I sent him in exchange for DRH Sandalwood. I believe he likes it.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Thanks slack, that's good to know. I used Trumper's version in the past and was considering what to stock up on now hence my renewed interest in Taylor.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Actually, what I have is the Trumpers Almond hard shave soap, and it is fine. The Taylors version of sandalwood hard soap I have never actually tried, neither the old nor the new incarnation, although I have used the older Lavender one and it was very good. Chris ( from Phil. ) says that the new one is no longer sterate based and I gather is not quite as good. Perhaps he, or others familiar with the current product, will chime in.
Regards,
Gordon
95%

Post by 95% »

Squire - my cake is two or three years old. It lathers well and has exactly the same scent as Taylor's sandalwood cologne and aftershave balm, if you're familiar with them. I seldom use the soap because these days I'm into more subtle fragrances. This one packs a real punch, so if you're in a sandalwood frame of mind, it'll do the trick.
Porter
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Squire if you used trumpers and liked it, why taylors now? OOops, forgot where i was....sorry!!!! :lol:

clive

I used taylors for 15+ years and it was excellent......how bad could the newer version be?
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Guys I used both Trumpers and Taylors sandalwood soaps for years.

Trumper soaps are not getting very good press now so I was curious how the current Taylor's version was holding up.
Regards,
Squire
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

Squire wrote:Interesting, yes, when I have some extra time I will visit that board.
You really should peek in there sometime. If you like the British sense of humor, it can be a fun place. Not that SMF isn't a laugh riot........

Martin
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yes Martin, I've visited in a Brit fly fishing board and some of those guys can turn a phrase.
Regards,
Squire
Mahyar

Post by Mahyar »

I can irritation from this cream