Castle Forbes Limes

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Castle Forbes Limes

Post by brothers »

For best results with the Castle Forbes all I do is run less than 1 teaspoon of very warm tap water on top of the cream (very stiff cream). Then I load the barely moist badger brush on the cream for around 10 to 15 seconds. Then I move to the lather bowl, adding water as needed until I've got the inevitable avalanche of thick crisp lather. It's great stuff! (I want to share this from my SOTD post this morning. :lol: )
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I like the Castle Forbes lime cream, very nice scent, but I don't treat it differently from other make creams and I no longer buy it because
the lather doesn't justify it's price.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire, it's so thick when I scoop out a bit and put it in a lather bowl there's usually a blob of the product that doesn't fully disolve into the brush, causing a waste of product. I've tried smooshing the little blob around the bottom or inside of the lather bowl with my finger or thumb, but even that doesn't seem to fully disolve it. When I use the direct load approach of swishing the brush tips around the surface of the very thick product it seems to eliminate the blob factor, and use less product as a result. Of course other guys' opinions and experiences are apt to vary. Quality of the lather in my particular case is one thing I like about CF creams.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Brush and water do the trick for me Gary . . . that and stubbornness I suppose.
Regards,
Squire
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Re: Castle Forbes Limes

Post by L. Martino »

brothers wrote:For best results with the Castle Forbes all I do is run less than 1 teaspoon of very warm tap water on top of the cream (very stiff cream). Then I load the barely moist badger brush on the cream for around 10 to 15 seconds. )
I found it lathers best with a small amount of cream in a bowl with 1-2 tablespoons hot water.,

The stuff's too thick unless it's cut with hot water. I'll let the cream sit in 1-2 teaspoons of really hot water while the hot towel prep is happening. Only thing I do differently is face lather, using that nicely loaded brush. I'll add a few tablespoons of hot water to that empty bowl and wet my brush as needed during lathering. Try that sometime if you haven't yet.

Martin
Last edited by L. Martino on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

brothers wrote:Squire, it's so thick when I scoop out a bit and put it in a lather bowl there's usually a blob of the product that doesn't fully disolve into the brush, causing a waste of product. I've tried smooshing the little blob around the bottom or inside of the lather bowl with my finger or thumb, but even that doesn't seem to fully disolve it. When I use the direct load approach of swishing the brush tips around the surface of the very thick product it seems to eliminate the blob factor, and use less product as a result. Of course other guys' opinions and experiences are apt to vary. Quality of the lather in my particular case is one thing I like about CF creams.

How is a blob a waste? It's not going anywhere soon, it will gladly mix in with the next supply you put in the lather bowl.
brothers

Post by brothers »

You've got a point. I guess I could get it out of the bowl with my fingers and put it back in the tub. Otherwise it goes down the drain, but fortunately I don't have any blobs to deal with when I just swirl on the cream.
Gary

Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

brothers wrote:You've got a point. I guess I could get it out of the bowl with my fingers and put it back in the tub. Otherwise it goes down the drain, but fortunately I don't have any blobs to deal with when I just swirl on the cream.

Sometimes a cream hardens and I treat it like a soap.

Are you sharing your bowl with someone, or will you get demerits for residue in your shaving bowl?

If not, the hard remains will be there tomorrow.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yeah, you're right of course. :lol:
Gary

Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I just dip my brush in the pot, like any other cream, and take it from there.
Eric
mineisanotherone

Re: Castle Forbes Limes

Post by mineisanotherone »

brothers wrote:For best results with the Castle Forbes all I do is run less than 1 teaspoon of very warm tap water on top of the cream (very stiff cream). Then I load the barely moist badger brush on the cream for around 10 to 15 seconds. Then I move to the lather bowl, adding water as needed until I've got the inevitable avalanche of thick crisp lather. It's great stuff! (I want to share this from my SOTD post this morning. :lol: )
Hello Gary, I have been using CF creams & pre shave balm for a number of years now, not quite sure why you are putting water on top of the cream??

Is the cream drying out, because you say the cream is very stiff. With CF creams in the 200ml tubs, there is an inner lid, do you replace this after you have dipped your brush in the cream !!!

I also find that the brush I am using at the time should be fairly dry, you do not need a huge amount. Add water with your fingers to the bowl too create a fantastic lather.

You can always add more water should their be a need.

Charles U.K
Nec Timere Nec Timide.
Shaving Mantra: Neither rashly nor Timidly.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think I mentioned adding a touch of water to it because it did seem to work great for me that day. I wouldn't disagree with you at all about letting the moist brush bring the water to the soap.
Gary

tester

Post by tester »

CF Limes...I found the scent outstanding...I found the performance just OK. The smallest amout of cream explodes into mounds of lather, but the slickness and cusion just wasn't there for me. I tried more cream and it left the lather too dry and sticky.

IMO CF limes isn't worth the $$. You can spend the same money on something that's worthwhile. Something like Acqua Di Parma costs a ton of $$, but its worth every penny.