Irisch Moos mystique and evolution

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
brothers

Irisch Moos mystique and evolution

Post by brothers »

About 4 years ago the makers of Tabac bought the Irisch Moos brand and introduced their versions of the soap and the cream. I've loved them both since I was first able to buy them from Paul Kox at The Dutch Shaving Shop. Now the soap's discontinued, which is horrible news, and the cream is still available at the usual sources, as far as I know. If it's been discontinued, I'm not aware of that. The soap and the cream have beautiful and distinctly different and unique fragrances, at least to my nose.

In the early days, I ordered my shaving cream from the Netherlands about 4 tubes at a time, and sold samples on the forums. Then I got all the soap one could reasonably use directly from Paul. Personally, I really love the musky grassy masculine fragrance of the cream. When the news broke about the discontinuance, I was able to secure ample backups of both products. Then I went to work to figure out how best to use them.

Here's how I do it. I use a boar brush and distilled water, and load the brush on the soap for a full minute. Then I add a dime-sized dollop of the cream in the center of my lather bowl. I take the soap-loaded brush to the lather bowl and build the lather I want, only adding water sparingly, if at all, to get the right consistency. The resulting lather is exquisite in texture and fragrance.

I've said it a million times, I'm a very lucky guy, and very appreciative.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

A million times? Quite a post count there Gary.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:A million times? Quite a post count there Gary.
:lol: Squire, I'm counting on you to keep me honest, my friend!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

I'd read that the W&M creams were merely acceptable. Do you use the cream to oomph up the scent or do you think its performance is just as good as the soap?

EDIT:Of course I meant M&W.
Last edited by cjc15153 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

cjc15153 wrote:I'd read that the W&M creams were merely acceptable. Do you use the cream to oomph up the scent or do you think its performance is just as good as the soap?
The performance of the cream is the same as Tabac cream. Although the IM cream is still available, I decided to drop the entire line when they discontinued the shave sticks. The shave sticks were the only product from the IM line that sold well for me. So it goes.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
brothers

Post by brothers »

cjc15153 wrote:I'd read that the W&M creams were merely acceptable. Do you use the cream to oomph up the scent or do you think its performance is just as good as the soap?
Chris, I think the two products enhance one another. The cream gives the fragrance a delicious jolt, and the soap gives the performance a kick in the lathering department.
Gary

greyhawk

Post by greyhawk »

I've only used the cream (tube), but it generates fabulous lather. I agree with Gary about the scent--really nice. I remember it was pretty cheap, so it's definitely worth it IMHO.
Tabac soap is great as well, so if IM is similar, I'd be interesting in trying it.